Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 13:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Headphone Amplifers for Exakt Only DSM

Headphone Amplifers for Exakt Only DSM
2017-07-31, 14:41
RE: Headphone Amplifers for Exakt Only DSM
(2017-07-31 14:29)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-07-31 13:55)timster Wrote:  Oh yes. It was to test if the network was blocking discovery of the openhome player. The old kazoo would also work. Not sure how you multi-room in kinsky?

With Kinsky you can check the network discovery (though for that I prefer the apps to be on different devices, just to be sure). AFAIK, you can't group rooms in Kinsky. Can you Songcast to multiple rooms? I don't know, because I don't use Songcast.

David

I don't use songcast either, although it's installed. But I doubt you can, it's what the multi-room function is for - you songcast to one, and then you group that one with any others you want it to play on.

As for the Harvey - seeing as the point is for him to be able to use headphones, and he'll have to do that via his computer, I don't suppose it really matters if he just uses the (old) kazoo on the same machine to do the grouping and control the volumes etc.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-31, 17:52
(2017-07-31 14:41)timster Wrote:  
(2017-07-31 13:55)timster Wrote:  Oh yes. It was to test if the network was blocking discovery of the openhome player. The old kazoo would also work. Not sure how you multi-room in kinsky?

With Kinsky you can check the network discovery (though for that I prefer the apps to be on different devices, just to be sure). AFAIK, you can't group rooms in Kinsky. Can you Songcast to multiple rooms? I don't know, because I don't use Songcast.

David

I don't use songcast either, although it's installed. But I doubt you can, it's what the multi-room function is for - you songcast to one, and then you group that one with any others you want it to play on.

As for the Harvey - seeing as the point is for him to be able to use headphones, and he'll have to do that via his computer, I don't suppose it really matters if he just uses the (old) kazoo on the same machine to do the grouping and control the volumes etc.

timster
Oh dear I might have to use empirical methods here i.e. keep playing until I get it right. My knowledge appears to be providing a boundary that needs breaking
1 Openhome is installed on computer I have it in programs and even the uninstall option
2 computer is windows 10
3 installed old Kazoo for windows Vista up to windows 7 still no success.
4 I have a Kiko that is connected to PC and use Kiko for output from PC. No music stored on PC
5 Bubble DS cannot test on PC as not for windows
6 There is no Openhome for Android
7 is it possible to use a Pi as there is Openhome for Pi. Would that work?
Thankyou to all that are trying to help.

Harvey and Pookah
Find all posts by this user
2017-07-31, 18:37
If Harvey is happy to do his headphone listening from the computer, I'd suggest the following.

Use the computer as a renderer, with OpenHome Player as the engine. To get better sound from the computer, use a USB DAC of some description. Then get over the bug in Kazoo by using, say, BubbleDS on a phone or tablet as the controller. An odd arrangement, but quite usable.

With regard to DACs, I have experimented with an Audioquest Dragonfly, which I bought on sale at half price because it was the old model, and this drives my Grado PS500 headphones very well. You may need to fiddle a bit with driver selection in the audio controller dialog, but otherwise its plug and play. The sound quality is not up to Exakt standards, but then IMO no headphone listening is. And the Dragonfly does not cost an arm and a leg.

One thing that this thread demonstrates is that there are advantages other than cost to sticking with the Akurate level. The ADSM has a very nice Class A amplified headphone output. Job done ...

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-31, 19:23
(2017-07-31 17:52)Harvey and his Pookah Wrote:  
(2017-07-31 14:41)timster Wrote:  

David

timster
Oh dear I might have to use empirical methods here i.e. keep playing until I get it right. My knowledge appears to be providing a boundary that needs breaking
1 Openhome is installed on computer I have it in programs and even the uninstall option
2 computer is windows 10
3 installed old Kazoo for windows Vista up to windows 7 still no success.
4 I have a Kiko that is connected to PC and use Kiko for output from PC. No music stored on PC
5 Bubble DS cannot test on PC as not for windows
6 There is no Openhome for Android
7 is it possible to use a Pi as there is Openhome for Pi. Would that work?
Thankyou to all that are trying to help.

Hi Harvey.
I am confused on a few levels here. There is no reason I can see that the OpenHome player can't be seen by Kazoo/Kinsky, unless the PC is somehow not connected to the network. Also, when you say you have a Kiko connected to the PC - I presume you mean it is on the network, rather than directly connected to it.
But the Kiko means the whole thing may be academic. The Kiko has a headphone jack. So you can disregard the OpenHome player entirely. Just add the Kiko to the Klimax's group, and use the Kiko's heaphone jack. Unless the Kiko is less accessible than the PC?

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-08-01, 06:17
timster and DavidHB

Thank you for your help and we are there! I can recognise OpenHome
as follows:
1 On latest Kazoo OpenHome does not show, as advised by DavidHB.
2 Named PC shows on old version Kazoo and on Kinsky. OpenHome states program will come up as the name of the PC on which OpenHome is installed.
3 On the network OpenHome is indicated by Softplayer (that is OpenHome).
4 On Android tablet OpenHome is indicated by Softplayer .

Please forgive me for stating above what you both already knew, but hoped it would provide clarity of what is going on this end.

So now it should be plain sailing by just grouping as timster states OpenHome to a Linn DSM. I can choose either the Kiko, Majik or Klimax. I appreciate the Majik and Kiko have headphone sockets but are not in suitable locations. I already have oppo HA-2se and obviously headphones.

I apologise if I gave you the runaround re OpenHome not showing up earlier. This morning I cleared the decks reinstalled OpenHome and all worked.

You help and support just shows how valuable the forum is and how help provided by the members of the forum.

Harvey and Pookah
2017-08-01, 07:05
(2017-08-01 06:17)Harvey and his Pookah Wrote:  timster and DavidHB

Thank you for your help and we are there! I can recognise OpenHome
as follows:
1 On latest Kazoo OpenHome does not show, as advised by DavidHB.
2 Named PC shows on old version Kazoo and on Kinsky. OpenHome states program will come up as the name of the PC on which OpenHome is installed.
3 On the network OpenHome is indicated by Softplayer (that is OpenHome).
4 On Android tablet OpenHome is indicated by Softplayer .

Please forgive me for stating above what you both already knew, but hoped it would provide clarity of what is going on this end.

So now it should be plain sailing by just grouping as timster states OpenHome to a Linn DSM. I can choose either the Kiko, Majik or Klimax. I appreciate the Majik and Kiko have headphone sockets but are not in suitable locations. I already have oppo HA-2se and obviously headphones.

I apologise if I gave you the runaround re OpenHome not showing up earlier. This morning I cleared the decks reinstalled OpenHome and all worked.

You help and support just shows how valuable the forum is and how help provided by the members of the forum.

That's great news Smile You can now enjoy all your vinyl on your headphones! Super duper.
Just so you know - for any network music (NAS, radio, Tidal etc.) you can use openhome by itself as it is a standalone software "streamer". You can access it's configuration in Konfig as you can the DS's - particularly useful for the TuneIn login. You can also change it's name (softplayer seems to be it's default) and the "room" name.
Glad to have been of help (ish).

Hello to Jason Isaacs