Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 01:55 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Tiger-Paw Akula sub chassis

Tiger-Paw Akula sub chassis
2015-05-01, 00:00
RE: Tiger-Paw Akula sub chassis
(2015-04-30 22:31)Mikeg Wrote:  On your wallshelf what are the boards made from and would they be suitable on other makes of wallshelf?

The shelves are a laminated higher density fibre board. The laminate is quite tough so the spikes don't embed themselves in to the core. I'm sure they'd be fine with other TT's or wall shelves, dependent on size etc. We had to go to a thicker (double) version for the trampolin version as the feet are inboard, no longer above the spikes and so will distort the board over time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2015-05-01, 00:13
(2015-04-30 23:09)matthias Wrote:  
(2015-04-30 19:32)TPA Wrote:  The picture on the left is the Aro version, those two holes relate to the mounting point for the arm rest, and the one nearest the arm mount is for the Elevator arm lift (same place as the original Aromatic mount)

Looking at the Aro version with the 400% zoom the Akula mounting collar seems to be higher than the original Aro mounting collar. Am I right or is it an optical illusion?

Matt

Well spotted Smile

Yes, it is a few mm higher, because we no longer use the original collar for mounting we thought it worth trying several heights and this was better.
2015-05-01, 02:41
NIce....

not a copy of the Kore /Keel as others are IMO..

ATBTase.

Linn stuff.....Klimax Radikal, Urika, Ekos SE, Kandid, Uphorik, 2 Keel's,2 LP12's......and a Partridge (somewhere) in a Pear tree!!
2015-05-01, 02:44
Roger,
Congratulations on getting these new and interesting products into the market. I for one have been looking for a new wall shelf for years- your shelf looks like it ticks all of my boxes. Thanks for putting the development time into products that will benefit many.
ATB,
Mark

Source 1: Cymbiosis Sondek- CH Fluted Ebony plinth,Karmen,Aro w/ Skale, Linn Kandid,Urika, TP Tranquility, Chord Music IC, Vulkan shelf
Source2: Cymbiosis Sondek- CH Macassar Ebony plinth,Khan,Aro w/ Skale,DV Xv1-s,Whest Titan Pro, TP Tranquility, Chord Music IC, Vulkan shelf.
2015-05-01, 04:10
+1 to what Mark said. I have a feeling Peter will be installing a few of these Stateside during his next trip.

Best
Gregg

Naim 552/500 into Kudos Titans
Cymbiosis Signature LP12/Chris Harban Plinth/Keel/Karmen/Radikal/Urika/Chord Music/Aro/Kandid
KDS/3-Chord Music
2015-05-01, 07:38
(2015-05-01 02:41)Tasebass Wrote:  NIce....

not a copy of the Kore /Keel as others are IMO..

ATBTase.

Indeed,
and the Akula is the best platform for my beloved Aro.

KR Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2015-05-01, 09:30
The Vulkan Wall Shelf looks nice & reminds me somewhat of the Audiotech Wall Shelf considered by many to be one of the better platforms for an LP12 that unfortunately is no-longer made (afaik).
2015-05-01, 09:55
(2015-05-01 09:30)Roadie Simon Wrote:  The Vulkan Wall Shelf looks nice & reminds me somewhat of the Audiotech Wall Shelf considered by many to be one of the better platforms for an LP12 that unfortunately is no-longer made (afaik).

Yes, it has ended up very similar. The project started when I wanted to get hold of two identical wall shelfs to help with other product development. I was disappointed with what arrived and set about designing a light and rigid shelf. Well 'light and rigid' tends to take you to a very similar place, although I'd never actually seen the original - with that in mind I contacted the original designer to discuss with him as it was not my intention to plagiarise someone else's work. Interesting chap, very helpful, and completely understanding. It isn't actually the same and there are quite a few detail differences but in terms of structure it's about as lean as you can make it.

Peter was helpful in terms of pointing out a couple of features that would be useful, i.e., ensuring that the threaded ferules for the spikes were located in such a way that they would not turn.
2015-05-01, 10:36 (This post was last modified: 2015-05-01 10:38 by Roadie Simon.)
(2015-05-01 09:55)TPA Wrote:  [quote='Roadie Simon' pid='356846' dateline='1430469036']
The Vulkan Wall Shelf looks nice & reminds me somewhat of the Audiotech Wall Shelf considered by many to be one of the better platforms for an LP12 that unfortunately is no-longer made (afaik).

Yes, it has ended up very similar. The project started when I wanted to get hold of two identical wall shelfs to help with other product development. I was disappointed with what arrived and set about designing a light and rigid shelf. Well 'light and rigid' tends to take you to a very similar place, although I'd never actually seen the original - with that in mind I contacted the original designer to discuss with him as it was not my intention to plagiarise someone else's work. Interesting chap, very helpful, and completely understanding. It isn't actually the same and there are quite a few detail differences but in terms of structure it's about as lean as you can make it.

Sorry, forgive me, I wasn't implying any plagiarism, I always thought that the Audiotech was the best looking of all wall shelves and even better that it "sounded" so good! Yours looks as good and I'm sure will "sound" as good too. I'll also be interested to compare you sub chassis against a Kore / Keel!
2015-05-01, 13:25
(2015-04-30 19:32)TPA Wrote:  The picture on the left is the Aro version, those two holes relate to the mounting point for the arm rest, and the one nearest the arm mount is for the Elevator arm lift (same place as the original Aromatic mount)

(2015-04-30 23:09)matthias Wrote:  Looking at the Aro version with the 400% zoom the Akula mounting collar seems to be higher than the original Aro mounting collar. Am I right or is it an optical illusion?

That's what threw me off - I didn't realise I was looking at the Aro version as the collar looked so different.

Thanks for the explanation!