Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 02:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Announcements & Linn News v / Introducing the new Klimax DS and Klimax DSM with Katalyst DAC Architecture

Introducing the new Klimax DS and Klimax DSM with Katalyst DAC Architecture
2016-09-21, 16:56 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-21 17:06 by gavinm.)
Introducing the new Klimax DS and Klimax DSM with Katalyst DAC Architecture
Hold on to your seats, folks. We've only just gone and launched an entirely new Klimax DS and Klimax DSM!

This is no small revision - we've developed a completely new DAC Architecture called Katalyst, which takes an unprecedented level of control over the critical elements that lie at the heart of the analogue signal’s creation. This is the biggest performance upgrade we've released yet for Klimax DS and Klimax DSM.

So if you currently own a Klimax DS or DSM, have a look at the Katalyst page on our website to learn about how a Katalyst upgrade will deliver deeper insight into your music.

And if you're interested in the new products themselves, more information is available here.

You'll also notice a fresh new look for our website. Check out linn.co.uk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-09-21, 17:02
RE: Introducing the new Klimax DS and Klimax DSM with Katalyst DAC Architecture
Yikes, the rumours are true. Smile

Congratulations Linn

I can't wait to hear it.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2016-09-21, 17:36 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-21 17:37 by DavidHB.)
Well, from one who will never justify the likely cost of these products, but expects to stand in awe nevertheless, two questions arise:
  • How does relate to Exakt? Will Katalyst appear reasonably soon in the Klimax Exaktbox?
  • Can we expect this technology to migrate in the fullness of time to the levels of the Linn hierarchy that mere mortals can hope to afford?

David
2016-09-21, 17:53
Great news! Finally an upgrade which is not related to Exakt. Can't wait to hear it. Will there be a Renew option again?

LP12 (Klimax Radikal, Keel, Ekos SE, Kandid, Urika) - KDS/3 (QNAP TS-119, Netgear GS108) - KK/1 - Klimax Solos/D - Akurate 226 - Akurate 242
Keith Monks RCM II
2016-09-21, 18:42
I'll post this now before I hear anything (system) and get sucked into the whirlpool myself but I have almost been dreading that this announcement would be exciting.

I have the EKDSM/350s as the main system and so today it doesn't directly relate but will do later and this post is prompted by that 'challenge'.

Like many - I have dutifully lined up for each successive upgrade since buying the first DS having had the Unidisk for a good while at the heart of things. With each one I have heard enough to tip me over the edge into a purchase and typically speaking fairly early on in the cycle. I don't regret any purchase but truly justifying any HiFi spend is tricky at best, especially to a non-believer - muKKles they should be called I think - and when even my music mad son looks gobsmacked (he is not a MuKKle by any stretch) at me I know I am probably pushing it. It is probably my main area of madness/weakness and if you stretch that to AV then probably it covers the insanity.

Anyway - so why was I dreading it? Well I guess it's because my personal justification for the last few upgrades has included a line - item of 'last throw of the dice' - maybe not literally but directionally. A combination of being retired, having spent more than I ever imagined possible on a system (always was a little naive). It's always been directional rather than absolute because I always assumed there would be some odd tweaks. The 350as were a retirement 'investment' - tick Big Grin and so when we the Exakt upgrade was announced I was both gutted and thought that was probably out of reach. With some inspired juggling by all concerned we made it happen and it was a wonderful step forward and the last throw, again. I don't regret any of that at all albeit I would never hint at the cost to a muKKle Big Grin

So the thought of there being another fundamental change - the DAC seems pretty fundamental - so soon after that, and the risk of another major upgrade (later this year maybe) so soon after the last one is disconcerting to say the least. Maybe it will for free - cough, splutter, clears throat. If not maybe it will be a minor one. I just get that bad feeling that to stay 'midstream' I may be faced with another big decision and dependent on that another big bill.

I guess I am left with 2 questions to muse over:

1 - how much better can it get and is that incremental difference worth the outlay?

2 - I get caveat emptor and they have a business to run, i realise I don't 'have' to buy anything. I just wonder what level of bi-annual/annual investment Linn consider their customer base will pay to stay current.

The latter being a rhetorical one of course.

I am not so naive not to expect that I may well be bewitched by the sound of a demo. I would say it is almost certain. In truth a weakness is that I love the 'hunt' and the process of discovering and working out how it could be achieved. My wonderful dealers are the best and I genuinely enjoy buying from them. It is by far my best customer experience across all industries.

What I am less clear on is how I can genuinely gauge the uplift that I might get from such an upgrade without actually doing it. i.e. it's not like they can whip in another 350 exakt system and AvsB them in the home. So it sounds like another act of faith (easier if it's a low cost upgrade but super tricky if it's not). I won't be the only one in this situation or a similar version of it. i.e. I started with then KDS and have been through each of the steps to get here.

So today - I am in that state of anxiety where I don't know whether to be excited or scared or .....

As we have a cinema room full of other Linn kit I face other big questions around the surround side too but can't bring myself to think that one through yet. Sure everyone has their own versions of these conundrums and this is not really a moan or a celebration, its a description. May need to go and lie down now Big Grin
2016-09-21, 19:50 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-21 20:33 by mats@nobox.)
My two cents:
1. If you like your system today, I believe you have no reason not to like it just as much tomorrow. Irrespective of any improvement announcements. To me the Katalyst upgrade offers nothing new under the sun, other than solid and sound engineering. I wonder if it will bring around a dramatic improvement, what does that imply about Linn's engineering skills on the current product range pre Katalyst? And what does it say about their skills to get it right this time?
2. No doubt Linn count on inspiring us current faithful followers into future upgrades, as a substantial part of their business body. At the same time I wonder how they charge us for the increased amount of software development so obvious in current and new product ranges?

Best Regards, Mats

main: Klimax LP12 CH fluted ebony, KDS/1, KK/2, 3xKCT/D, homebrewn active dipolar speakers
secondary: Sneaky DS, Sonab OD-11
cottage: Axis, Basik Plus, Benz MC20, Linto, Classik, Klout, Sonab OA-12
2016-09-21, 21:10 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-22 08:08 by Briain.)
(2016-09-21 16:56)gavinm Wrote:  Hold on to your seats, folks. We've only just gone and launched an entirely new Klimax DS and Klimax DSM!

This is no small revision - we've developed a completely new DAC Architecture called Katalyst, which takes an unprecedented level of control over the critical elements that lie at the heart of the analogue signal’s creation. This is the biggest performance upgrade we've released yet for Klimax DS and Klimax DSM.

So if you currently own a Klimax DS or DSM, have a look at the Katalyst page on our website to learn about how a Katalyst upgrade will deliver deeper insight into your music.

And if you're interested in the new products themselves, more information is available here.

You'll also notice a fresh new look for our website. Check out linn.co.uk

Hey; that's tending towards mega-news, indeed!! Smile

At least this means there'll soon be something for us inExakt folks to argue about! Tongue

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2016-09-21, 21:13
I am also not as happy with this announcement. Last year Linn sold me an exakt upgrade for my Klimax DS as a big improvement (nevertheless it was a slight improvement) and this year it's all "old technology".

If I had ever guessed that there is another bigger improvement coming in such a short time period I would have waited with the upgrade.
So definitely no upgrade for me this time within an only 1.5 year time period. Perhaps next time in 3 or 4 years.
2016-09-21, 21:33 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-21 22:00 by Briain.)
(2016-09-21 21:13)Aurumer Wrote:  I am also not as happy with this announcement. Last year Linn sold me an exakt upgrade for my Klimax DS as a big improvement (nevertheless it was a slight improvement) and this year it's all "old technology".

If I had ever guessed that there is another bigger improvement coming in such a short time period I would have waited with the upgrade.
So definitely no upgrade for me this time within an only 1.5 year time period. Perhaps next time in 3 or 4 years.

Trouble is that these days, tech advances at an alarmingly astonishing rate, and thus often, one just has to take the rough with the smooth (in the case of Linn devices, the end of sub ASICs and issues with sub drive unit unavailability are two other examples of such 'progress'). Even with far more 'mundane' products than Linn manufacture, key components are often made obsolete - and often at almost zero notice - and thus necessitate a complete re-design of the base product that relies upon them (and sometimes, not necessarily for the better); we now live in a totally consumer-durable society (and we also live in strange times, IMHO) and with modern devices, the label stuck on the back that states 'no user serviceable parts inside' (which used to be a total lie) has never been more true than it is today. Fortunately, most Linn products typically have an upgrade path (and as modern electronics are now highly reliable, the option to just run then for a few more decades also exists) so in many ways, it's all an awful lot better than it was back in the near(ish)-recent olden days (when - for example - reliably working B&W televisions were by far the exception, and most certainly not the rule)! Of course, tech advances can also provide big improvements, so given that, it would be inappropriate for any company to ignore developments and just stick with what they know (though Naim did that for many years; let's just tidily end this lament with the part number 'LM317').

Bri Smile

PS This is a forum about 'entertainment devices' - I reckons that HiFi falls nicely into that category - so I'm merely trying to be entertaining with my bonkers rantings (and if anyone has been moderately offended, well cool; that's an unexpected bonus)! Tongue Big Grin

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
2016-09-21, 22:10 (This post was last modified: 2016-09-21 22:11 by Briain.)
So with Exakt, the source was supposedly in the speaker(s), so with Katalyst, Exaktly where does it now reside?

Hey; one's just poking a bit of fun here (albeit most likely at Linn Marketing's expense) so for goodness sake, don't for one second take me seriously (nobody else does; ever)!!

Big Grin Big Grin