Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 05:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Music / Recorded Music v / New Bass Reference Track

New Bass Reference Track
2016-11-04, 09:34
RE: New Bass Reference Track
(2016-11-04 07:38)Tin Wrote:  
(2016-11-04 02:13)linnrd Wrote:  
(2016-11-03 21:12)Seriousjon Wrote:  Usually for me its a combination of slam and depth....
While of limited music value on their ownsome lonesome, the cannon shots on the Telarc 1812 have an initial crack at 4Hz that, sadly, the DS filters out (Hint: Murray,is it possible to drop the filter keeping the DC out to a value to 3.xHz?). They ought to give you plenty of both, along with some serious dynamic compression of the loudspeaker drivers at higher volumes (assuming the amp doesn't clip first or go into protective shutdown...especially if the speaker impedance does funky stuff a little higher where the shot continues).
4Hz? Is that on the SACD version?
It was on the CD layer back when it first came out. If I have the file here, I might be able to get that short canon shot segment to you (as it doesn't violate copyright under fair use). At the time an immensely successful marketing ploy since...most systems filtered out LF at the time (I'm not sure many of them were DC coupled) but let through enough for the marketing mavens to proclaim that they could reproduce frequencies at the resonance frequency of the cartridge/tonearm combination.

The interesting thing is that the waveform shows analog clipping of the "crack" most likely because the capturing chain underwent dynamic compression during that transient. The overall recording process itself was rather interesting and worth reading about because microphone chains have to be LF filtered to cut out ambient noise of the HVAC systems and building resonances of the studio. (There are some recordings where it is now possible to hear the subway vibrations on good reproduction systems.) Digital effects on movies can pretty much be produced almost down to DC, and good examples of ULF are the take-off scene in Apollo 13 and the synthesized T-Rex footsteps in Jurassic Park. I'm not sure because I haven't checked lately, but the LFE channel spec goes pretty low.

However, for your amusement, here is a wonderful example of marketing done right...and, yet, oh so wrong.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-11-04, 14:52
Got to thank SeriousJon for introducing me (via this thread) to the Monstercat albums.

Those sampled so far are right up my (Pascha) street Smile

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2016-11-04, 15:03
(2016-11-03 19:51)Tin Wrote:  My mostest 'bass' track is the first remix of 'Fuzzy Freaky' by David Byrne on 'the Visible Man' album.

Unfortunately it does not appear to be on Tidal.

The track "The Visible Man" that Tidal finds is something very different indeed!

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
2016-11-04, 15:14
(2016-11-03 21:12)Seriousjon Wrote:  Usually for me its a combination of slam and depth....
While of limited music value on their ownsome lonesome, the cannon shots on the Telarc 1812 have an initial crack at 4Hz that, sadly, the DS filters out (Hint: Murray,is it possible to drop the filter keeping the DC out to a value to 3.xHz?). They ought to give you plenty of both, along with some serious dynamic compression of the loudspeaker drivers at higher volumes (assuming the amp doesn't clip first or go into protective shutdown...especially if the speaker impedance does funky stuff a little higher where the shot continues).

(2016-11-03 23:10)Paulssurround Wrote:  
(2016-11-03 19:51)Tin Wrote:  My mostest 'bass' track is the first remix of 'Fuzzy Freaky' by David Byrne on 'the Visible Man' album.
And IMHO the album 'Earthling' by David Bowie is very boring if you don't have enough bass.
And of course symphony no.3 by St Saens needs a lot of bass to fully appreciate the organ in it.

As of mungling with younger generations; I think I read somewhere that Canada has very lenient laws concerning age, so maybe Donald could move in with Paul?

PS thanks for Boris Blank, listening to Electrified now. Smile

Fuzzy Freaky has decent bass if you like wimpy bass, but is no match for LeRoux "In For The Kill" or Nils Lofgren's "Bass and Drum Intro" Tongue

That is the kind of bass that makes a manly man stand up proudly in the morning. Those tracks can shake tooth fillings free, dislodge nails holding the wall boards together and can deflect wayward comets that enter our solar system. Big Grin
Wimpy bass? I can't find the tracks you mention, but I assume that your puny bassless system misses out on the lowest part of Fuzzy Freaky. Tongue
Maybe you can bring LeRoux and Nils Lofgeen with you?

Whilst "In For The Kill" has a decent bassline, I think Paul should've been a bit more specific - I think he's referring to the (Skream's Let's Get Ravey Remix) version. If you've got a room bass node, boy this is going to tell you about it. I suspect that Paul did not play this track on his visit to Avalon's, otherwise Mrs Avalon's china cabinet would be history...

2016-11-04, 17:43

And IMHO the album 'Earthling' by David Bowie is very boring if you don't have enough bass.
And of course symphony no.3 by St Saens needs a lot of bass to fully appreciate the organ in it.

As of mungling with younger generations; I think I read somewhere that Canada has very lenient laws concerning age, so maybe Donald could move in with Paul?

Fuzzy Freaky has decent bass if you like wimpy bass, but is no match for LeRoux "In For The Kill" or Nils Lofgren's "Bass and Drum Intro" Tongue

That is the kind of bass that makes a manly man stand up proudly in the morning. Those tracks can shake tooth fillings free, dislodge nails holding the wall boards together and can deflect wayward comets that enter our solar system. Big Grin
Wimpy bass? I can't find the tracks you mention, but I assume that your puny bassless system misses out on the lowest part of Fuzzy Freaky. Tongue

If I bring LeRoux over, it would require a specially designed shielded containment box lined in anti-bass particles.

It might be a bit much to carry, as I have a limit on luggage size. Tongue

(2016-11-04 15:14)sunbeamgls Wrote:  

Whilst "In For The Kill" has a decent bassline, I think Paul should've been a bit more specific - I think he's referring to the (Skream's Let's Get Ravey Remix) version. If you've got a room bass node, boy this is going to tell you about it. I suspect that Paul did not play this track on his visit to Avalon's, otherwise Mrs Avalon's china cabinet would be history...

Thanks for clarifying Sunbeam.

My diabolical plan revealed. Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2016-11-05, 07:51
Linnrd; I have the SACD, but I never spin discs anymore since I got the DS. I just bough a high res stereo version and play that on my DS.
But as the front speaker channels all go through the DS, they'll be cut off anyway, regardless if my sub will be able to convincingly do < 10Hz, which is probably the first bottleneck.
I'll fire up REW again today I think.
2016-11-05, 10:32
(2016-11-04 17:43)Paulssurround Wrote:  If I bring LeRoux over, it would require a specially designed shielded containment box lined in anti-bass particles.

I think Entreq make some of those don't they?

2016-11-05, 12:45
(2016-11-04 14:52)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Got to thank SeriousJon for introducing me (via this thread) to the Monstercat albums.

Those sampled so far are right up my (Pascha) street Smile

That's great Sunbeam - Kudos should really go to my eldest son who brings me a constant stream of of musical gems :-)

Akurate DSM, Akurate Exaktbox10, Majik 6100, 2 * Akurate 2200, Akurate 242s, 2 * Akurate 226 Exaktbox Sub K400

Akurate DS, Classik Movie DI, Komponent 110s & 104s & sub

Sekrit DSi with Komponent 104s & sub

Raspberry Pi 3/Pi-Dac+, Rotel A10, K400 bi-wired Majik 140s (upgraded bases)

QNAP TS-253 Pro
2016-11-07, 22:41
One track recommended by a forum user earlier this year that has a reasonable amount of bass 'heft' is 'Mistakes', by Lake Street Dive, from their album Side Pony.
Available on Qobuz (at least).

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2016-11-09, 22:02
FWIW my album of choice if I want test the bass of my system is by Brian Kennedy, called A Wanted Man. I just find the whole album to be so well recorded and the bass to be superb. If you have not heard the album and get a copy (or use Tidal) play track 3 first and play it loud. The vocal intro is pure and she the bass kicks in.....wow. The track is called 'Won't you take me home'.

Another album I love the bass on is Marillion, Misplaced Childhood.

Bill.

ADSM2 | 2250 | K400 | Keilidhs
RasberryPI-B/HiFiberry DAC | Classik | Kans MkII
QNAP 212P | Minimserver