Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 16:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / Linn and where to start

Linn and where to start
2016-12-07, 20:29
Linn and where to start
I considered Linn a couple of year ago and I ended up going down a different route.
I love the product I chose but I am disillusioned with them as a company so my look at alternatives.

If I go the Linn route I assume I will need a network player and a Power Amplifier. Currently I have the Devialet 200 and this sort of has it as a one box solution.

So would it be like Akurate range I should be looking at.
I have the Melco N1A and SF Olympica 2 speakers and these are fairly new so would be looking to keep these as part of the system.

Klimax out of my price range and the Majik I presume is entry level.

Any suggestions appreciated
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-12-07, 21:13
RE: Linn and where to start
If you love the Devialet 200, why not keep it?

I tried to answer the question that you haven't asked, but it really depends on what you want. I have an Akurate level streamer and Majik amplifiers, and I would rather upgrade my streamer than the amplifiers.
If you want to keep your speakers, and why not, Akurate will at least increase your box count as you would need at least a streamer and an amp.

Linn does have several options for speakers with integrated amps, and Exakt technology (digital phase correctness) which means the DACs are also in those speakers, but it'll cost you.

The Melko can stay, so that's good.

I think you should decide on a budget and new vs secondhand and if you want to keep on upgrading or if you want to make 1 buy and be happy with that. Also, are you interested in 5.1?
Without all that kind of information it is difficult to give you any advice.
2016-12-07, 21:49 (This post was last modified: 2016-12-07 21:51 by Womaz.)
Thanks for reply.
Do you mean keep the Devialet and just add a Linn streamer? I never considered that but if I move over to Linn I would probably not keep the 200.
I would probably not go S/H as I would need to demo at home to compare with what i currently have. The 200 is a fantastic piece of kit, but I feel that I would not like to give them any more of my cash.
Which brings me to my budget. Its difficult to say but a maximum spend of say 9K, say I get 3k for my 200 so a 6K outlay for me.
There are other reasons why I may ditch Devialet, which i will not go into. I considered Linn two year ago for the reputation, but the vast array of products has me baffled.
I do use my 200 for my TV but this was only done recently, so 5.1 not a concern. Its primarily used for music playback. Hope this helps

Sorry just to add my speakers are new so they must stay as part of the set up
2016-12-07, 22:37
You should get a demo of Akurate DSM plus Akurate 2200 power amp!

AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox, 2*A4200/D, C2200/D, Akubariks
Majik DS-I, Katans
2016-12-08, 00:51
An Akurate streamer and Akurate 2200 amp would make a great system. You need to decide if you need preamp capabilities for other inputs like a turntable, tuner or disk player. If yes, then the Akurate DSM is the way to go. If your listening is only digital streaming, then you can buy an Akurate DS and go directly to the amp. For Akurate 2200 amp and DS you're probably at about £9k, and about £10k if you go with the DSM, before negotiating any discounts, so you should be in the range of your budget. If you need preamp capabilities and can't swing the total Akurate package, then get the Akurate DSM and a Majik amp.
Good luck

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen SCs
2016-12-08, 07:37 (This post was last modified: 2016-12-08 08:11 by hansen.)
Excuse Womaz, but I sold my Linn Klimax Monos (without dynamic power supply, before I had Klimax Twin, before Akurate 4200 dynamic, before Klout) for my D200 and I have no plans to change it.
All my sources are LINN. The modified Akurate allows best digital output as well as best analogue out. It is completely new build with PCM1794 DAC with sowter output transformer as well as new power supply. There are several all over Germany. (Dr. Volk is electronic expert at Daimler Benz in Stuttgart)

Gert Volk-ADSM DAC / MDSM (TV) / LP-12 / Unidisk 1.1 / D-200 / Troels Gravesen ATS-4 / Velodyne DD-15
2016-12-08, 07:59
Womaz; what I meant was, why do you want to stop using the Devialet if you love it?
Not liking a company is not a very good reason to spend € 10k if you like the product you already have.
But if you want to buy an Akurate DS (streaming only) or DSM (streaming and pre amp with plenty of inputs) and an Akurate 2200, I'd avice to listen to it in your home before you buy. Maybe you like the company Linn and not the product, and that would be a shame.

Hansen; I think I have read several times that Devialet will encode incoming analogue signals again to digital, and if that is true for the D-200 as well, there is hardly a point in putting an expensive streamer in front of the D-200, as it is just a digital transport, and the FLAC decoder inside is basically the same as the one in a Raspberry-Pi.So why do you have the combination?
I do not have a D-200, so my question is a question, not an opinion.
2016-12-08, 08:15 (This post was last modified: 2016-12-08 08:20 by bassato.)
hm... afraid your input is required first: i think it's commonly accepted, that linn sources are among the best you can get - you want a worldclass streamer: just go and get yourself a ds - not a risky process at all. when it comes to amplifying and speakers however, the route linn is taking you may like or not - not speaking about quality here but personal preferences. you won't find a lot about that in a linn forum of course, but also here is a fraction of people going a different route: for example linn streamer and atc active speaker is one of the more common combinations.

so you should really listen to linn amplification compared to your devialet and you will soon realize what meets your preferences best especially in interaction with your speakers that it seems you want to keep.

in any case i would rather go for a klimax renew than akurate - to me, regardless quality, the ads is an inbetweeny: you always know that you could go better but you have already spent a huge amount of money. wouldn't get me peace of mind...

systems can be found in profile
2016-12-08, 08:28 (This post was last modified: 2016-12-08 08:44 by hansen.)
@tin, it is the same with the Katalyst Klimax streamer, listening experience might be above technical datasheet of a DAC. Also, the Akurate is able to deliver 24-192 into D200 directly. Mostly, I'm listening to the analogue out, prefering to have the Linn app for control and not one for music selection and second for volume. Quality is at a level, I sold a Klimax/0 renew after comparing it to the current setup.

Gert Volk-ADSM DAC / MDSM (TV) / LP-12 / Unidisk 1.1 / D-200 / Troels Gravesen ATS-4 / Velodyne DD-15
2016-12-08, 08:38 (This post was last modified: 2016-12-08 08:41 by Tin.)
(2016-12-08 08:15)bassato Wrote:  hm... afraid your input is required first: i think it's commonly accepted, that linn sources are among the best you can get - you want a worldclass streamer: just go and get yourself a ds - not a risky process at all. when it comes to amplifying and speakers however, the route linn is taking you may like or not - not speaking about quality here but personal preferences. you won't find a lot about that in a linn forum of course, but also here is a fraction of people going a different route: for example linn streamer and atc active speaker is one of the more common combinations.

so you should really listen to linn amplification compared to your devialet and you will soon realize what meets your preferences best especially in interaction with your speakers that it seems you want to keep.

in any case i would rather go for a klimax renew than akurate - to me, regardless quality, the ads is an inbetweeny: you always know that you could go better but you have already spent a huge amount of money. wouldn't get me peace of mind...
Strange how people are different;
I accept that a KDS(M) is better than my ADSM, but I get close a third of the money -and- I don't have to buy a separate phono amp, saving a box, making my wife happy, for those occasions when I want to listen to vinyl -and- I have enough inputs to connect everything I would want, where the KSDM doesn't have enough for me.
The Renews, to me, have the same disadvantages as the normal KDS(M)s, but cannot be upgraded anymore, so in a few years time my ADSM will easily outperform the Renews.

The best part is; my ADSM sounds much better than -anything- that was on the market 15 years ago, and people were very happy with their systems in those days as well. So why would I not be happy with my much cheaper system these days?

Everything is relative. Smile

(2016-12-08 08:28)hansen Wrote:  @tin, it is the same with the Katalyst Klimax streamer, listening experience might be above technical datasheet of a DAC. Also, the Akurate is able to deliver 24-192 into D200 directly.
Okay, if it sounds better to you, I can't argue with that, but you pay a lot of money for an expensive DAC, in in your occasion even twice by upgrading it, and than you're not using it?
That sounds a terrible waste of money to me. Or am I still missing something?