Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / Linn and where to start

Linn and where to start
2016-12-08, 09:14
RE: Linn and where to start
(2016-12-08 08:38)Tin Wrote:  Strange how people are different;

isn't that wonderful? imagine us all hunting for the same women... Big Grin

system can be found in profile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-12-08, 09:41
(2016-12-08 09:14)bassato Wrote:  
(2016-12-08 08:38)Tin Wrote:  Strange how people are different;

isn't that wonderful? imagine us all hunting for the same women... Big Grin
Oh, I would recommend my wife to everybody.
According to her I'm not allowed to do so, so I won't, but I would. Smile
2016-12-08, 10:19
Some great replies on here so thanks guys.
Yes I love the 200, but I am at the stage where I have some cash to spend and the obvious route would be to upgrade to a Devialet 220 PRO, but as I say I really do not want to give them any more of my cash, although I may do so. It’s a long story but anyone who knows Devialet will know the problems.
That is why I am exploring other options. I would definitely not buy without an extended home audition as it takes me a lot of time to asses. In the first two or three hours of my Devialet home demo I wondered what all the fuss was about. However after a day or so I would have murdered my dealer if he had tried to take it away. It was the biggest step up I have ever heard in my hifi journey.
Why change then you ask? Well I have not had the opportunity to home demo other top end gear. It could be as good or better than the Devialet.
Adding a streamer to my current set up does not really make sense to me as the Melco N1A does a very good job of that when connected via USB to the Devialet. Surely the Devialet will be doing the same work as the DAC? My knowledge is limited though I admit.
Mind I used to use the AIR facility and if it had been stable I would have stuck with this as it was very good. I had to find a streamer as I lost patience with AIR, and after a bit of research I decided to go for one with a HD as this would get rid of another box and tidy things up a bit.
I did not expect the Melco to be as good as AIR as surely it is just a HD. I was surprisingly wrong, it more than matched it and improved the bass and detail by quite a bit from what I remember. So that sort of scuppered my thoughts that bits were bits.
I have my TV through my 200 and a headphone amp and I would still require these.
One thing I may take a punt on is a second hand Linn streamer to see if it does improve my system. However my money would probably be better spent on the 220 PRO upgrade, which brings me full circle to ….shall I look to move away from Devialet.
I would also consider the Mark Levinson 585 integrated, but that would have to wait as more costly option.
2016-12-08, 15:37 (This post was last modified: 2016-12-08 15:38 by DavidHB.)
Just for the avoidance of doubt (as there seems to be some confusion), a Linn DS or DSM would replace the DAC and preamplifier functions of the Devialet and the player function of the Melco, and you would also need a power amplifier.

Your desire for a home demo is exactly right. But you have many options available to you, and you will need visits to one or more dealers to whittle down the options. Also, it is worth remembering that, with Linn kit (and some other makes as well), dealer installation is, for most people, an essential part of tuning the system, especially if you wish to use SPACE optimisation (and you should).

Like Tin, I can't quite see why you would want to replace the Devialet if it is giving good service. Perhaps the dealer visits will convince you that your system is already pretty good and the money for the upgrade can usefully be spent on something else, or put by. That has happened to me a couple of times, and I think that it is a good outcome in itself. The key thing is to stop the available cash from burning a hole in your pocket, as I suspect that you really need to take things rather slowly, avoid random selections based on other people's opinions, and do a lot of rather careful listening.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2016-12-08, 16:21
You need to audition
I have gone down the Exakt route and have been very impressed and the free upgrades have been great
The ability to do SO has been a game changed and made such a difference not sure if you can do this with your speakers

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2016-12-08, 16:34
(2016-12-08 16:21)nrwatson Wrote:  The ability to do SO has been a game changer ... not sure if you can do this with your speakers.

The Sonus Faber Olympica II speakers are measured for SPACE optimisation, but not listed as Exakt compatible.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2016-12-08, 19:43
Again some great posts thank you. I definitely wont let the cash burn a hole in my pocket. It took me about 3 months to eventually got for the Devialet and slightly longer for the Olympicas.
I do a lot of research and reading , narrow it down and then i audition if possible.

The easy route is the Devialet upgrade and I may go down this route, but I want to explore other options first......I have even considered power conditioners, but I would not know where to start and also maybe my system does not warrant a power conditioner. All a learning curve