Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 02:15 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Announcements & Linn News v / Linn Forum Webinar: Linn DSM vs. Pre-amplifier Technology

Linn Forum Webinar: Linn DSM vs. Pre-amplifier Technology
2015-06-03, 17:45
RE: Linn Forum Webinar: Linn DSM vs. Pre-amplifier Technology
If it's not off topic could I ask how the digital volume control in the KDS/2 compares to the digital volume control in the latest KDSM (i.e. ignoring the analogue side completely)?

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2015-06-03, 20:34
In the white paper "Evolution-of-the-pre-amplifier" I believe I see some distortion from the DSM on the low level 1 mVrms signal in the graph on page 5. If my eyes don't fool me I see distinct 2nd as well as 3rd order products at 2 and 3 kHz respectively and possibly some higher order components as well, that is not mentioned anywhere in the text. Where the Klimax Kontrol does not display any visible distortion artifacts at all.

Sure they are all low level non linearities, but still some 150 times larger compared to the test signal than the clear distortion components you refer to for the higher level signal on page 6.

Why do you not see these components worthy of mentioning in explaining the superiority of the DSM as opposed to the Klimax Kontrol?

Best Regards, Mats

main: Klimax LP12 CH fluted ebony, KDS/1, KK/2, 3xKCT/D, homebrewn active dipolar speakers
secondary: Sneaky DS, Sonab OD-11
cottage: Axis, Basik Plus, Benz MC20, Linto, Classik, Klout, Sonab OA-12
2015-06-03, 20:59
(2015-06-03 20:34)mats@nobox Wrote:  In the white paper "Evolution-of-the-pre-amplifier" I believe I see some distortion from the DSM on the low level 1 mVrms signal in the graph on page 5. If my eyes don't fool me I see distinct 2nd as well as 3rd order products at 2 and 3 kHz respectively and possibly some higher order components as well, that is not mentioned anywhere in the text. Where the Klimax Kontrol does not display any visible distortion artifacts at all.

Sure they are all low level non linearities, but still some 150 times larger compared to the test signal than the clear distortion components you refer to for the higher level signal on page 6.

Why do you not see these components worthy of mentioning in explaining the superiority of the DSM as opposed to the Klimax Kontrol?

Best Regards, Mats

Well spotted Mats! Isn't it amazing that Linn are trying to convince us using technical specs rather than "just listening". Just the sort of thing they used to tell us wasn't important.

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / 242s
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
2015-06-03, 21:16
(2015-06-03 20:59)macrotech Wrote:  Isn't it amazing that Linn are trying to convince us using technical specs rather than "just listening". Just the sort of thing they used to tell us wasn't important.

If you look at the very last section of the White Paper it clearly states:-

"Of course, measurements and engineering analysis can help us understand why something sounds better, but listening is the only way to confirm that it is better. "

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2015-06-03, 21:44
Adding question here as well, so it doesn't get lost.

Is the output impedance different between the DSM and the Kontrol? It would be useful to have a graph plotting the output impedance vs. frequency (maybe start at 20Hz and measure at each higher octave till 20KHz) in each case.

Why don't we all... just listen?
2015-06-03, 21:52
Having read the white paper my question is how does the Akurate DSM circuits differ from the Klimax? For example you make the point that the EKDSM has an ADC for each of its analogue inputs so source switching can be done digitally - how does the ADSM compare?

LP12 + Akurate stuff.
2015-06-03, 21:58
(2015-06-03 21:16)Donald Wrote:  
(2015-06-03 20:59)macrotech Wrote:  Isn't it amazing that Linn are trying to convince us using technical specs rather than "just listening". Just the sort of thing they used to tell us wasn't important.

"Of course, measurements and engineering analysis can help us understand why something sounds better, but listening is the only way to confirm that it is better. "

So why bother with a white paper at all? Who's it aimed at?

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / 242s
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2015-06-03, 22:38 (This post was last modified: 2015-06-03 22:39 by stunta.)
(2015-06-03 21:58)macrotech Wrote:  

People who want to corroborate subjective impressions with measurements. Probably.

2015-06-04, 07:17
(2015-06-03 22:38)stunta Wrote:  

People who want to corroborate subjective impressions with measurements. Probably.

Measurements on 1kHz sine waves have nothing to do with real music buy, hey, corroborate away.

2015-06-04, 09:01
(2015-06-04 07:17)macrotech Wrote:  
(2015-06-03 22:38)stunta Wrote:  

Measurements on 1kHz sine waves have nothing to do with real music buy, hey, corroborate away.

It is a comparison. If at a given frequency, there was a substantial difference in distortion, that would surely be a useful metric now wouldn't it. But if facts are sending chills down one's spine, one might be better of avoiding them.