Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 11:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Announcements & Linn News v / Introducing the new Klimax DS and Klimax DSM with Katalyst DAC Architecture

Introducing the new Klimax DS and Klimax DSM with Katalyst DAC Architecture
2016-10-12, 20:32
RE: Introducing the new Klimax DS and Klimax DSM with Katalyst DAC Architecture
(2016-10-12 08:11)timster Wrote:  
(2016-10-11 22:08)BB1 Wrote:  
(2016-10-11 12:43)Tin Wrote:  
(2016-10-10 21:00)BB1 Wrote:  
(2016-10-10 20:39)Tin Wrote:  The ADC is done in software by Linn themselves.

Neither an ADC nor a DAC can solely be done in software...
Er.. what I meant was .. the ADC is done by Linn themselves, not by an external chip like the DAC they buy.

I don’t know how many DSMs Linn sells per year, but the figure is for sure far too low for designing and producing a dedicated ADC without an enormous price increase for all of the DSMs . The PCM1804 costs 2.36$ in quantities of 1k. An in-house solution (including R&D) would cost at least 100 times more (conservative guess). Please note, that I’m talking about production costs and not the final retail price, which involves additional factors.

To sum it up:
A dedicated chip design is only feasible in real mass production (iPhone, Galaxy Note 7 Big Grin, ...)

I don't think we're talking about a dedicated chip in that way. The Katalyst uses a commercial chip, the Linn team design the stuff around it (and program it with these FPGAs I presume). So presumably the same can be done with the ADC using a commercial chip from the same company's chipset (which exists, I saw it on the website for the company, which I can't for the life of me remember).

I’ve replied to Tin under the assumption that he is talking about a dedicated chip. The company’s name is Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM): http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/detail/0055/

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-10-14, 14:21
Hi folks,

from the discussion above I'd assume that KDSM3 does perform at the same level as KDSM2 when Exakt Links will be used solely. (I will check next week with a Linn Dealer if we are all right)

FunkMan
2016-10-14, 15:39
Hi Funkman,

(2016-10-14 14:21)FunkMan Wrote:  from the discussion above I'd assume that KDSM3 does perform at the same level as KDSM2 when Exakt Links will be used solely. (I will check next week with a Linn Dealer if we are all right)
That is also my understanding.

The only thing I will do: Upgrade to HDMI 2.0

I am curious about your findings!

Best regards from Komri heaven
Frank

KDSM/1, Twins (D), Katalyst Komris, Roon
2017-03-05, 20:50
(2016-10-14 14:21)FunkMan Wrote:  Hi folks,

from the discussion above I'd assume that KDSM3 does perform at the same level as KDSM2 when Exakt Links will be used solely. (I will check next week with a Linn Dealer if we are all right)

FunkMan

Hello FunkMan,

what was the answer of the Dealer?

Best regards
Frank

KDSM/1, Twins (D), Katalyst Komris, Roon