Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-11, 08:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Development v / Davaar 55 video pass-through

Davaar 55 video pass-through
2017-03-14, 08:26
Davaar 55 video pass-through
A while ago I described a problem with Davaar 52:
https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=34765
I didn't find issue #4387 marked as being solved in the release notes since Davaar 52. Furthermore I can confirm that with Davaar 4.55.170 the issue still persists.
Video pass-through only functions when the corresponding source - HDMI1 in my case - is selected. Once it is established the source can be changed to analog, playlist, Toslink etc. without losing video.

ADSM/0, NAD Masters M22, KEF R700
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-14, 16:33
RE: Davaar 55 video pass-through
Hi Hagen2000,

There was an issue with the default HDMI source which we thought would resolve your issue, this was to restore the last used HDMI source when the HDMI board powers up, which is how Davaar 37 operated. There must be more to this so I'll set a system up for retest, do you still have the unit configured to power down the HDMI board in standby? Do you have any other HDMI sources connected?

Thanks
Jim
2017-03-14, 18:01
(2017-03-14 16:33)Jim Wrote:  Hi Hagen2000,

There was an issue with the default HDMI source which we thought would resolve your issue, this was to restore the last used HDMI source when the HDMI board powers up, which is how Davaar 37 operated. There must be more to this so I'll set a system up for retest, do you still have the unit configured to power down the HDMI board in standby?
Yes
Quote:Do you have any other HDMI sources connected?

Thanks
Jim
No, HDMI 1 is the only HDMI source connected.

As reported before, when a source other than HDMI 1 is active, on powering up the blu ray player HDMI 1 is selected but with no video / black screen.
When switching the source to HDMI 1, the device get's recognized again, now with video enabled.
2017-03-15, 11:20
Hi Hagen2000

Does the issue still occur if you don't have the device configured to power off HDMI in standby?

Eamonn

Majik DSM/1 - Akurate 2200 - Akurate 212, Sneaky Music DS - Komponent 104
2017-03-15, 20:17
I will test it until the weekend and turn back again as soon as I have some results.

2017-03-16, 10:53
Hi,

I've retested this with numerous sources, although I don't have a Cambridge Azur 650 BD, and cannot reproduce the issue.
Along with the test discussed with Eamonn, do you have any other HDMI sources you could try?
Also, does your player have CEC enabled?

Thanks
Jim
2017-03-17, 07:52
(2017-03-15 11:20)eamonnb Wrote:  Hi Hagen2000

Does the issue still occur if you don't have the device configured to power off HDMI in standby?

Eamonn

With this setting set to "No" video pass-through did work as expected at least two times. Having reverted back to "Yes", the issue returned again.

2017-03-17, 08:02
(2017-03-16 10:53)Jim Wrote:  Hi,

I've retested this with numerous sources, although I don't have a Cambridge Azur 650 BD, and cannot reproduce the issue.
Along with the test discussed with Eamonn, do you have any other HDMI sources you could try?
Also, does your player have CEC enabled?

Thanks
Jim

In the CA 650 BD I have HDMI CEC set to off. In my TV I have VIERA LINK set to off. I did both because when I play CD/SACD (i.e. music only) on the CA 650 BD I don't want my TV to power up.
Sorry but the CA 650 BD is my only HDMI source.

I should note that the 650 BD is completely disconnected from the mains when the ADSM awakes from standby. It will only be powered up on demand as we use it only occasionally.

2017-04-23, 15:14
The issue is still persistent with Davaar 4.56.173.

Anybody knows how much power will be saved when HDMI is turned off in standby?

2017-10-01, 16:47
I bring up this old thread in order to reflect things with latest Davaar version.

In the meantime I'm working with Davaar 4.59.185 having the same issue in principal. However I managed to find a workaround: If I set the Startup Source to input HDMI1 (where the BD player is connected to), the problem does not occur. That is not a perfect solution but working for me.

Furthermore the problem does not occur if I don't power down the BD player completely when the ADSM is powered off (I power down all source devices etc. when the ADSM is off to save energy and to avoid unnecessary production of heat. When the ADSM goes from standby to active mode, this is detected by external electronics and other devices are connected to power automatically).

I suppose that the timing of the HDMI startup is more critical (faster) from Davaar versions higher than 37. The BD player seems not to be completely ready after being powered up when the ADSM is running its HDMI detection.

A slight delay might help Smile