Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Stamford DC Motor?

Stamford DC Motor?
2017-08-08, 09:56
RE: Stamford DC Motor?
When will these be available Edmund..???

Pricing etc..???

Cheers Tase

Linn stuff.....Klimax Radikal, Urika, Ekos SE, Kandid, Uphorik, 2 Keel's,2 LP12's......and a Partridge (somewhere) in a Pear tree!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-08, 10:56 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-08 10:58 by Edmund.)
(2017-08-08 08:58)vintageaxeman Wrote:  What is your impression of the sound, Edmund?
And have you now done a second version of your INNER platter?

Wow! stunning, wider, deeper and spacious sound stage.

Much improvement in the subtle sound, subtle sounds tighter. Hear subtle sounds you never heard from same track before.

Yes, I improved the inner platter shaft tip, it is a ball bearing in the tip. Theoretically, the contact surface with bearing house is zero.

(2017-08-08 09:56)Tasebass Wrote:  When will these be available Edmund..???

Pricing etc..???

Cheers Tase

The material cost is high, and I didn't know how it works.

I made one steel and one brass for myself at the moment.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-27, 01:57
I received messages from Mober buyer reminding me to make sure the Maxon DC motor is quiet.

The Maxon motor is very quiet, you can hear little noise from few inches away from your ear because it is sleeve bearing. It is unhearable when you are away from your turntable or when the music starts playing.

Some people have the perception already. I need to shoot a video to show how it works.

You can hear the tiny clock ticking in the background and environmental noise, but no DC motor noise.

2017-09-03, 08:30 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-03 10:44 by Edmund.)
Camera with fact :

Some says the DC motor attached to the top plate will amplify the noise. You can hear the clock and environmental noise. I turned off the motor after 17 seconds.

2017-09-12, 12:25
i can vouch for this motor is extremely quiet even with a stethoscope on the top plate although the top plate it is on is thicker and attached at more points than the Linn still a superb motor and supply and i do not sell them just use them the value is excelent

LP-12 VP-12s/ SME 10 & 20/ Hanss T 30 / TD-150s / Ming Da 2006 / Vincent PH-700 / Ming Da MD7-SE / Vincent 995 Monos -T8 Pre / Quad 2805... & lots of vintage gear/ over 700 mint first pressings 5k+ Vinyl
2017-09-12, 13:00
(2017-09-12 12:25)Debussy Wrote:  i can vouch for this motor is extremely quiet even with a stethoscope on the top plate although the top plate it is on is thicker and attached at more points than the Linn still a superb motor and supply and i do not sell them just use them the value is excelent

Thank you! Mark. Smile
2017-09-16, 15:45
I am not a trader, and have nothing to gain by commenting.

I also have used a stethoscope to evaluate motor noise.

The Radikal equipped deck has a current stock top plate with motor corner fixing.

The Mober Maxon equipped deck has an older stock top plate without motor corner fixing.

The motor noise for both decks is inaudible to the listener, even standing over the deck to change a record. With the stethoscope pressed against plinth or top plate, you can hear motor noise, but there is little to choose between the two decks on this issue. Both are quite good.

The key is to get a good installation for either unit. I continue to like them both. The noises I heard early on in my trial of the Mober Maxon were due to my inability to properly secure the marker decal on the underside of the platter. Once I'd sorted this out, I've had no further issues.

I played some very old Barney Kessel LPs for a jazz guitarist/ producer friend recently on the Mober Maxon driven deck. He had given me the LPs having finally abandoned vinyl himself.

He wrote me last night saying "I've loved your upstairs system ever since I first heard it, but I've never heard those Barney Kessel recordings sound so real."

The Mober Maxon is a genuine steal at its price point.

'Nuff said."

Just listen .... or not
2017-10-15, 09:56
I shoot a short video of my Mober playing guitar.