Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 21:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Show us your LP12!

Show us your LP12!
2008-04-24, 14:11
RE: Show us your LP12!
flatpopely Wrote:Don't discount the HerculesII.

I did think about this but it looks to me as though he Hercules is basically a Valhalla with 45rpm added? (ie wouldn't be a sonic upgrade)

I had a Heed PSU on my old LP12 before the DIY 'Geddon and actually preferred it to the Naim clone.

Lefty

[size=x-small]LP12 / Valhalla / Aro / XX1
Sonos / AVI S2000MD
Dynavector L300 / P300 / HX75
Shahinian Arcs[/size]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2008-04-24, 14:17
Edward Wrote:[quote=lefty]
It's a great cartridge isn't it !

It certainly is! I really like DV carts and would love to get my hands on a 17d3 after the 10x5 wears out.

Lefty

Sonos / AVI S2000MD
Shahinian Arcs[/size]
2008-04-24, 14:32
Yes and No! It looks like a dual speed Valhalla but it sounds a lot better, I had a Valhalla and the HercII is an upgrade.

lefty Wrote:
flatpopely Wrote:Don't discount the HerculesII.

I did think about this but it looks to me as though he Hercules is basically a Valhalla with 45rpm added? (ie wouldn't be a sonic upgrade)

I had a Heed PSU on my old LP12 before the DIY 'Geddon and actually preferred it to the Naim clone.

Lefty

LP12/Maple/Cirkus/RubiKon/Radikal/Tranquility/Ittok LVII (unique)/ASAKA
JVC AX Z1010TN integrated amplifier (yes, really!)
SARAs-external crossovers and as new!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2008-04-24, 14:47
Interesting - thanks for that. I might have to investigate....

Lefty

Sonos / AVI S2000MD
Shahinian Arcs[/size]
2008-04-24, 15:58
[Image: 1412089357_4d606553a4.jpg?v=0]
lefty Wrote:Interesting - thanks for that. I might have to investigate....

Lefty

Ekos2/Cirkus/T.Kable/20XL
Linto
Lingo2
2008-04-24, 18:15 (This post was last modified: 2008-04-24 21:38 by Chillkram.)
lefty Wrote:It certainly is! I really like DV carts and would love to get my hands on a 17d3 after the 10x5 wears out.

Lefty

You'll love it Lefty, it really is a nice cartridge and a fair step up from the 17D2.

Mark
2008-04-24, 18:33
A lot of lovely LP12s up here.

Here is mine which is a bit different.

[Image: LP12SE-movingui2.gif]

LP12/Cirkus/Keel/Trampolin2/Lingo2/Ekos SE/Akiva with a custon Movingui plinth. (Gets a bit long-winded listing all the upgrades, doesn't it?) I have to say it sounds stunning!

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
2008-04-24, 19:00
ThomasOK Wrote:Here is mine which is a bit different.

It looks like it's under water, Thomas!

Mark
2008-04-24, 20:56
ThomasOK Wrote:A lot of lovely LP12s up here.

Here is mine which is a bit different.

[Image: LP12SE-movingui2.gif]

LP12/Cirkus/Keel/Trampolin2/Lingo2/Ekos SE/Akiva with a custon Movingui plinth. (Gets a bit long-winded listing all the upgrades, doesn't it?) I have to say it sounds stunning!

Hi Thomas,

this not only sounds stunning, it is a pleasure to look at - a real great finish!

cheers

Thorsten

LP 12 || Lingo || EKOS || KRYSTAL || LINTO || Majik DS || ... DIY amps driving a full active FAST system, also DIY
2008-04-24, 22:16
Thanks for the comments. When the light hits it the right way it is truly striking.

The plinth was custom made by a professional woodworker who hopes to make his living on audio oriented products such as Linn plinths. He has made quite a few plinths out of a number of exotic woods but this one is quite special. After a couple of discussions we had about LP12s, plinths and the importance of proper setup he developed this plinth as an experiment in trying to make the best sounding plinth possible. The wood you see is Movingui (also called Nigerian Satinwood) which he felt had the right properties to outperform the Black Ash plinth. Then he made the blocks the top plate attaches to out of 30 year air dried Ebony and the internal strips of Wenge. These parts were also oil finished just like the plinth itself. The idea was to try to minimize any environmental changes in the blocks so the tightness of the bolts holding the top plate to the plinth would remain more stable over time. He only made a total of four of these Movingui plinths and they are all sold - one to a customer of mine. He may make some more in the future but Movingui is a rare wood and not easy to find in the quality needed for a plinth.

I knew going into this that there were differences in the sounds of the different woods and that the Balck Ash which I was previously using was considered the best of the standard plinths. But I was really unprepared with the level of improvement this plinth made to the sound of my LP12. Musical instruments and voices were more tuneful having noticeably more texture and subtle nuances and at the same time it was less fatiguing and more fun. I have to say I am supremely happy with the results - sonically and visually.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!