Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Headphone Amplifers for Exakt Only DSM

Headphone Amplifers for Exakt Only DSM
2016-01-31, 16:50
RE: Headphone Amplifers for Exakt Only DSM
(2016-01-26 15:03)Klingsor Wrote:  
(2016-01-25 03:22)Eldarboy Wrote:  I was able to also borrow from him an AXM Titanium Digital Audio Coaxial cable interconnect to test the Oppo. Well I was really surprised, for the Oppo sounded about a step above the Akurate Kontrol for sound quality. Needless to say, I was extremely pleased with the purchase. While waiting for the Exakt equipment, Gary made for me a Linn Coaxial Cable interconnect and for this I was really looking forward to hearing: who has really ever heard of AXM?

I knew from experience that the Linn cable would need some time to "burn in", so I ran it for 6 hours a day for the first week to loosen it up. Well, after living with it for two weeks or so, I found that the sound remained muffled and closed, darker than the AXM cable. I subsequently borrowed the AXM back from to test, and indeed, it sounds MUCH better than the Linn coaxial: needless to say, you know which one is staying installed Big Grin.

Just a little suggestion: Try the Linn Silver Interconnect as coaxial digital cable. This performed a lot better than the old Linn Digital Interconnect, when I tested it some time ago.

Many thanks for the tip, Klingsor: I just tried it and it is a massive improvement not only over the Linn Coaxial, but also the AXM...Now to get a special length made Smile $Sad

As well. With the AK/1 I used to have, I had to turn Space Optimisation OFF when using the headphone jack. Thinking that might be the case with the AEDSM, I simply turned it OFF a day or two after getting the Exakt upgrade to use the headsphones...Well, it seems that I have been listening gobsmacked all this time with the SO turned off. I realised this last night, and when I turned it back on: another great stereo upgrade Big Grin Having a good chance to play around with all, I also tested the headphone amp [coaxial output from the AEDSM] and found, much thanks for this very convenient feature, that the coaxial output does not send the SO to the headphone amp. This is great news, for one no longer has to turn off SO when listening through headphones Smile

Victrola 1922 Floor model.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-01-31, 18:46
(2016-01-31 16:50)Eldarboy Wrote:  
(2016-01-26 15:03)Klingsor Wrote:  
(2016-01-25 03:22)Eldarboy Wrote:  I was able to also borrow from him an AXM Titanium Digital Audio Coaxial cable interconnect to test the Oppo. Well I was really surprised, for the Oppo sounded about a step above the Akurate Kontrol for sound quality. Needless to say, I was extremely pleased with the purchase. While waiting for the Exakt equipment, Gary made for me a Linn Coaxial Cable interconnect and for this I was really looking forward to hearing: who has really ever heard of AXM?

I knew from experience that the Linn cable would need some time to "burn in", so I ran it for 6 hours a day for the first week to loosen it up. Well, after living with it for two weeks or so, I found that the sound remained muffled and closed, darker than the AXM cable. I subsequently borrowed the AXM back from to test, and indeed, it sounds MUCH better than the Linn coaxial: needless to say, you know which one is staying installed Big Grin.

Just a little suggestion: Try the Linn Silver Interconnect as coaxial digital cable. This performed a lot better than the old Linn Digital Interconnect, when I tested it some time ago.

Many thanks for the tip, Klingsor: I just tried it and it is a massive improvement not only over the Linn Coaxial, but also the AXM...Now to get a special length made Smile $Sad

As well. With the AK/1 I used to have, I had to turn Space Optimisation OFF when using the headphone jack. Thinking that might be the case with the AEDSM, I simply turned it OFF a day or two after getting the Exakt upgrade to use the headsphones...Well, it seems that I have been listening gobsmacked all this time with the SO turned off. I realised this last night, and when I turned it back on: another great stereo upgrade Big Grin Having a good chance to play around with all, I also tested the headphone amp [coaxial output from the AEDSM] and found, much thanks for this very convenient feature, that the coaxial output does not send the SO to the headphone amp. This is great news, for one no longer has to turn off SO when listening through headphones Smile

Great news Eldarboy.

It sounds like You are having Christmas morning all over again. Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-04-25, 16:22
Given the issue of no headphone socket on the Exakt Klimax DSM, could one of the more knowledgeable chaps and chappesses look to see if this device would solve the problem; http://www.startech.com/uk/AV/Converters...-extractor and look at the HD2A.
I have no inputs to my hdmi sockets. When I stream is there an output at the hdmi out for HD2A to be connected to, then onto a headphone amplifier or headphones direct. A simple cable is then required from the HD2A to headphones.

Harvey and Pookah
2017-04-25, 21:23 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-25 21:25 by konartel.)
(2017-04-25 16:22)Harvey and his Pookah Wrote:  Given the issue of no headphone socket on the Exakt Klimax DSM, could one of the more knowledgeable chaps and chappesses look to see if this device would solve the problem; http://www.startech.com/uk/AV/Converters...-extractor and look at the HD2A.
I have no inputs to my hdmi sockets. When I stream is there an output at the hdmi out for HD2A to be connected to, then onto a headphone amplifier or headphones direct. A simple cable is then required from the HD2A to headphones.

As far as I know, there is no way to get digital or analog stereo out of a Exakt only KDSM (like streaming from NAS, Internet Radio, digital in, etc.).
This is why I upgraded from Exakt only KDSM to KDSM Mk3 (Katalyst) when I upgraded my speakers to Katalyst.
This involved a lot of money, but the Katalyst upgrade is truly impressive. It is just so much more fun listening to music that for me the investment already is a "no brainer".
With that in mind, all digital out options seem no longer valid, because that way, the benefit of Katalyst is not there. With the Katalyst upgrade, everything you hook onto the KDSM (all inputs, analog output) benefits from Katalyst. And that's nice!

SPACED in a galaxy far, far away...
2017-07-27, 09:37
(2017-04-25 21:23)konartel Wrote:  
(2017-04-25 16:22)Harvey and his Pookah Wrote:  Given the issue of no headphone socket on the Exakt Klimax DSM, could one of the more knowledgeable chaps and chappesses look to see if this device would solve the problem; http://www.startech.com/uk/AV/Converters...-extractor and look at the HD2A.

As far as I know, there is no way to get digital or analog stereo out of a Exakt only KDSM (like streaming from NAS, Internet Radio, digital in, etc.).
This is why I upgraded from Exakt only KDSM to KDSM Mk3 (Katalyst) when I upgraded my speakers to Katalyst.
This involved a lot of money, but the Katalyst upgrade is truly impressive. It is just so much more fun listening to music that for me the investment already is a "no brainer".
With that in mind, all digital out options seem no longer valid, because that way, the benefit of Katalyst is not there. With the Katalyst upgrade, everything you hook onto the KDSM (all inputs, analog output) benefits from Katalyst. And that's nice!

Haha - but there is. I was hunting for the person who wanted to use headphones with his Klimax Exakt DSM, particularly for analogue inputs (maybe an LP12, or even an HDMI source). It may even have been Harvey.

It's a roundabout way, and requires a MAC/PC. You simply use OpenHome Player installed on that machine (which emulates a DS), group it with the KEDSM, and hey presto whatever the KEDSM is playing will be sent to the PC/MAC.
For headphones, use a suitable headphone amp that be connected to the PC/MAC somehow (something like the OPPO HA-2SE), mute the KEDSM, and you're away.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-31, 09:51
(2017-07-27 09:37)timster Wrote:  
(2017-04-25 21:23)konartel Wrote:  

Haha - but there is. I was hunting for the person who wanted to use headphones with his Klimax Exakt DSM, particularly for analogue inputs (maybe an LP12, or even an HDMI source). It may even have been Harvey.

It's a roundabout way, and requires a MAC/PC. You simply use OpenHome Player installed on that machine (which emulates a DS), group it with the KEDSM, and hey presto whatever the KEDSM is playing will be sent to the PC/MAC.
For headphones, use a suitable headphone amp that be connected to the PC/MAC somehow (something like the OPPO HA-2SE), mute the KEDSM, and you're away.

Ok timster I am past the first stage I have installed OpenHouse , (many times until I realised (with help) that the icon was then in the services tray and the short cut on desktop was to point to services tray.) must remember that one. Now stuck at how to group with the Klimax. Nothing in Kazoo and nothing appears on my network to group the Klimax. The house is fully networked with a HP managed switch that my son has set up with QOS to the Klimax. I am using ESET as my antivirus . Please do not think I am technical should you be in a position to respond.
Even my Pookah did not know what to do.

Harvey and Pookah
2017-07-31, 10:30
I need to know a few things.
1. Is OPenHome running on a PC or MAC? If a PC, is it Windows 7/8/10?
2. If you're sure OpenHome is running, it should appear as a room in Kazoo (with the name of the PC it's running on). I assume you are using Kazoo on some other device? If so - can you try running Kazoo on the same machine as OpenHome and see if that can see both the Klimax and the OpenHome player?

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-07-31, 13:34
(2017-07-31 10:30)timster Wrote:  ... can you try running Kazoo on the same machine as OpenHome and see if that can see both the Klimax and the OpenHome player?

It won't. There is a bug in Kazoo (Windows Store version, but not the older installed version, I believe) which prevents it from seeing am OpenHome room running on the same device. This works with Kinsky, however. I use my phone with BubbleDS to get round the problem Smile.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-31, 13:55
(2017-07-31 13:34)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-07-31 10:30)timster Wrote:  ... can you try running Kazoo on the same machine as OpenHome and see if that can see both the Klimax and the OpenHome player?

It won't. There is a bug in Kazoo (Windows Store version, but not the older installed version, I believe) which prevents it from seeing am OpenHome room running on the same device. This works with Kinsky, however. I use my phone with BubbleDS to get round the problem Smile.

David

Oh yes. It was to test if the network was blocking discovery of the openhome player. The old kazoo would also work. Not sure how you multi-room in kinsky?

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-07-31, 14:29
(2017-07-31 13:55)timster Wrote:  Oh yes. It was to test if the network was blocking discovery of the openhome player. The old kazoo would also work. Not sure how you multi-room in kinsky?

With Kinsky you can check the network discovery (though for that I prefer the apps to be on different devices, just to be sure). AFAIK, you can't group rooms in Kinsky. Can you Songcast to multiple rooms? I don't know, because I don't use Songcast.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko