Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 02:16 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / M4A files will not play following the most recent update.

M4A files will not play following the most recent update.
2017-09-25, 07:30
RE: M4A files will not play following the most recent update.
The only m4a I have is AAC and it worked fine.
I am still confused as to why it should be Kazoo that fails to add the tracks to the DS, rather the DS failing to play them. From Kazoo's point of view, all it's doing is sending the URLs of the tracks from the server to the DS. It doesn't do anything else that would cause it to behave differently for different formats.
There was a problem with m4a a while back, but that was the DS failing to play, not Kazoo. And it was fixed.
I suggest prof, you turn on Kazoo verbose logging, and when it happens use the Report function.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-25, 18:14
(2017-09-25 07:30)timster Wrote:  The only m4a I have is AAC and it worked fine.

But, previously, you said
Quote:That may be the server (Asset in this case - my minim transcodes m4a to wav).
which, as we have already established, "cures" the problem.

If you turn off transcoding for AAC files in your MinimServer, and Kazoo is still able to add the track to your DS, then we would have a contradiction. So far, though, your experience is completely consistent with mine.

Quote:I am still confused as to why it should be Kazoo that fails to add the tracks to the DS, rather the DS failing to play them. From Kazoo's point of view, all it's doing is sending the URLs of the tracks from the server to the DS. It doesn't do anything else that would cause it to behave differently for different formats.

Well, it evidently cares about more than the URL. If I turn on transcoding for AAC files, but not for ALAC, Kazoo handles the former correctly, but throws a "Failed to add track to DS" error for the latter, even though both have the same .m4a file extension (and thus have superficially indistinguishable URLs).

Quote:I suggest prof, you turn on Kazoo verbose logging, and when it happens use the Report function.

I will send a report to Linn. But I did learn something useful here. So thank you.
Find all posts by this user
2017-09-26, 06:35
(2017-09-25 18:14)prof Wrote:  
(2017-09-25 07:30)timster Wrote:  The only m4a I have is AAC and it worked fine.

But, previously, you said
Quote:That may be the server (Asset in this case - my minim transcodes m4a to wav).
which, as we have already established, "cures" the problem.

If you turn off transcoding for AAC files in your MinimServer, and Kazoo is still able to add the track to your DS, then we would have a contradiction. So far, though, your experience is completely consistent with mine.

Sorry, I didn't explain. I have Minim on my NAS. I also have a secondary server (Asset) on my PC with a copy of my music library on an external drive (I actually have another backup in a fire safe). So when I use Asset there is no transcoding.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-09-26, 07:30
(2017-09-26 06:35)timster Wrote:  
(2017-09-25 18:14)prof Wrote:  If you turn off transcoding for AAC files in your MinimServer, and Kazoo is still able to add the track to your DS, then we would have a contradiction. So far, though, your experience is completely consistent with mine.

Sorry, I didn't explain. I have Minim on my NAS. I also have a secondary server (Asset) on my PC with a copy of my music library on an external drive (I actually have another backup in a fire safe). So when I use Asset there is no transcoding.

Ah. OK, then.

It would still be interesting to know if turning off transcoding for AAC files in Minim on your NAS reproduced the behavior I am seeing.

* Minim with transcoding = works.
* Asset without transcoding = works
* Minim without transcoding = ??

I think we're all agreed this shouldn't be happening. The question is: what (combination of) software produces the bug?
2017-09-26, 09:00
(2017-09-26 07:30)prof Wrote:  
(2017-09-26 06:35)timster Wrote:  
(2017-09-25 18:14)prof Wrote:  If you turn off transcoding for AAC files in your MinimServer, and Kazoo is still able to add the track to your DS, then we would have a contradiction. So far, though, your experience is completely consistent with mine.

Ah. OK, then.

It would still be interesting to know if turning off transcoding for AAC files in Minim on your NAS reproduced the behavior I am seeing.

* Minim without transcoding = works

I think we're all agreed this shouldn't be happening. The question is: what (combination of) software produces the bug?

I tried it on latest iOS just to make doubly sure. Shame I have no ALACs or I could have tried that too.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-09-27, 02:05 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-27 03:30 by prof.)
(2017-09-26 09:00)timster Wrote:  
(2017-09-26 07:30)prof Wrote:  It would still be interesting to know if turning off transcoding for AAC files in Minim on your NAS reproduced the behavior I am seeing.

* Minim without transcoding = works

I tried it on latest iOS just to make doubly sure. Shame I have no ALACs or I could have tried that too.

Hmmm. Puzzling, then.

(Just to be totally sure, you did do a rescan of your Minim library after changing the transcoding setting? The change doesn't take effect until after rescanning. When it does, Kazoo will cease saying "Codec: wav" when you get Info on the file.

Actually (I just noticed this; duh!): Without transcoding turned on in Minim, Kazoo doesn't list a "Codec:..." line for AAC or ALAC files, whereas it does for MP3 and FLAC. When I turn transcoding on, then (and only then) does a "Codec: wav" line appear in the Info on the file. Maybe that's why Kazoo fails to add them to the DS. )

Anyway, thanks again for looking into this.
2017-10-03, 07:44
Just a small update:

The best workaround seems to be to set the "stream.transcode" property in MinimServer/MinimStreamer to

alac:-/wav, mp4:-/wav

Then Kazoo is fooled into thinking the file is a WAV file (it reports "Codec: wav"), but the original AAC/ALAC file gets sent to the DS, as it would if Kazoo were functioning properly.