Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 11:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Stamford DC Motor?

Stamford DC Motor?
2016-03-02, 18:25
Stamford DC Motor?
Was speaking to Mark yesterday at VP about a cartridges and he mentioned that there is a DC motor unit coming from Stamford Audio. Look forward to seeing the specs and reading a review once somebody fits one.
I'm sure it will be significantly better than the OL effort!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-03-02, 18:41 (This post was last modified: 2016-03-02 18:46 by matthias.)
RE: Stamford DC Motor?
(2016-03-02 18:25)horizon Wrote:  Was speaking to Mark yesterday at VP about a cartridges and he mentioned that there is a DC motor unit coming from Stamford Audio. Look forward to seeing the specs and reading a review once somebody fits one.
I'm sure it will be significantly better than the OL effort!

Yes, I agree. Some specs are on their page:

http://www.stamfordaudio.co.uk/

Does someone know the price?

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2016-03-02, 19:18
Should be interesting. They only quote speed accuracy, which is only one parameter that effects the sound quality. So as usually Just Listen would be the only way to tell.

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
2016-03-02, 20:38
Agreed, Mark said he had a demo unit so see what he reports back.
2016-03-02, 21:02
I think it may be the same unit on Vinyl Engine, designed by Edmond, the guy behind the Hercules.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_for...&start=240

"There ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk"
2016-03-03, 11:38
(2016-03-02 21:02)Vimtokid Wrote:  I think it may be the same unit on Vinyl Engine, designed by Edmond, the guy behind the Hercules.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_for...&start=240

Yes it is and I'm awaiting a visit from Gordon of Stamford Audio with one very soon as really I need to hear what it sounds like in a back to back comparison.

Needless to say, I'll be testing it out on a modern LP12 rather than the one shown in the pictures on the link above.

As it happens, I'll be in Hong Kong at the end of this month and into April and so may be able to pop in and see Edmund - I'm sure it would be interesting.

I'll report back in due course, but all I know is that the target price in the UK is somewhere between £1500.00 - £2000.00 including VAT.

Just as Naim discontinues the Armageddon, it's interesting that another non-Linn alternative appears in the marketplace to fill the gap (if the "gap" exists?)

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2016-03-03, 21:04
initial impressions are v favourable they have managed to make the maxton motor run very quiet, even with a stethoscope on the top plate although i am using a stronger top plate than standard as well as a top plate energy drain i have been living with it since Monday it takes a little getting used to requires carfull fitting and calibration and their is room for improvement but its early days but the main thing is its extremely accurate i have also taken detailed pictures of the build and ran the Dr F**** Disk and took pictures of the i pad readings... you will be impressed it beets both the Hanss Drive system and the SME by over 5% and the Hanss T30 is v good ... i did not want to say anything until i was sure it did not drift or act strangely i will post pictures in the next few days on our FB news page and put a link it is available for demo and will be at the Pie Fi show 20 march in The Vinyl Passion Music Room Syndicate 1 and i will also be taking it to Stylus 2016 Peter will be in the Best position to Judge it against standard Linn and third party alternatives... i am already sold all in all a superb piece of engineering that has succeeded where i gave up with the Maxton unit...

LP-12 VP-12s/ SME 10 & 20/ Hanss T 30 / TD-150s / Ming Da 2006 / Vincent PH-700 / Ming Da MD7-SE / Vincent 995 Monos -T8 Pre / Quad 2805... & lots of vintage gear/ over 700 mint first pressings 5k+ Vinyl
2016-03-03, 22:21
(2016-03-03 21:04)Debussy Wrote:  initial impressions are v favorable..............Peter will be in the Best position to Judge it against standard Linn and third party alternatives...

Yes, it sounds very good:

http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Blue-ray...1.mp4.html

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2016-03-04, 01:29
(2016-03-03 21:04)Debussy Wrote:  initial impressions are v favourable they have managed to make the maxton motor run very quiet,
Peter will be in the Best position to Judge it against standard Linn and third party alternatives... i am already sold all in all a superb piece of engineering that has succeeded where i gave up with the Maxton unit...

Hopefully Debussy!

Do you know who's been doing the electronic safety testing? Essential these days and does it conform to EMC regs?

Anyway, I get to hear one next week

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2016-03-04, 11:42
Hi Peter yes on both counts but currently they are still waiting CE approvals.. they are at the end of many years of bringing this product to market.. exciting times
Anybody with an interest is still welcome to come listen or bring your own LP-12 For direct comparison..
or see us at either of the up and coming shows in Melton & London Pictures will be up on our news page today i will put a link up later already have a few suggestions for improvement Regards Mark..

LP-12 VP-12s/ SME 10 & 20/ Hanss T 30 / TD-150s / Ming Da 2006 / Vincent PH-700 / Ming Da MD7-SE / Vincent 995 Monos -T8 Pre / Quad 2805... & lots of vintage gear/ over 700 mint first pressings 5k+ Vinyl