Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Music / Recorded Music v / New Bass Reference Track

New Bass Reference Track
2016-11-03, 19:06 (This post was last modified: 2016-11-03 19:22 by Paulssurround.)
RE: New Bass Reference Track
(2016-11-03 19:02)nrwatson Wrote:  h dear Paul
I am concerned a luther vandross lover
Ohs

Actually it is good music and sound quality is stunning, although it is not an album I reach for often.

However, the bass line in that track is amazing and background musical detail is excellent.

When I played that track in my system for Sunbeamgls, it blew his socks off!!! Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-11-03, 19:19
I agree that there are different kinds of bass to use to evaluate a system. On Boris Blank's One Minute to Go there is a deep resonating bass that persists through the track. On Marcus Miller's Cousin John there are deep bass sweeps along with the performance of the electric bass. The bass drum reproduction on Jim Keltner's Improvisation off the Sheffield recording is an excellent test for acoustic bass definition. The list goes on and on, which is why it's hard to have a generalized reference bass recording.
2016-11-03, 19:51 (This post was last modified: 2016-11-03 20:00 by Tin.)
My mostest 'bass' track is the first remix of 'Fuzzy Freaky' by David Byrne on 'the Visible Man' album.
And IMHO the album 'Earthling' by David Bowie is very boring if you don't have enough bass.
And of course symphony no.3 by St Saens needs a lot of bass to fully appreciate the organ in it.

As of mungling with younger generations; I think I read somewhere that Canada has very lenient laws concerning age, so maybe Donald could move in with Paul?

PS thanks for Boris Blank, listening to Electrified now. Smile
2016-11-03, 20:24
(2016-11-03 17:30)Paulssurround Wrote:  
(2016-11-03 17:13)moomintroll Wrote:  Just listening to Maroon 5 "Don't Wanna Know" on BBC Radio 2 - seems to have some very low, powerful bass in it.

Haven't tried the CD quality version though.

'troll

Some of my reference bass tracks include:

Bob Marley (Deluxe Edition) track "Buffalo Soldier"

My advice is to look out for "Concrete Jungle" by Bob Marley, the "Unreleased Jamaican version" https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Marley-The-W...ase/779174

Second track I like is "Disco Devil" by Lee Scratch Perry, it might be an acquired taste but this particular version rocks.

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2016-11-03, 21:12 (This post was last modified: 2016-11-03 21:37 by Seriousjon.)
(2016-11-03 14:17)sunbeamgls Wrote:  What do you mean by "bass reference" SJ?

Slam?
Complexity?
Tune?
Layers?
Speed?
Depth?
Something else?

Usually for me its a combination of slam and depth - for all of the rest I go to the double bass of Ron Carter on the track Turiya and Ramakrishna on Alice Coltranes Ptah the El Daoud

Thanks to everyone for some excellent recommedations - As Dizzee Rascal put it so well " I am a bassline junkee and I like it funky" :-)

Akurate DSM, Akurate Exaktbox10, Majik 6100, 2 * Akurate 2200, Akurate 242s, 2 * Akurate 226 Exaktbox Sub K400

Akurate DS, Classik Movie DI, Komponent 110s & 104s & sub

Sekrit DSi with Komponent 104s & sub

Raspberry Pi 3/Pi-Dac+, Rotel A10, K400 bi-wired Majik 140s (upgraded bases)

QNAP TS-253 Pro
2016-11-03, 23:10
(2016-11-03 19:51)Tin Wrote:  My mostest 'bass' track is the first remix of 'Fuzzy Freaky' by David Byrne on 'the Visible Man' album.
And IMHO the album 'Earthling' by David Bowie is very boring if you don't have enough bass.
And of course symphony no.3 by St Saens needs a lot of bass to fully appreciate the organ in it.

As of mungling with younger generations; I think I read somewhere that Canada has very lenient laws concerning age, so maybe Donald could move in with Paul?

Fuzzy Freaky has decent bass if you like wimpy bass, but is no match for LeRoux "In For The Kill" or Nils Lofgren's "Bass and Drum Intro" Tongue

That is the kind of bass that makes a manly man stand up proudly in the morning. Those tracks can shake tooth fillings free, dislodge nails holding the wall boards together and can deflect wayward comets that enter our solar system. Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2016-11-03, 23:32 (This post was last modified: 2016-11-03 23:36 by Evo.)
You could try the JL Audio - Test Tracks CD available from The Soundoctor. The track in question is #28.
(Word of warning, listen first at low volume, before turning the wick up. The track tests the excursion limits of your woofers). There is also a brilliant track #21 on the same CD from Holly Cole.

Another one I really like, is The Battle from the film soundtrack to Gladiator by Hans Zimmer
2016-11-04, 02:13
(2016-11-03 21:12)Seriousjon Wrote:  Usually for me its a combination of slam and depth....
While of limited music value on their ownsome lonesome, the cannon shots on the Telarc 1812 have an initial crack at 4Hz that, sadly, the DS filters out (Hint: Murray,is it possible to drop the filter keeping the DC out to a value to 3.xHz?). They ought to give you plenty of both, along with some serious dynamic compression of the loudspeaker drivers at higher volumes (assuming the amp doesn't clip first or go into protective shutdown...especially if the speaker impedance does funky stuff a little higher where the shot continues).

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2016-11-04, 06:27
Percussion pyromania on the Tag test disc takes some beating
Lovely with the 350s you can hear every individual drum

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2016-11-04, 07:38 (This post was last modified: 2016-11-04 07:41 by Tin.)
(2016-11-04 02:13)linnrd Wrote:  
(2016-11-03 21:12)Seriousjon Wrote:  Usually for me its a combination of slam and depth....
While of limited music value on their ownsome lonesome, the cannon shots on the Telarc 1812 have an initial crack at 4Hz that, sadly, the DS filters out (Hint: Murray,is it possible to drop the filter keeping the DC out to a value to 3.xHz?). They ought to give you plenty of both, along with some serious dynamic compression of the loudspeaker drivers at higher volumes (assuming the amp doesn't clip first or go into protective shutdown...especially if the speaker impedance does funky stuff a little higher where the shot continues).
4Hz? Is that on the SACD version?

(2016-11-03 23:10)Paulssurround Wrote:  
(2016-11-03 19:51)Tin Wrote:  My mostest 'bass' track is the first remix of 'Fuzzy Freaky' by David Byrne on 'the Visible Man' album.

Fuzzy Freaky has decent bass if you like wimpy bass, but is no match for LeRoux "In For The Kill" or Nils Lofgren's "Bass and Drum Intro" Tongue

That is the kind of bass that makes a manly man stand up proudly in the morning. Those tracks can shake tooth fillings free, dislodge nails holding the wall boards together and can deflect wayward comets that enter our solar system. Big Grin
Wimpy bass? I can't find the tracks you mention, but I assume that your puny bassless system misses out on the lowest part of Fuzzy Freaky. Tongue
Maybe you can bring LeRoux and Nils Lofgeen with you?