Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-22, 21:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / What speakers would you like to see Exaktbox support for?

What speakers would you like to see Exaktbox support for?
2014-09-24, 09:49 (This post was last modified: 2014-09-24 10:55 by dubselect.)
RE: What speakers would you like to see Exaktbox support for?
(2014-09-23 17:28)gavinm Wrote:  Today we're launching Akurate Exaktbox, Klimax Exaktbox and Exakt support for more speakers, such as Keltik, Akurate 212, Espek and B&W Nautilus. You heard me right, you can now upgrade the Nautilus to Exakt.
I would like to know (I suppose not only me) what is the difference between Akurate and Klimax Exaktboxes? Is there only difference in DACs? Or Klimax version has better crossovers as well?
The price for a single Klimax Exaktbox is £10.000. But what is the price for a single Akurate Exaktbox?
Thank you.
(2014-09-23 17:28)gavinm Wrote:  In this thread, we'd like to hear from you if you have any suggestions for other speakers we could add support for: Linn or non-Linn.
There are a lot of interesting speakers nowadays. I would suggest TAD CR1, Sonus Faber Guarneri, Wilson Benesch Endeavour and WB Discovery.
And it would be great to see new Linn Klimax level bookshelf speakers?

(2014-09-23 21:36)audiman Wrote:  
(2014-09-23 20:03)fetish230 Wrote:  The Klimax 320A...
+1
+1. Klimax 320A is the first candidat. But they are Aktiv, so I think the only one way to convert them to Exakt - exchange their original amp modules to Exakt modules (like in case with 350A).
There were no K320 passive versions, only Artikulat 320 (and it is extremely hard to find them now).
The other way is to convert 320A to passive version, but it will demand 4 power amps for each speaker. So this upgade will cost almost as much as the same for 350P.

P.S. Ooops... I didn't see this: http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/upgra...orik-stand
It changes situation... Hm. K320A can be used with it! Smile
I suppose Dorik may convert any 4(3 or 2)-way bookshelf speakers into Exakt...

KDSM (magical 4.19.797), K320A (Latest spec) + Original stands (DIY mod), K345
Accessories: Bertram Cuprio Flow cables; PS Audio P3; Isotek Aquarius Evo3; Symposium Rollerblock Series 2+, Jr. HDSE, Jr.+; Finite Elemente Cerapuc; SubDude; Vicoustic Wavewood.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-09-24, 09:51
It’s all starting to come together. Perhaps the IsoKlimax will be the next loudspeaker pinnacle.

Regarding Exakt passive, this seems to me to be a case of one step forward and two steps backward. Surely it is much better to aim for active digital crossover / speaker systems, whether Linn Exakt or otherwise. Isn’t the magnitude and phase corrected digital crossover the most important component in the Linn context?

In the meantime, any chance of an Exakt solution for modified Keltiks using SEAS M15CH002 mid and either Hiquphon OW1 or OW2 HF? I notice Falcon Acoustics now advertise the SEAS unit as a “Linn Keltik midrange upgrade”.
2014-09-24, 10:39 (This post was last modified: 2014-09-24 10:41 by kampak.)
Yesssss, please ;^)

+1 for Keltik.2 (SEAS/HIQ)

...but I think they wouldn´t...

A Record Player, a streamer, amps and Keltiks.2
2014-09-24, 11:00
(2014-09-24 09:49)dubselect Wrote:  The price for a single Klimax Exaktbox is £10.000. But what is the price for a single Akurate Exaktbox?
Thank you.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/linn-akudor...ade-option

Akurate box costs 4 grand according to this.

Sources: Antelope Zodiac Platinum with Dirac Live
Amps: Nord One UP NC500MBs (with Sonic Imagery 994 op amps)
Speakers: B&W 802D2s & 2x SVS SB13 Ultras
2014-09-24, 11:45 (This post was last modified: 2014-09-24 11:45 by dubselect.)
(2014-09-24 11:00)tomscrut Wrote:  
(2014-09-24 09:49)dubselect Wrote:  The price for a single Klimax Exaktbox is £10.000. But what is the price for a single Akurate Exaktbox?
Thank you.

Thank you. The price is attractive. And Akurate version has 10 outputs so one device is more than enough for almost any pair of speakers.
On the other hand the price difference is quite massive. This makes me think that Klimax will easily outperform Akurate in most of musical aspects. Klimax has better DACs and solid body.

KDSM (magical 4.19.797), K320A (Latest spec) + Original stands (DIY mod), K345
Accessories: Bertram Cuprio Flow cables; PS Audio P3; Isotek Aquarius Evo3; Symposium Rollerblock Series 2+, Jr. HDSE, Jr.+; Finite Elemente Cerapuc; SubDude; Vicoustic Wavewood.
2014-09-24, 11:45
Cool RE: What speakers would you like to see Exaktbox support for?
Great stuff, Linn - please consider PMC's fact range. fact.8 & fact.12

Oak LP12_Lingo1_Kore_Ittok III_nude Akiva | Unidisk 1.1/d | AKtuner
KK/2_AKontrol/0/d_KCT/d {Lejonklou K-200} 212 | 2250/d - 225 | AV5105 - Tukan | Sizmik 10.25 | Intersekt R4S5 | Isol-8 MiniSub Wave {Silvers}
+Technics SL1210s | Urei 1620 | Nakamichi System One | AV5125/d - Katan (Aktiv) | Roomamp 2i
2014-09-24, 12:31
(2014-09-24 11:45)dubselect Wrote:  
(2014-09-24 11:00)tomscrut Wrote:  
Thank you.

Thank you. The price is attractive. And Akurate version has 10 outputs so one device is more than enough for almost any pair of speakers.
On the other hand the price difference is quite massive. This makes me think that Klimax will easily outperform Akurate in most of musical aspects. Klimax has better DACs and solid body.

Yeah, you are talking 8 grand for AEDSM and one box, whats the price of the Klimax upgrade kit? 10k per box totalling 30 grand? Even if they added my speakers in some sort of active configuration at least I would only need one box (being 3 way) but it would still be 20 grand!

2014-09-24, 14:05
(2014-09-24 08:13)macrotech Wrote:  Yep, the idea would be to support passive speakers (like Devialet as already mentioned). It also allows an upgrading path for Linn speakers - you start Exakt passive, then move to Exakt Aktiv when funds allow to purchase extra power amps.
With ten channels and suitable software you could also mix and match a surround system, some active and some passive speakers. Many possibilities!
That ought to be "should" since we don't know what Linn has intended to do yet. Passive correction would require a turnabout from the "Aktiv is better" mentality, but it's nice to hope that it may happen.

(2014-09-24 09:51)fredbatch Wrote:  ...
Regarding Exakt passive, this seems to me to be a case of one step forward and two steps backward. Surely it is much better to aim for active digital crossover / speaker systems, whether Linn Exakt or otherwise. Isn’t the magnitude and phase corrected digital crossover the most important component in the Linn context?
While that is a good sentiment and makes sense when designing a speaker, sometimes, it's more practical to compensate for the vagaries of what's happening "in the box" with correction/compensation applied to the signal either before or after it. Also it allows use of a single amplifier instead of multiple amplifiers per speaker.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2014-09-24, 14:28 (This post was last modified: 2014-09-24 14:31 by linnrd.)
(2014-09-24 02:59)tomscrut Wrote:  I thought being active they would need less powerful amps rather than more powerful? And don't forget the Diamonds are a fair bit easier on amps than the N and D series.
Not necessarily. The voice coil has a lot to do with the reactance/impedance of the driver as well. As far as the Diamonds being easier than the D and N...not really. The measurements on both Diamonds and D are almost identical as far as the load presented to the amps goes. The N was a bit gnarlier. The problem doesn't necessarily go away or get minimized by gutting the crossover, especially for bass drivers; there's the dreaded back EMF to contend with as well. The dual coils may be of help there, but I can't see really how. I'll probably have more info later this week/early next week on that.

(2014-09-24 02:59)tomscrut Wrote:  And I guess they would do an average like Linn do on their legacy speakers. Linn must either have measured the Nautilus (multiple pairs?!) or got the info off B&W. I think the Nautilus may be one of the most impractical speakers likely to be Exakted to get to the Linn factory.
Not necessarily. B&W have each driver measurement for the 80x series in a database (each driver is assigned a serial number) so that they can ship out replacement drivers for a plug'n'play swap and maintain identical properties to the original. When I had to get a tweeter replaced, they asked for the serial number and then sent another driver (identical to mine within tolerance) and tied it's serial number to that of my speaker. They've been keeping tabs on this well before Linn started to do that; recording chains need a much tighter tolerance when they are creating the music we listen to. While I haven't any first-hand info on PMC and ATC, I would be expect that they have not being doing this for ages as well; down time=$$$ in the industry.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2014-09-24, 14:53
Oddly enough I think it was on the WhatHiFi article on this that did say B&W did cooperate on this so perhaps it could be as you say. The videos of the factory show each driver and xover and speaker as a whole being measured, I was aware that they did it but I wasn't aware they logged everything!