Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 17:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Solos passive -> Exakt Akudorik?

Solos passive -> Exakt Akudorik?
2016-06-12, 14:58
RE: Solos passive -> Exakt Akudorik?
Can you not just get Akudorik stands for the 212s? How much better are the dorik speakers meant to be?

Sources: Antelope Zodiac Platinum with Dirac Live
Amps: Nord One UP NC500MBs (with Sonic Imagery 994 op amps)
Speakers: B&W 802D2s & 2x SVS SB13 Ultras
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-06-12, 16:31
True. 212/Exakt with Dorik stand would be another option to consider. Anyone done this?

LP12 (Klimax Radikal, Keel, Ekos SE, Kandid, Urika) - KDS/3 (QNAP TS-119, Netgear GS108) - KK/1 - Klimax Solos/D - Akurate 226 - Akurate 242
Keith Monks RCM II
2017-09-19, 16:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-19 16:35 by Jeff R.)
Sondek, I see you never moved to Exakt. I used to have a twin in my system before I went with the integrated Dorik stands. I loved that passive system. Those stands are now back at the factory for upgrade. I'm now running a passive system using all the same gear below but with a Rotel RB-1050 75 watt amp. The system has - S E R I O U S - boogie. It's fun, coherent and moves really well with all music. It images, which has been lackluster with the Exakt gear. I'll post what I think about the system after I have the Katalyst Dorik Stands back but I wonder if going passive with solos isn't the right route for me. Time will tell. Jeff

KDSM/1, KLP12, Exakt/k Dorik Stands, Exaktbox Sub, 212s v.1, 221, Audience AR6
2017-09-19, 18:08
(2016-06-05 19:42)Sondek Wrote:  As you can see from my signature, I currently have 212s on Solos plus two 226 subs.

I was wondering if it would be worth considering Exakt Akudoriks with Exaktbox Sub for the two subs. Has anyone gone this way or from another Solos set-up to integrated Exakt? I would like to hear opinions before arranging a dem. Cheers!

What I actually can see from your "sig below" is that you are using 242's. Maybe you like to clarify.

KK/1/D, KDS/3, 2xKCTs/D into B&W 803 D3, Oppo 105, QNAP 439 Pro II
2017-09-19, 21:55 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-19 22:15 by mrco99.)
(2016-06-06 20:09)Sondek Wrote:  The thing is that I am extremely pleased with my system and there is really nothing to address. I am just curious if the already fantastic system could be further improved by going Exakt - or if it would be a step backwards.

If you want to take your current system further you may also consider alternatives to Exakt;

- Dynamik your Solos
- Try Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Preamps instead of KK/1
- Try Lejonklou Tundra Mono Poweramps instead of (undynamiked) Solos

There is still room for improvement on the analogue side of things Wink

LP12 Radikal Keel Ekos2 Adikt - KRDS1 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik 6.0 - Satagun Mono 1.3 Preamps - Tundra Mono 2.2 Poweramps - Klangedang T1 & Synkron filters

Lejonklou • NOKTable Turntable stand • Quadraspire supplier

www.hexagonaudio.eu
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-20, 03:38 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-20 06:50 by finster.)
(2017-09-19 21:55)mrco99 Wrote:  
(2016-06-06 20:09)Sondek Wrote:  The thing is that I am extremely pleased with my system and there is really nothing to address. I am just curious if the already fantastic system could be further improved by going Exakt - or if it would be a step backwards.

If you want to take your current system further you may also consider alternatives to Exakt;

- Dynamik your Solos
- Try Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Preamps instead of KK/1
- Try Lejonklou Tundra Mono Poweramps instead of (undynamiked) Solos

There is still room for improvement on the analogue side of things Wink

Remember with an Exaktbox the world of amplification is wide open so above still applies passive or not.

LP12 - Mober DC, Trampoline, Kore, Cirkus, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos, Linto, T-Kable.
Electronics - Renew KDSM/1, AK ExaktBox 6, 2 x Tundra Stereo, Bryston 9BSST.
Music Server - Windows 10 PC, Twonky, Kazoo on Ipad 2
Speakers - Linn Killer Keltiks, stupidly thick Linn speaker cable.
2017-09-20, 09:22 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-20 09:25 by sunbeamgls.)
Exakt integrated (Akudorik or stands for 212) gives you a much better digital solution but multiple lower grade amps.

A home demo is the only way because there's 2 conflicting changes there.

(2017-09-19 16:33)Jeff R Wrote:  Sondek, I see you never moved to Exakt. I used to have a twin in my system before I went with the integrated Dorik stands. I loved that passive system. Those stands are now back at the factory for upgrade. I'm now running a passive system using all the same gear below but with a Rotel RB-1050 75 watt amp. The system has - S E R I O U S - boogie. It's fun, coherent and moves really well with all music. It images, which has been lackluster with the Exakt gear. I'll post what I think about the system after I have the Katalyst Dorik Stands back but I wonder if going passive with solos isn't the right route for me. Time will tell. Jeff

You shouldn't be disappointed with imaging with Exakt, it should be stunning. There's possibly something amiss.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-09-20, 09:43
Like golke, I would really like to know whether the OP is currently using 212s or 242s. as I think that does affect the advice to be given. If, as I suspect is not the case, the current system has 242s, I would wonder about the wisdom of going from full-range (more or less) speakers to standmounts, even standmounts as good as the Akudoriks with Exakt.

There is also that fact that the Solos are the only non-Chakra amplifiers Linn make, and in some respects hark back to an earlier generation of Linn sound quality, which some people would prefer. It would not surprise me if the OP were to prefer the current system over the Akudoriks; I don't think that the outcome of the home demo is a foregone conclusion. Maybe the OP would be better off staying with a passive system, keeping the Solos and getting speakers that would make better use of their capabilities. The footprint of the Akubariks is hardly bigger than that of the Akudoriks ...

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-20, 10:07
So many variables here you really need a home dem, as others have said.

I swapped passive Akubarik system (KDS, KK, Solos) for KEDSM + Exakt Akubariks. For me this was an obvious upgrade, with additional benefits in terms of reduced number of boxes and much neater cabling (shouldn't be decisive, but a factor nonetheless).

The passive system with Solos was great, but Exakt better overall.

However in your case the Doriks might be a step back (see JeffR and DavidHB's posts). Though Katalyst complicates matters still further!

Good luck with this one! Sad

LP12 (Klimax Radikal/Urika, Keel, Chord SSA, Ekos SE, Lyra Kleos; TP Vulkan, Khan, TranQ, Skale); Klimax Exakt DSM, Exakt Akubariks.
2017-09-20, 10:49
I just noticed, Jeff R (post #13) has resurrected a thread from 2016.

That means the OP requirement is likely to be very out of date. Looks like Jeff R is looking for thoughts on why the OP did not go Exakt, and the original OP is not really the subject of the thread any more.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk