Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-27, 22:15 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Development v / Raspberry Pi - OpenHome build

Raspberry Pi - OpenHome build
2018-02-16, 10:59
RE: Raspberry Pi - OpenHome build
Pete Manchester's openHome java version

openHome Java detailed instructions

thanks Gussie - does it work with Kazoo (I suspect not) - will try it on a spare SD card, just in case - lol

Majik DSM - Exakt Akudorik’s (oak)
Synology DS415+ running MinimServer

Aspirations - Katalyst upgrade on the ‘doriks & AEDSM.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-02-16, 11:05
(2018-02-16 10:59)Geoff_UK Wrote:  thanks Gussie - does it work with Kazoo (I suspect not) - will try it on a spare SD card, just in case - lol

Yes, it works well with Kazoo!

--------------
Majik DSi
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-02-16, 11:07
(2018-02-16 11:05)guussie Wrote:  
(2018-02-16 10:59)Geoff_UK Wrote:  thanks Gussie - does it work with Kazoo (I suspect not) - will try it on a spare SD card, just in case - lol

well !!

Guess what I will be wasting many, many hours on over the weekend !!

Majik DSM - Exakt Akudorik’s (oak)
Synology DS415+ running MinimServer

Aspirations - Katalyst upgrade on the ‘doriks & AEDSM.
2018-02-16, 13:00
(2018-02-16 11:07)Geoff_UK Wrote:  

well !!

Don't forget to report back!

--------------
Majik DSi
2018-02-16, 19:59
(2018-02-16 11:07)Geoff_UK Wrote:  

well !!

Hi,
Apologies if I am butting in, but have you considered LMS?
If it works with Linn DS (and a quick read indicates it might) then you may find putting Picoreplayer on the Pi quite straightforward, and this works with a wide range of DACs "out of the box". LMS will then show both the Linn and the Pi, and you can play these separately or synced, using various apps or browsers.
It worked with my odd little DAC with very little effort, and all without getting involved with Linux/ALSA commands at all.
LMS also has plugins for Tidal and Qobuz, among others.
Overall I find it better than Volumio, which I used for about 6 months before changing to LMS and Picoreplayer.
I run audio from the HDMI port on my Pi, because the analog out is horrible, and the USB out shares too much traffic with the network. I also know that HDMI on the Pi does not handle hi-res audio, but so far I don't have enough to worry about.
However you spend your weekend, I hope it's enjoyable and successful!
2018-02-19, 12:41
Hello, you say forget OpenHome Player and use the Java implementation by Pete, but per my previous post, if I understand correctly, this does not support Qobuz or Tidal?

Thanks, SoundAdikt.
2018-02-19, 12:47
(2018-02-19 12:41)SoundAdikt Wrote:  Hello, you say forget OpenHome Player and use the Java implementation by Pete, but per my previous post, if I understand correctly, this does not support Qobuz or Tidal?

This is correct. But for DS owners there is a workaround of sorts. Play and control Tidal/Qobuz through your DS, put the volume on the DS at 0 (or any other value you want), then stream to the RPi player. Works like a charm.

The alternative, but in my view less elegant, is to play Tidal on a computer and then stream it to the RPi using AirPlay. This will only work on a Mac. It may also work using Songcast, but I have not tried it.

--------------
Majik DSi