Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 14:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / Where to start with a streaming system

Where to start with a streaming system
2017-02-14, 12:32
Where to start with a streaming system
Hello all. I'm in the position to move from my current Cyrus system to something better and am considering Linn. I've been lucky enough to have a brief listen to Sunbeam Gls's system and visited house of Linn last week.

I'm not a great browser of catalogues and once Aktive and Exakt are thrown into the mix the Linn range has taken a little getting my head round....

We're very possibly going to move house in the next year or two, so my thought is to stick with my WB Arcs and get the source and amplification right, then change the speakers later if necessary. I understand that I will quite likely be able to convert the Arcs to Exakt in the near future - whatever, I think that if I do "go Linn" Exakt is the thing to aim for, so the speaker issue is not set in stone (I was impressed by the Majik speakers at HOL).

I'm looking for a streaming system, possibly with a Melco or similar (although this could come later). I have a budget for everything (including furniture, cables etc) of up to £10k. Ex demo or used is fine. Suggestions please !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-02-14, 12:50
RE: Where to start with a streaming system
The best IMHO is to have the other part of 'we' help you with this. Be it speaker colour, size or box count, they have to live with your choice, not us.

As far as the Melco is concerned: that is going to scoop up a decent part of your budget that could be spend with much, much more impact. You'll want to buy a decent cake first before worrying about the icing.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-02-14, 13:00 (This post was last modified: 2017-02-14 13:00 by Patrick1964.)
There are few areas of my life where I have control - this is one of them ?

I agree with the comment about the Melco though, just a thought.
2017-02-14, 13:06
An Akururate Exakt DSM and a pair of Exakt Akudoriks.
Pretty speakers, low box count, best performance (really).
"But dear, they do cost a bit more."
Use your imagination. Smile

Tin can telephone system.
2017-02-14, 13:11
Way over budget, but thanks for your input.
2017-02-14, 14:09
If you are keen to end up with an Exakt system is seems a shame to spend up front on a DSM with analogue outputs, the price difference between the Akurate DSM and Exakt-DSM is significant.

An Akurate Exakt DSM, Majik Exaktbox-i and a pair of passive Akudoriks are only a bit over budget. Going for second hand Akurate 212s could come in under budget.

I am sure the guys on here will come up with other alternatives...

Phil.
2017-02-14, 14:15
(2017-02-14 14:09)Phil Budd (Philbo) Wrote:  If you are keen to end up with an Exakt system is seems a shame to spend up front on a DSM with analogue outputs, the price difference between the Akurate DSM and Exakt-DSM is significant.

An Akurate Exakt DSM, Majik Exaktbox-i and a pair of passive Akudoriks are only a bit over budget. Going for second hand Akurate 212s could come in under budget.

I am sure the guys on here will come up with other alternatives...

Phil.

Thanks Phil - did you mean Akurate Exakt DS (i.e.not DSM) ?
2017-02-14, 14:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-02-14 14:38 by mrco99.)
Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the forum.

When starting anew with a Linn system, and your given budget I´d go for
Akurate Exakt DSM with Majik-I Exaktbox + whatever fits the budget concerning speakers.

You could just start with s/h Ninkas, Espeks or Majik 140.
Majik Isobariks must be very good when Exakted too.
While enjoying this fresh start, you may save up for an even better set of speakers, but those mentioned will do - mighty - fine.
With a not too expensive speaker, there may be even some room for a LP12

But do have a listen first

Smile

LP12 - KDS1 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik 6.0 - Satagun Mono 1.3 Preamps - Tundra Mono 2.2 Poweramps - Akurate 242 mk2

Lejonklou • NOKTable Turntable stand • Quadraspire supplier

www.hexagonaudio.eu
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-02-14, 14:21
I think I may have misunderstood, do the DS units lack the preamp as well as inputs of the DSM ?
2017-02-14, 14:27
(2017-02-14 14:15)Patrick1964 Wrote:  Thanks Phil - did you mean Akurate Exakt DS (i.e.not DSM) ?

No; Phil meant the Akurate Exakt DSM (AEDSM), which is an Akurate DSM (ADSM) without analogue outputs (i.e no onboard DAC) and which therefore can only be used with an Exakt system. A pig in a poke? Maybe, but it is £3,650 cheaper than the full ADSM.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko