Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 03:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / What speakers would you like to see Exaktbox support for?

What speakers would you like to see Exaktbox support for?
2014-09-24, 16:10
RE: What speakers would you like to see Exaktbox support for?
Thanks Linn,

Can we get support for orginal Isobariks?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-09-24, 17:29
(2014-09-24 14:05)linnrd Wrote:  While that is a good sentiment and makes sense when designing a speaker, sometimes, it's more practical to compensate for the vagaries of what's happening "in the box" with correction/compensation applied to the signal either before or after it. Also it allows use of a single amplifier instead of multiple amplifiers per speaker.

and a much bigger market.

System 1: KDS/3 - Solos/D - Vivid V1.5
System 2: KDS/3 - Solos/D - Sonus Faber Amati Futura.
Cables: Vertere and Shunyata
Stuff: Richard Gray [RGPC]
2014-09-24, 20:51
Original Isobariks would certainly make sense, especially as the original Isobarik Aktiv crossovers are dying and rather costly to repair - if you can even find someone to do it.

ATCs larger models would certainly be a sensible possibility - the SCM 50, 100 and 150 models. First off all three models use the same midrange and tweeter with different size woofers so all have the same crossover points. Secondly, all three have an amplifier/crossover module installed in the back. Replace this with a plate with three sets of inputs and you have direct access to the three drivers. I believe ATC can supply such panels ready made if desired. An opportunity to not only sell crossovers but also possibly more amps. If it gets a good enough rep it might even get you into recording studios.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-09-24, 22:14
Thank you Linn!

Versions for some of the top end Kudos speakers would be nice.
2014-09-24, 22:39
If the prices mentioned here are correct, then sorry Linn this 'national average' wage earning music lover is outta here!
2014-09-24, 22:43
(2014-09-24 22:39)gdp1965 Wrote:  If the prices mentioned here are correct, then sorry Linn this 'national average' wage earning music lover is outta here!

What do Linn make from the Akurate and Klimax range that is affordable to the average person?

Sources: Antelope Zodiac Platinum with Dirac Live
Amps: Nord One UP NC500MBs (with Sonic Imagery 994 op amps)
Speakers: B&W 802D2s & 2x SVS SB13 Ultras
2014-09-25, 01:39
(2014-09-24 17:29)rad Wrote:  
(2014-09-24 14:05)linnrd Wrote:  While that is a good sentiment and makes sense when designing a speaker, sometimes, it's more practical to compensate for the vagaries of what's happening "in the box" with correction/compensation applied to the signal either before or after it. Also it allows use of a single amplifier instead of multiple amplifiers per speaker.

That would be at the cost of exclusivity. Can't go mass market and expect to have the cachet that the brand currently has.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2014-09-25, 01:50 (This post was last modified: 2014-09-25 01:51 by linnrd.)
(2014-09-24 20:51)ThomasOK Wrote:  ...
If it gets a good enough rep it might even get you into recording studios.
Not really. This is where having a USB input would have been the way to go. There is no way to access the unit via a DAW using a network interface, and S/PDIF introduces jitter (which could have been eliminated if there were a word clock input/output) since it is an unbuffered interface. The system is designed to be a renderer (of existing files) and not a D/A processor in a diverse chain. It was a "do one thing and do it right" approach.

And...we haven't got into the issue of the robustness (or lack thereof) of the software either. For an environment where downtime=$$, assuming that the initial cost is justifiable there would still be more weight given to the reputation of the stability of a system. There will be a bigger change in mind-set required along with the concomitant design change to allow for what you are saying to be a realistic proposition.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2014-09-25, 02:47
Here's a list to be getting on with:

all current and past Linn speakers.

I know, radikal!

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2014-09-25, 05:52
(2014-09-25 01:39)linnrd Wrote:  
(2014-09-24 17:29)rad Wrote:  

That would be at the cost of exclusivity. Can't go mass market and expect to have the cachet that the brand currently has.

Apologies, but that is not actually the point I was trying to make. What I am interested in, and I'm sure this goes for many other Linn owners, is the best possible solution for 3rd party, passive speakers. And continuing development of Linn technology and products that will improve and optimize this, rather than concentrating solely on technology development and product enhancement aimed at active speakers. This is what I meant by a bigger market; not a mass market.

System 1: KDS/3 - Solos/D - Vivid V1.5
System 2: KDS/3 - Solos/D - Sonus Faber Amati Futura.
Cables: Vertere and Shunyata
Stuff: Richard Gray [RGPC]