Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Tiger Paw Tranquility

Tiger Paw Tranquility
2017-10-05, 04:03 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-05 04:08 by Glyn Ruck.)
RE: Tiger Paw Tranquility
(2017-10-04 23:26)Tangerine Audio Wrote:  ^^^ The inner platter and the bearing housing should be noted as a pair, to plonk an old inner with its spindle into a new Cirkus housing is ill advised.

Regards,

Mark

They are not manufactured as matched pairs. I'll likely have a quieter bearing my way, not that it is likely that one could hear the difference. Also have the benefit of less wear debris generation during bed in. I have access to lab facilities that most don't. Stick to what you understand!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-05, 14:10
(2017-10-03 19:03)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Tune Dem is part of the religion to leave behind in my opinion. It has outlived its usefulness and was only meant to be a rough yardstick in the first place, not the bible.

Listening to a short piece of music is misleading in the extreme, it focuses on the small picture when it is the big picture that matters. I only ever listen to the whole track in an A/B.

i agree. i am uncomfortable with any prescribed "method" of listening to music, preferring simpler criteria such as 'does it engage?' 'can i pick up emotion in the music, if present?' 'are the nuances/subtleties there?' etc etc... sometimes the comparisons are somewhat obvious, but i always suspect something is not quite right if i have to A/B several times before making up my mind.

i found the needle drops uncomfortable to listen to -- this could have been for a variety of reasons other than the needle drops themselves. but after a couple of comparisons, i preferred the sans-TranQ, FWIW. But i believe it would be better to have an actual dem by a competent dealer -- who will know just how to set up the comparison environment to make the comparison easier...

there is no denying though that the TranQ seems to be a very 'clever' idea... and well priced too..

enjoy
ken
2017-10-08, 11:44
If I take the belt of my LP12 and gently spin the platter, it keeps going for a long time.

What happens on a deck fitted with the TQ? Is it less or more? I wonder if someone has done this and reported the findings?

If it is less than could the TQ be also presenting a more constant load against the motor ? A bit like the oil in Rega bearings?

Just curious on this.
2017-10-08, 11:54
(2017-10-05 14:10)ken c Wrote:  i agree. i am uncomfortable with any prescribed "method" of listening to music, preferring simpler criteria such as:
* 'does it engage?'
* 'can i pick up emotion in the music, if present?'
* 'are the nuances/subtleties there?' etc etc

+10! Smile

(2017-10-05 14:10)ken c Wrote:  ... sometimes the comparisons are somewhat obvious, but i always suspect something is not quite right if i have to A/B several times before making up my mind.

enjoy
ken

I generally find an A/B/A is sufficient to decide whether a change is for the better.

But sometimes, each change needs to be in place for a week of listening. Big Grin

Andy
2017-10-08, 16:15
(2017-10-05 14:10)ken c Wrote:  
(2017-10-03 19:03)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Tune Dem is part of the religion to leave behind in my opinion. It has outlived its usefulness and was only meant to be a rough yardstick in the first place, not the bible.

Listening to a short piece of music is misleading in the extreme, it focuses on the small picture when it is the big picture that matters. I only ever listen to the whole track in an A/B.

i agree. i am uncomfortable with any prescribed "method" of listening to music, preferring simpler criteria such as 'does it engage?' 'can i pick up emotion in the music, if present?' 'are the nuances/subtleties there?' etc etc... sometimes the comparisons are somewhat obvious, but i always suspect something is not quite right if i have to A/B several times before making up my mind.

i found the needle drops uncomfortable to listen to -- this could have been for a variety of reasons other than the needle drops themselves. but after a couple of comparisons, i preferred the sans-TranQ, FWIW. But i believe it would be better to have an actual dem by a competent dealer -- who will know just how to set up the comparison environment to make the comparison easier...

there is no denying though that the TranQ seems to be a very 'clever' idea... and well priced too..

enjoy
ken

Given competent setup, recording and playback of the LP12 changes in question, I can’t think of an easier and better environment than your own system to make an evaluation of what change is better.

Having the two pieces of music cued up in two windows in Audacity with the cursor on each recording set to playback from the same point in any part of the song couldn’t be done by hand cueing of the physical record. The time between switches from listening to one recording to the next is a matter of a few seconds.

LP12, Exposure amps, Tannoy Speakers, Mana & Symposium Supports
2017-10-08, 16:43
But digitized through crap!
2017-10-08, 17:21
you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink

LP12, Exposure amps, Tannoy Speakers, Mana & Symposium Supports
2017-10-08, 17:24 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-08 17:28 by Glyn Ruck.)
Why would anybody wish to evaluate a high end analogue signal via cheap digitization using rubbish AD/DAC's in a PC or laptop? It beggars belief.

"Source First!" ???
2017-10-08, 17:35
(2017-10-08 17:24)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Why would anybody wish to evaluate a high end analogue signal via cheap digitization using rubbish AD/DAC's in a PC or laptop? It beggars belief.
"Source First!" ???

It is all about the DIFFERENCES between TWO clips.

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2017-10-08, 17:38 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-08 17:39 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2017-10-08 17:35)matthias Wrote:  
(2017-10-08 17:24)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Why would anybody wish to evaluate a high end analogue signal via cheap digitization using rubbish AD/DAC's in a PC or laptop? It beggars belief.
"Source First!" ???

It is all about the DIFFERENCES between TWO clips.

Matt

Matt. I have multiple high end digital front ends. I know how bad a PC sounds & how bad the conversion is. You can't make any sort of sensible comparison between two clips. How would you know which is better?