Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 16:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Solos passive -> Exakt Akudorik?

Solos passive -> Exakt Akudorik?
2017-09-20, 11:08
RE: Solos passive -> Exakt Akudorik?
(2017-09-20 03:38)finster Wrote:  
(2017-09-19 21:55)mrco99 Wrote:  
(2016-06-06 20:09)Sondek Wrote:  The thing is that I am extremely pleased with my system and there is really nothing to address. I am just curious if the already fantastic system could be further improved by going Exakt - or if it would be a step backwards.

If you want to take your current system further you may also consider alternatives to Exakt;

- Dynamik your Solos
- Try Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Preamps instead of KK/1
- Try Lejonklou Tundra Mono Poweramps instead of (undynamiked) Solos

There is still room for improvement on the analogue side of things Wink

Remember with an Exaktbox the world of amplification is wide open so above still applies passive or not.

No it doesn't. There's no preamp in an Exakt system, so the massive improvement of the Sagatun Mono preamps over the Klimax Kontrol wouldn't apply.

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / 242 Mk II with upgraded stands
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-20, 15:06 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-20 15:07 by sunbeamgls.)
(2017-09-20 11:08)HearNoMore Wrote:  
(2017-09-20 03:38)finster Wrote:  
(2017-09-19 21:55)mrco99 Wrote:  
(2016-06-06 20:09)Sondek Wrote:  The thing is that I am extremely pleased with my system and there is really nothing to address. I am just curious if the already fantastic system could be further improved by going Exakt - or if it would be a step backwards.

If you want to take your current system further you may also consider alternatives to Exakt;

- Dynamik your Solos
- Try Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Preamps instead of KK/1
- Try Lejonklou Tundra Mono Poweramps instead of (undynamiked) Solos

There is still room for improvement on the analogue side of things Wink

Remember with an Exaktbox the world of amplification is wide open so above still applies passive or not.

No it doesn't. There's no preamp in an Exakt system, so the massive improvement of the Sagatun Mono preamps over the Klimax Kontrol wouldn't apply.

There is a pre-amp in an Exakt system, it just happens to be integrated with the streamer.
So power amplification is wide open, and there is no need to spend on a pre-amp.

There is no way to compare pre-amps so the point is rather moot.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-09-20, 15:19
I think we're all very keen to hear how Sondek's journey evolved after that original post. Well at least I am!

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-09-20, 15:30
(2017-09-20 15:06)sunbeamgls Wrote:  There is a pre-amp in an Exakt system, it just happens to be integrated with the streamer.

It would be more correct to say that an Exakt system embodies the functions carried out by a conventional pre-amplifier. Source switching and elements of the control system are integrated with the renderer (an E-DSM is not a fully-fledged streamer, as it has no DAC), while volume control and analogue outputs are either provided by the Exaktbox or integrated within Exact modules fitted to speakers. Alongside the conventional functions, there is also, of course, a whole set of digital capalikities which an old-style pre-amplifier does not provide.

(2017-09-20 15:06)sunbeamgls Wrote:  So power amplification is wide open, and there is no need to spend on a pre-amp.

True, but only for systems with Exaktboxes, not for the integrated speakers.

(2017-09-20 15:06)sunbeamgls Wrote:  There is no way to compare pre-amps so the point is rather moot.

The really interesting comparison is between passive systems. How does a Katalyst KDSM compare with, say, a Katalyst KDS and a Sagatun?

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-20, 15:37 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-20 15:41 by Jeff R.)
(2017-09-20 10:49)sunbeamgls Wrote:  I just noticed, Jeff R (post #13) has resurrected a thread from 2016.

That means the OP requirement is likely to be very out of date. Looks like Jeff R is looking for thoughts on why the OP did not go Exakt, and the original OP is not really the subject of the thread any more.

I probably should have mentioned I'm responding to an older post... picking up where the conversation left off. That said the substance is same as the original post. It doesn't look like Sondek went Exakt providing the signature line is updated. I wonder why if he/she is willing to share. Exakt is a different sound presentation. I've lived with this Exakt system since the beginning of 2015. I've changed and tweeked the Exakt software many times. I think I had it dialed in. The real question is if Exakt is better than passive... for me at least. The same setup I'm using now with a $400 Rotel amp is pretty awesome. It boogies and the detail is mostly there... albeit not quite as much detail as Exakt. I'm curious what others have found but n the high quality passive world vs Exakt. Btw, I'm still not crazy about the Exakt sub module but that's another story. Jeff

KDSM/1, KLP12, Exakt/k Dorik Stands, Exaktbox Sub, 212s v.1, 221, Audience AR6
2017-09-20, 15:37
"capalikities"? Don't edit it David - I love the word. Shorthand for likable capabilities Smile

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-20, 15:45
(2017-09-20 15:37)timster Wrote:  "capalikities"? Don't edit it David - I love the word. Shorthand for likable capabilities Smile

Happy to oblige, but as the capabilities (sic) in question (did you mean likeable, incidentally? Smile) are digital, some people will dislike them on principle ...

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-09-20, 16:21
(2017-09-20 15:45)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-09-20 15:37)timster Wrote:  "capalikities"? Don't edit it David - I love the word. Shorthand for likable capabilities Smile

Happy to oblige, but as the capabilities (sic) in question (did you mean likeable, incidentally? Smile) are digital, some people will dislike them on principle ...

David

Yes I did, but I fell for the spellcheck again. Seems stuck on US English.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-20, 17:37 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-20 18:07 by Briain.)
(2017-09-20 09:43)DavidHB Wrote:  Like golke, I would really like to know whether the OP is currently using 212s or 242s...

Hi David

Actually, I'm sure that Sondek would not mind if I cleared that little mystery up on his behalf; I recently bought his very fine looking maple 212's and they now happily reside in my bedroom (and being fed by a KDS/0 and 2250/D, they are playing tunes very, very, very nicely).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11205]

As my existing (darker finished) 212s didn't match my oak stands very well, I sold them to a friend (so it was also part of a nefarious 212 swapping party) and from the feedback that I have received (in other words, he is still talking to me; just) they are now also playing tunes very nicely (again, fed by a 2250/D) so feet are also tapping in yet another part of Scotland.

My next trick will be to quad-wire them (I have just procured enough K20 for same) then to stuff socks into the ports (washed ones) and add a DSP and a sub (the light oak version of this one being high on my potential list) but I have to watch that it doesn't end up sounding more musical (and more fun to listen to) than my 350A system; from past experience (212s and a 345) I know that that a 2250/D and 212s can sound astonishingly foot tapping good when well integrated (ports blocked) with a sub and I am looking forward to experimenting with same (and to hearing the final results, of course).

Bri Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-09-20, 18:34 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-20 18:40 by DavidHB.)
(2017-09-20 17:37)Briain Wrote:  I'm sure that Sondek would not mind if I cleared that little mystery up on his behalf; I recently bought his very fine looking maple 212's and they now happily reside in my bedroom (and being fed by a KDS/0 and 2250/D, they are playing tunes very, very, very nicely).

Thanks, Bri. So what does Sondek have now? Or aren't you allowed to say?

David

P.S. As the next post reveals, Sondek was answering the question at the very moment that I was asking it.