Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 17:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Linn Website Feedback v / Linn website refresh

Linn website refresh
2016-10-20, 08:59
RE: Linn website refresh
I just had a look, and yes, under upgrades. But while looking in accessories, on the main page (https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separates/accessories) there's a 404 link, 'See all accessories'.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-10-20, 09:00
(2016-10-20 08:59)timster Wrote:  I just had a look, and yes, under upgrades. But while looking in accessories, on the main page (https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separates/accessories) there's a 404 link, 'See all accessories'.

Ooops! Cheers for that heads-up!

Jim
Find all posts by this user
2016-10-20, 12:21
The positioning as an upgrade still seems to be under-selling Exaktbox

Perhaps once Katalyst arrives (in the Klimax at least) they will get better marketing
2016-10-20, 21:31 (This post was last modified: 2016-10-20 22:10 by BB1.)
IMHO the Exaktboxes are important „Hi-FI Separates“ and shouldn’t be hidden under „Upgrades“. Even from a marketing point of view I don’t understand this decision, since any system on Akurate or Klimax level using Exaktboxes and external amplification should give much more profit to Linn than any system being based on an Exakt speaker of the same level.

I’m just wondering if anyone had the chance to compare the sound quality between an Exakt speaker system and its corresponding system composed of an Exaktbox and external amplification, e.g. Akubarik Exakt against Akubarik/p driven by an AEB10 and 2x A4200 plus one A2200. My dealer told me, that the Exaktbox option sounds better, but I hadn’t yet a demo.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2016-10-20, 22:47 (This post was last modified: 2016-10-20 22:55 by Donald.)
(2016-10-20 21:31)BB1 Wrote:  I’m just wondering if anyone had the chance to compare the sound quality between an Exakt speaker system and its corresponding system composed of an Exaktbox and external amplification, e.g. Akubarik Exakt against Akubarik/p driven by an AEB10 and 2x A4200 plus one A2200. My dealer told me, that the Exaktbox option sounds better, but I hadn’t yet a demo.

Many of us on the Forum have done this demo (or have these systems) - general consensus is that Exaktbox with external amplification is better!

Also helps to build in a bit of future proofing just in case Exakt isn't around longer term - as if! Smile

I don't even try these days to get into the mindset of Linn Marketing but listing Exaktboxes as Upgrades makes no sense to me? These days the Exaktbox is where all the Magick happens and once Exakt Katalyst is deployed then who knows what levels of audio excellence will be available!

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2016-10-21, 08:25
(2016-10-20 12:21)hashluck Wrote:  The positioning as an upgrade still seems to be under-selling Exaktbox

Perhaps once Katalyst arrives (in the Klimax at least) they will get better marketing

I agree - an Exaktbox is much more than upgrade. Surely it should be under separates? There's a contradiction on the website anyway - if you scroll down the main page, the section Hi-Fi Separates has a link to Exakbox!

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2016-10-21, 17:52 (This post was last modified: 2016-10-21 17:56 by BB1.)
(2016-10-21 08:25)timster Wrote:  There's a contradiction on the website anyway - if you scroll down the main page, the section Hi-Fi Separates has a link to Exakbox!

You shouldn’t have mentioned that here. Wink
Now the link to Exaktbox has gone.

(2016-10-20 22:47)Donald Wrote:  
(2016-10-20 21:31)BB1 Wrote:  I’m just wondering if anyone had the chance to compare the sound quality between an Exakt speaker system and its corresponding system composed of an Exaktbox and external amplification, e.g. Akubarik Exakt against Akubarik/p driven by an AEB10 and 2x A4200 plus one A2200. My dealer told me, that the Exaktbox option sounds better, but I hadn’t yet a demo.

Many of us on the Forum have done this demo (or have these systems) - general consensus is that Exaktbox with external amplification is better!

Thanks for this information. I think I’ll keep my boxes when upgrading my gear next time.

2016-10-21, 18:19 (This post was last modified: 2016-10-21 18:22 by sunbeamgls.)
(2016-10-20 21:31)BB1 Wrote:  IMHO the Exaktboxes are important „Hi-FI Separates“ and shouldn’t be hidden under „Upgrades“. Even from a marketing point of view I don’t understand this decision, since any system on Akurate or Klimax level using Exaktboxes and external amplification should give much more profit to Linn than any system being based on an Exakt speaker of the same level.

I’m just wondering if anyone had the chance to compare the sound quality between an Exakt speaker system and its corresponding system composed of an Exaktbox and external amplification, e.g. Akubarik Exakt against Akubarik/p driven by an AEB10 and 2x A4200 plus one A2200. My dealer told me, that the Exaktbox option sounds better, but I hadn’t yet a demo.

I've done the comparison, but unfortunately in different rooms. On different continents. I still feel the separates are better, but its more of a feeling than a demoed definitive.
The separates benefit from many things such as separating the boxes and power supplies for DACs and power amps, true Akurate level amplification, no direct vibes from the speaker cabs. They do have the downside of all the extra connections, cables and signal path but the pros seem to outweigh the cons. More money too of course, but as Donald rightly points out, more flexibility for future directions too.
And you never know when a pair of loverly black Klimax Exaktboxes are going to turn up in your local secondhand store for 500gbp either... (actually, I think I do know when this is likely to happen!)

(2016-10-20 08:55)Jim Collinson Wrote:  
(2016-10-20 08:35)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Like the new look.

However, Exaktboxes as 'accessories'? Mine is a core part of my system. Shouldn't there be a category of its own or perhaps they should be part of he 'active' section?

Exaktboxes are now to be found under Upgrades, as they are only really used as part of an upgrade path for an existing system. 'The ultimate upgrade' if you will!

Jim

Apologies, that was a brain fade moment. I meant "upgrades" and like the others here, I think that's not a good place for them - this is your flagship technology, not a tweaked DR power supply or something.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2016-10-21, 22:06
(2016-10-21 18:19)sunbeamgls Wrote:  The separates benefit from many things such as separating the boxes and power supplies for DACs and power amps, true Akurate level amplification, no direct vibes from the speaker cabs. They do have the downside of all the extra connections, cables and signal path but the pros seem to outweigh the cons. More money too of course, but as Donald rightly points out, more flexibility for future directions too.

Hi Neil,

I strongly agree with you regarding the benefits and downsides of the separates you’ve mentioned and your conclusion.

For sure the total cost for a system with an Exaktbox is higher, but given my current system, an upgrade to Akubariks/p would be cheaper for me (based on the official retail prices in Germany).

Akubarik Passive + A2200: 15620€
Akubarik Exakt: 29700€

The difference of 14080€ can’t be compensated by trading in my Exaktbox and A4200s with a retail price of 18970€. I’m aware that the cost difference at Klimax level is much higher.

(2016-10-21 18:19)sunbeamgls Wrote:  And you never know when a pair of loverly black Klimax Exaktboxes are going to turn up in your local secondhand store for 500gbp either... (actually, I think I do know when this is likely to happen!)

I’ve listened to Klimax Exatboxes in direct comparison to an Akurate Exaktbox and they sounded really impressive. But after reading all the enthusiastic comments regarding Katalyst in this forum, I most likely will wait for the release of the Katalyst Akurate Exaxtbox before deciding whether upgrading my Exaktbox to Katalyst or buying two renewed KEBs is the better option for me.

2016-12-19, 09:37
It appears the Linn logo (top left) is fixed size, which means on a tablet it appears over the submenu text:

Using Chrome on Win10 tablet. Chrome on Win7 PC screen isn't affected so it must be a sizing issue. Looks messy.

Hello to Jason Isaacs