Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 01:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Announcements & Linn News v / Linn Launching Exakt.Design at HIFIWIGWAM 2017

Linn Launching Exakt.Design at HIFIWIGWAM 2017
2017-04-03, 10:58
RE: Linn Launching Exakt.Design at HIFIWIGWAM 2017
Hi phino, yes, that option had caught my eye. I'm not really aware of any multi-channel DACs, although to be honest I haven't really looked into this option all that deeply. All the "serious" DACs that I'm aware of are two-channel. My feeling is that going down the multi-channel DAC route *might* be a bit of a compromise too far. That seems to be re-enforced by the recent Katalyst chat as it appears the DAC quality still has a fundamentally important role in an Exakt system (and why not, source first and all that). In fact, given the need for DVC in an Exakt system, this makes the DAC architecture even more important. I wouldn't be confident that whatever multi-channel DACs are out there would even approach Majik level audio performance, whereas I'd feel a lot more confident about the quality and suitability of the DACs in a Linn Exaktbox, especially at Akurate level (maybe even with Katalyst one day!)

ADSM/1 -> 4200/1 x 2 -> Aktiv 109's
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-03, 11:27
Indeed Smile I get the impression that Exakt.design is aimed at the hobbyist who wants to design a crossover for diy loudspeakers - but that it extends all the way up the chain. So you could design your crossover for your funky new (or existing) speakers using cheap multi channel dacs and then when you're happy you can move up the hardware chain as far as you like, all the way to Klimax Katalyst Exaktboxes, or anywhere in-between.
I like the idea - tweaker's heaven. But I suspect I wouldn't be able to beat Linn at it Big Grin. On the other hand, it seems the Ninka tweeters are no more - this sounds like a good way to be able to incorporate Scanspeak equivalents if the need ever arises.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-04-03, 11:53
(2017-04-03 11:27)phino Wrote:  Indeed Smile I get the impression that Exakt.design is aimed at the hobbyist who wants to design a crossover for diy loudspeakers - but that it extends all the way up the chain. So you could design your crossover for your funky new (or existing) speakers using cheap multi channel dacs and then when you're happy you can move up the hardware chain as far as you like, all the way to Klimax Katalyst Exaktboxes, or anywhere in-between.
I like the idea - tweaker's heaven. But I suspect I wouldn't be able to beat Linn at it Big Grin. On the other hand, it seems the Ninka tweeters are no more - this sounds like a good way to be able to incorporate Scanspeak equivalents if the need ever arises.

I would expect this to be the intention - get people involved in Exakt then they'll be keen to see what hardware is available to make them sound even better.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-04-03, 11:58
(2017-04-02 20:17)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Some SEAS tweeters that were 'lying around the factory' and what look like series 5 mids. Scanspeak subs. (Although the brand of tweeter and sub might've been the other way around.

The smaller 'top-box' speakers were modified versions of the Wilmslow audio Geminis (themselves modified versions of the original Dynaudio Geminis).

We chose not to use the standard kit for a few reasons;
1) we did not need the passive crossovers
2) we needed three pairs of inputs
3) we didn't want to buy drive units with the kit
4) we needed to re-tune the port lengths in accordance with the change to alternative bass/mids

The final Scalford Geminis used Morel tweeters with series 5 bass/mids (Scanspeak, but not off the shelf).

The additional subwoofer was added when I realised we would be in an 80 m^2 room so thought a bit more grunt would be useful. These were made up using some 10" SEAS subs I had lying around, augmented with Exakt filtering to push down to 19 Hz in a 35 L sealed box.

The whole system ran off a Majik Exaktbox-i. The sub was output from the RCA connection of the first channel to one of our old subwoofer modules (to provide the current required for the augmented filter). The Geminis then ran off the remaining three amplified outputs from the Exaktbox-i.

The system sounded pretty damn good, though its looks may not be to most folks tastes...

Phil.
2017-04-03, 12:59
(2017-04-03 09:45)Music at Home Wrote:  
(2017-04-03 09:35)finster Wrote:  Foobar2000 is certainly a very interesting avenue for me. Not sure I understand how it would be configured to run with foobar though. I assume it replaces the DS and packages up the data stream in the proprietary "Exakt" format to the Exaktbox, via a supplied Linn plugin? Maybe?

That would be interesting if possible. If I could somehow stream to an Exaktbox from music stored internally on my MacMini (for example) I wouldn't need to invest in an Exakt only DSM. That would make "giving it a go" a lot easier.

Just thinking some more about this, what's needed is a little protocol converter box. USB or Ethernet in, Exakt Link out. Stick it in a box the size of an Exaktbox Sub (or smaller).

ADSM/1 -> 4200/1 x 2 -> Aktiv 109's
2017-04-03, 15:39 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-03 15:42 by sunbeamgls.)
At the moment the thinking seems to be a Foobar software plug-in, then signal out of USB to a low cost 8 channel DAC - so the Exakt stuff all done in the PC, no need for an Exaktlink.

(2017-04-03 11:58)Phil Budd (Philbo) Wrote:  
(2017-04-02 20:17)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Some SEAS tweeters that were 'lying around the factory' and what look like series 5 mids. Scanspeak subs. (Although the brand of tweeter and sub might've been the other way around.

The smaller 'top-box' speakers were modified versions of the Wilmslow audio Geminis (themselves modified versions of the original Dynaudio Geminis).

We chose not to use the standard kit for a few reasons;
1) we did not need the passive crossovers
2) we needed three pairs of inputs
3) we didn't want to buy drive units with the kit
4) we needed to re-tune the port lengths in accordance with the change to alternative bass/mids

The final Scalford Geminis used Morel tweeters with series 5 bass/mids (Scanspeak, but not off the shelf).

The additional subwoofer was added when I realised we would be in an 80 m^2 room so thought a bit more grunt would be useful. These were made up using some 10" SEAS subs I had lying around, augmented with Exakt filtering to push down to 19 Hz in a 35 L sealed box.

The whole system ran off a Majik Exaktbox-i. The sub was output from the RCA connection of the first channel to one of our old subwoofer modules (to provide the current required for the augmented filter). The Geminis then ran off the remaining three amplified outputs from the Exaktbox-i.

The system sounded pretty damn good, though its looks may not be to most folks tastes...

Phil.

See, the Doombar did have an effect on my memory...

I do remember the Scalford Ceramics Hyper-Acoustic High Density Cryogenically Treated Room Suspension Dampers ™ though (the special edition with the "scraped moss" effect finish).

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
2017-04-04, 08:49 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-04 08:50 by Phil Budd (Philbo).)
(2017-04-03 15:39)sunbeamgls Wrote:  I do remember the Scalford Ceramics Hyper-Acoustic High Density Cryogenically Treated Room Suspension Dampers ™ though (the special edition with the "scraped moss" effect finish).

They were actually the 'Subsonic Leakage Active Blockage System' from a company called Paivyng.
2017-04-04, 09:01
(2017-04-03 15:39)sunbeamgls Wrote:  At the moment the thinking seems to be a Foobar software plug-in, then signal out of USB to a low cost 8 channel DAC - so the Exakt stuff all done in the PC, no need for Exaktlink

If this is the plan I don't really understand the business model for Linn? Is this just an introduction to Exakt for folks in the hope that they go on and buy boxes? Seems to me that replicating the Exakt protocol in software feeding a Linn Exakt box, serves as a good interim stepping stone, makes Linn money on Exakt crossover/DAC sales and even opens up opportunity for Katalyst upgrade when it comes to an exaktbox near you! With the multitude of Exakt box Models (channels and quality) to choose from why would people buy a third party DAC? Software offers greater flexibility and future proofing for media management (streaming, storage, format conversion and general control through UI) - there are a lot of technically aware PC Audiophiles out there who may well jump on Exakt if it's made possible.
2017-04-04, 10:42
(2017-04-04 09:01)finster Wrote:  
(2017-04-03 15:39)sunbeamgls Wrote:  At the moment the thinking seems to be a Foobar software plug-in, then signal out of USB to a low cost 8 channel DAC - so the Exakt stuff all done in the PC, no need for Exaktlink

If this is the plan I don't really understand the business model for Linn? Is this just an introduction to Exakt for folks in the hope that they go on and buy boxes? Seems to me that replicating the Exakt protocol in software feeding a Linn Exakt box, serves as a good interim stepping stone, makes Linn money on Exakt crossover/DAC sales and even opens up opportunity for Katalyst upgrade when it comes to an exaktbox near you! With the multitude of Exakt box Models (channels and quality) to choose from why would people buy a third party DAC? Software offers greater flexibility and future proofing for media management (streaming, storage, format conversion and general control through UI) - there are a lot of technically aware PC Audiophiles out there who may well jump on Exakt if it's made possible.

I don't understand the business model either - at Scalford, Linn were polling the audience about their interest in a low cost (Linn?) DAC to go with the software.

2017-04-05, 14:10
(2017-04-04 10:42)sunbeamgls Wrote:  
(2017-04-04 09:01)finster Wrote:  

I don't understand the business model either - at Scalford, Linn were polling the audience about their interest in a low cost (Linn?) DAC to go with the software.

Meridian seem to have a business model for selling DAC's. Not sure why Linn couldn't:

https://www.meridian-audio.com/en/products/dacs/

Roy.

------
Linn Akurate DS, Linn Exotik+DA, Naim NAP 250 DR, NAP v175
Linn Akurate 242Mk2, Centrik, 5110, B&W PV1.