Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 05:16 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / MinimStreamer support for new BBC HLS AAC streams

MinimStreamer support for new BBC HLS AAC streams
2015-02-17, 15:53
RE: MinimStreamer support for new BBC HLS AAC streams
(2015-02-17 14:58)simoncn Wrote:  
(2015-02-17 14:22)mickc Wrote:  Hi - yes, saved in Notepad as a straight text file, and the latest version of MinimStreamer is there too.

I shall ask on the Minim forum later when I get a moment. Thanks for the reply.

Mick

Did you forget to put #EXTM3U at the start of the file?

Edit: This can happen if you put a space before #EXTINF.

Ah! Yes! There's a space at the start of every line, apart from the first line (the one with #EXTM3U), which must have come from the "code" box above. I just amended the lines for the first two stations and now those two don't flag an error.

Thanks again

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2015-02-17, 16:59
(2015-02-17 15:15)clanger9 Wrote:  
(2015-02-17 15:03)retraite Wrote:  Hi again

My thanks to Simon and Clanger 9 for their responses to my query.

Amending the last line to include "nonuk/sbr_low" gives a 48k connection. I can't really comment on sound quality as yet, but it works. I tried it both without the “_low” after sbr and the "non" in front of uk and neither of those variations worked. I'll experiment with all the other BBC stations through the course of the day and perhaps compare sound quality versus the mp3 alternative over the next few days as well.

Interesting. According to the radiofeeds website, the overseas URLs for Radio 3 (for example) should be:
Code:
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_vlow/llnw/bbc_radio_three.m3u8
for 48k and
Code:
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_low/llnw/bbc_radio_three.m3u8
for 96k.

Unfortunately the BBC seem to regard the streaming URL as some kind of Top Secret, so it's certainly possible that there's another combination out there that will give 96k...

Thanks again for your responses

Using "low" and "vlow" gives the same result - both are 48k, as seems to be the case for all the BBC stations I have tried so far. I also note that the list you posted earlier has "ak" immediately before the station identifier as compared to "llnw" in this one. Again no difference, although both work. I'm puzzled as to the significance of those letters. I will keep experimenting, but I think what I've seen so far is what I'm going to get - at least for a while.
2015-02-17, 17:32 (This post was last modified: 2015-02-17 17:34 by simoncn.)
(2015-02-17 15:53)mickc Wrote:  Ah! Yes! There's a space at the start of every line, apart from the first line (the one with #EXTM3U), which must have come from the "code" box above. I just amended the lines for the first two stations and now those two don't flag an error.

Thanks again

Mick

The .m3u syntax is very strict, with no extraneous spaces allowed. Any line not starting with # as its first character is assumed to be a URL.
2015-02-17, 17:45
(2015-02-17 16:59)retraite Wrote:  Thanks again for your responses

Using "low" and "vlow" gives the same result - both are 48k, as seems to be the case for all the BBC stations I have tried so far. I also note that the list you posted earlier has "ak" immediately before the station identifier as compared to "llnw" in this one. Again no difference, although both work. I'm puzzled as to the significance of those letters. I will keep experimenting, but I think what I've seen so far is what I'm going to get - at least for a while.

These are different service providers hosting the same streams, to provide redundancy in case one fails.
2015-02-17, 17:50
(2015-02-17 17:45)simoncn Wrote:  These are different service providers hosting the same streams, to provide redundancy in case one fails.

Ah, ak = Akamai, llnw = Limelight (possibly??). Hadn't thought of that.
I'm sure The Internet will have it all puzzled out soon enough... Wink
2015-02-17, 18:14
One way or another, I've learned a lot today and am very grateful for the information given and patience exercised. However my tired old brain has succumbed to the BBC' s intelligence tests and can no longer send commands to the keyboard. Further mental activity will be confined to the wine cellar until tomorrow.

Once again my thanks
2015-02-17, 18:31
(2015-02-16 17:55)simoncn Wrote:  These .m3u playlist entries don't have artwork because the .m3u format doesn't provide any way to specify artwork.

I might be able to find a way round this. Stay tuned....

Support for adding artwork to network streams in playlists is now available in MinimServer update 58. For details, see the Release notes.
2015-02-17, 18:57
Wonderful, thanks Simon.

I just wish I could add artwork to your URL via Tunein to please the girlfriend :-)

KDSM/0, Solos, ProAc D18
2015-02-17, 19:15 (This post was last modified: 2015-02-17 19:47 by clanger9.)
(2015-02-16 20:13)alexm Wrote:  If anyone was interested, using BubbleDS Next, I noted the streamed URL for the radio station (Radio 4 in this example) and added this URL to Tunein as a custom URL. Now I can choose the nice new AAC stations from the standard 'Radio' input.

It is of course my local server, but the URL looks a little like this:
http://192.168.1.3:9790/minimstreamer/*/...ourfm.m3u8

Is works nicely, just without the artwork. I really don't like how inflexible Tunein is!

That is genius!

I added the locally-served MinimServer streams via the (annoying) TuneIn web interface in the format you suggested. Now the new BBC radio streams play straight from the DS radio input. Big Grin

The only loss I can see is that there are no nice station icons in Kazoo, but I don't really use that to control radio, so no problem.

Edit: ...and mere minutes after I post this, Simon has added support for station icons to to Minimserver. Now it's perfect!
2015-02-17, 20:59
(2015-02-17 13:52)Donald Wrote:  From the BBC News website: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31487515

Key section says: -

"The BBC is also working with the radio industry and manufacturers towards using just one standard, known as Mpeg Dash, which will be industry-wide and open source, said Andrew Scott, the BBC's head of radio music product.

"The goal we are working to is to have it ready this calendar year but there is some risk in that," he said"

Mpeg Dash can be found on Wikipedia of course: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Ada..._over_HTTP

Can someone from Linn comment on their intention or otherwise to adopt this format?

Apologies for being confused but too many TLAs!

Thanks.

Donald.

Hi Donald,

We're keen to build in support for any open and widely used protocol/streaming system.

With respect to DASH, we're tracking the development/industry use and will update as appropriate. If widely adopted, it would help move the industry away from the 3 or 4 semi-proprietary implementations of adaptive rate HTTP.

Cheers.

K