Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 09:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Linn Product Upgrade History: Years and Serial Numbers

Linn Product Upgrade History: Years and Serial Numbers
2009-11-12, 17:21
RE: Linn Product Upgrade History: Years and Serial Numbers
The first Linn aktiv crossover was the Isobarik. this had a later option of Dirak psu and bingo board.
Early Keltiks and Kabers were supplied with aktiv crossovers, adjustments were made by resistor changes.
These were replaced, and in fact free to early buyers, by mono aktiv cards fitting into klouts, lk100s and 5105
Then an lk style box was introduced to accept the mono cards, this was later improved to slimline psu.
Note there was never such a box to accept stereo cards.
Stereo cards were introduced to fit newer amps 5125 and 2250
Chakra cards are the latest aktiv mono cards much improved on any previous cards, they are available for most amps and speakers except isobariks.
Finally and the best are the Klimax crossovers, these are speaker specific.
I could find dates if important.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2009-11-12, 17:35 (This post was last modified: 2009-11-12 19:29 by Keltik Klown.)
(2009-11-12 17:02)nemick Wrote:  Willi, thanks for that. Do you know how I can determine the configuration of the Aktiv that I own? I don't suppose any of the upgrades are still available, but maybe I have some of them. It would just be nice to know.

Easily done but you'll need to remove the top cover from the Aktiv.

If you plug your mains straight into the back of the Aktiv you've either got an original linear PSU or a Brilliant SMPS. Once you've got the lid off it'll be obvious which it is. This is what an original Aktiv with linear PSU looks like: (edited to add I've just realised this picture doesn't show the daughtercard with the gain adjustment stuff on it whic sits above the rear panel connectors)

[Image: Aktiv.jpg]

The Bingo is a daughtercard that looks like this. IIRC it provides bass equalisation to 20Hz.

[Image: Bingo.jpg]

If you've got one it'll be mounted above the main PCB on pillars, with some connecting wires soldered onto the main board.

LP12 (1988 Fluted Afromosia) | Ekos SE | ESC Arkiv-B | Lingo | Linto
SneakyDS | ReadyNAS Duo | Twonky 6.0.34 | Kinksy
Renew KK | 5125s | Keltik + Klimax Aktiv Crossovers (main)
5103 | 5125s | Centrik Mk 1 | Tukan (Aktiv surround)
2009-11-15, 15:08
Hiya

I have 6 Chakt50 mono adaptor cards where do they fit into all this and what tuneboxes, amps would they work with?

see below:
I also have a tunebox with a full set of Kaber aktiv cards and was considering it and them to take the Audiovectors aktiv thro the av5125s

many thanks
Mike
Unidisk SC
LP12
Akurate 242s aktiv
Akurate 225 aktiv
Akurate 221
Three Chakra 5100s with cards for Akurates above
two AV5125s passive tri-amping my rear channels Audiovector Mi3 Signatures and a pair of Sttaf Totems as stereo in the dining room.

Also have a full set of Ninka mono and stereo cards
2009-11-15, 19:25
The chak50 are adaptors to allow the use of chakra aktiv cards in old amps. They are compatable with LK100, Klout, Av5105 and tunbox.

The existing kaber cards are speaker dependant so not suitable for your rear speakers.
2009-12-10, 19:22 (This post was last modified: 2009-12-10 19:46 by ThomasOK.)
(2009-09-25 11:57)Linnist Wrote:  Hi
Anyone know the revision/serial# history of the Espek, i'm looking at the second hand market to find those speakers, and there's not alot of info on the web

Thanks

There is no real Espek history from Linn. I don't believe there actually were any real changes over the life of these speakers. It is possible that some early Espeks had the original Ninka/Katan tweeter with the plastic faceplate but I believe they had already gone to the metal face one by the time the Espek/Ekwal came out. If you found one that did have the older tweeters they can be easily replaced with the new ones at a reasonable price (around $72US each, part number SPKR 038/2).

If possible you would want to get a pair of Espeks with the optional polymer bases as they made a definite improvement in the musical performance of the speaker and are pretty much unobtanium separately.
(2009-07-20 22:11)Willi Murray Wrote:  
davestp1 Wrote:Can anyone supply the upgrade history of the active crossover/tunebox?

A potted, somewhat inexact and not very structured history would run something along the lines of:

First Linn "Aktiv" (sic) crossover introduced in the late 1980s (c.1987-1988) for the Isobarik. Note that this was an integrated one-box crossover with an internal power supply and all the electronics laid out on a single large PCB (plus a daughtercard housing the gain adjustment circuitry) i.e. it wasn't a Tunebox as such - Tuneboxes are modular designs containing only a power supply into which you fit Aktiv cards of the your choice.

Similar integrated Aktiv crossovers were available for a short while for the Keltik and Kaber (and possibly others -- I'm not sure TBH).

The Dirak external power supply upgrade was introduced for Isobarik Aktiv crossover; as was an upgrade -- the Bingo -- that improved the bass reponse of the Isobarik crossover down to approx 20Hz. (It's also worth noting that for a while at least around the late 1990s Linn did SMPS conversions on Isobarik Aktivs. I got a Slimline Brilliant fitted to mine by the factory in 1997 or 1998 and it was a huge improvement.)

The early integrated Keltik/Kaber etc Aktivs had linear power supplies aka the Isobarik Aktiv. TBH I don't know if these ever got an SMPS or other upgrades. Maybe someone else can provide some info on these.

The mono Aktiv cards were next (starting with the Keltiks, then the other Linns speakers of the early to mid 1990s). These could either be mounted within the power amplifiers (Klouts etc) or within Tuneboxes.

Stereo Cards arrived with the post-Klout generation of power amps (5105s, 2250s etc). Stereo Tuneboxes were introduced to house the cards external to the amps if required.

Early Mono Tuneboxes have linear power supplies, later ones have SMPS and the later ones with SMPS are regarded as superior.

Stereo Tuneboxes (as far as I know) all have SMPS.

Straddling the Mono Aktiv cards and Mono Tuneboxes and the later Stereo Aktiv Cards (for 5105, 2250s) and Stereo Tuneboxes are the Klimax Crossovers, the first being introduced for the Keltik to visually match the then newly introduced Klimax Solos. In my experience (of Klimax Keltik crossovers only) these are a huge improvement over the Aktiv cards either in amps and Tuneboxes (of both the Mono and Stereo variety).

Then along came the Komris (which curiously enough didn't have an Aktiv solution for a very long time) and the current range of Linn speakers and amps with their own Aktiv cards etc...

Edited to add -- it's all rather sad really but give a me a few days and I could probably scribble together a timeline for the Aktiv stuff from a folder of literature I've kept that goes all all the way to the Linn magazine of 1988 Shy Rolleyes

A very good and pretty thorough explanation of the Aktiv crossovers but it does need a couple of small corrections.

First, there was never a Tunebox capable of accepting stereo cards - they all only used the original mono cards and second, the Tunebox was sold with linear, Brilliant and SMPS power supplies as the better power supplies came out. Upgrades to SMPS were offered by Linn.

Some additional information on the newer mono cards. The latest generation of Akitv cards are all mono but are different from the older mono cards. They were designed for the Chakra (now Majik and Akurate) power amps. There are adapter cards available to allow the new cards to work in amps that use stereo cards (5125, 2250, LK85, LK140) as well as adapter cards for devices that use the older mono style cards (LK Tunebox, Klout, AV5105, LK100, LK240, Majik LK). These adaptor cards are free if ordered along with the matching new Aktiv cards.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2009-12-11, 11:08
(2009-06-18 18:36)charlie1 Wrote:  LINGO 2 - posted 2009-05-07
[quote="ThomasOK"]In February 2001 at serial number 614522 Linn changed to the full size LK box for the Lingo but the internal circuitry stayed the same. I don't believe anyone claims that this represented any musical improvement, it was just a change in case size. I think it might be best if we all started calling it the Lingo 1.2! In October 2001 at serial number 656968 Linn introduced the Lingo with a new circuit board using surface mount components instead of through-hole types. While the circuit and layout were basically the same there was definitely a noticeable musical improvement.

Yes, Linn changed the Lingo from a 1/2 sized LK box to a full sized LK box.

No, the internal circuitry didn't stay the same.

Linn don't refer to the Lingos as the Lingo 1 and the Lingo 2 as they have made so many changes to the Lingo over the years. This was explained to me by my Linn factory tour guide in 2008.

Newer Lingo circuit boards are now larger, even though they are now surface mount, probably why the move to the larger box.

Last year I upgraded from a Lingo I bought second hand in 1995 (serial number 5177) to a Lingo made around the end of 2005. This is one of the largest upgrades I've ever done, especially considering how cheap it was.

Cymbiosis Klimax LP12 SE - Karmen Kandid, Radikal/1M KDS/1 KK/1 Solos/1 K200 242/1
Kisto, AV 2250/d, Komponent 104
2009-12-12, 23:47
(2009-12-11 11:08)Warren Wrote:  Yes, Linn changed the Lingo from a 1/2 sized LK box to a full sized LK box.

Linn don't refer to the Lingos as the Lingo 1 and the Lingo 2 as they have made so many changes to the Lingo over the years. This was explained to me by my Linn factory tour guide in 2008.

Newer Lingo circuit boards are now larger, even though they are now surface mount, probably why the move to the larger box.

Amended. Thanks Warren. Let me know if you pick up anything else and I'll add it on.
2009-12-13, 09:19 (This post was last modified: 2009-12-13 09:22 by owl102.)
(2009-12-10 19:22)ThomasOK Wrote:  It is possible that some early Espeks had the original Ninka/Katan tweeter with the plastic faceplate but I believe they had already gone to the metal face one by the time the Espek/Ekwal came out.

Since I owned one of the very first Espeks I can confirm that they always had the tweeter with the metal face (SPKR 038/2).
(2009-12-11 11:08)Warren Wrote:  Yes, Linn changed the Lingo from a 1/2 sized LK box to a full sized LK box.

No, AFAIK Thomas was right here, first they changed the box, and they changed the circuitry later on.

(I have seen an old circuitry board in a new full LK sized LK shipped by Linn by myself!)
2009-12-23, 00:23 (This post was last modified: 2009-12-23 00:23 by Linnist.)
(2009-12-10 19:22)ThomasOK Wrote:  
(2009-09-25 11:57)Linnist Wrote:  Hi
Anyone know the revision/serial# history of the Espek, i'm looking at the second hand market to find those speakers, and there's not alot of info on the web

Thanks

There is no real Espek history from Linn. I don't believe there actually were any real changes over the life of these speakers. It is possible that some early Espeks had the original Ninka/Katan tweeter with the plastic faceplate but I believe they had already gone to the metal face one by the time the Espek/Ekwal came out. If you found one that did have the older tweeters they can be easily replaced with the new ones at a reasonable price (around $72US each, part number SPKR 038/2).

If possible you would want to get a pair of Espeks with the optional polymer bases as they made a definite improvement in the musical performance of the speaker and are pretty much unobtanium separately.

Thank you Thomas, looks like as you said there was no major change with the ESPEK i never find any traces of any anywhere. But when i'll change my AV5140 i'll keep my thick one piece all metal base, must weight 30pounds each with that, those speakers are glued to the floor.

And on a side notes......i will have my Dynamik upgrade done on my C6100 and Unidisk 2.1 just before Christmas Dec 24th................i was a good boy "this year", thank you Santa =8*))

Akurate DSM, Tuner: Akurate, Amp: Chakra C6100+Dynamik, Speaker: Espek and 33.4mm thick machined stainless steel base + K600........and Akurate 226 sub...........and OPPO player BDP-103D
2010-01-07, 14:31
How about some product upgrade history for the Klimax range?