Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-16, 22:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / The best investment for years in my music is ...

The best investment for years in my music is ...
2017-03-20, 17:38
RE: The best investment for years in my music is ...
In both the same. If you do not need a tip how you can improve your sound should not you this thread intress. Do not try to negate my experience. I write this here as a tip for people who want to have better sound.

Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)
Hörland - Over 40 years LINN
Open Source Seite: http://www.jpo-aktuell.de/OpenSource.php

New LP12, Radikal, Urika, Kore, Ekos SE, Kristal / QNAP 569 Pro / RME UCX
Akurate Exakt DSM2 / Kinsky (Minim) - Sneaky
Akubarik with Amp Stands / Silvercable - Unik / K200
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-20, 18:25 (This post was last modified: 2017-03-21 14:20 by kiko65.)
I am not trying to negate your experience and I always welcome tips on how to improve the sound of my system. Looking at your signature, you have a hell of a system. Something that many of us will never be able to afford. This is EXACTLY why I have expressed my opinion, for people looking for tips that will offer the best bang for the buck. Many of us will never feel the need to buy a new LP12. To say that an old LP12 only makes noise is misleading......perhaps even insulting. My 86 LP12 makes wonderful and beautiful music, clearly better than a stock Majik LP12.....I rest my case.

________________________________________________________________________________​​______________________________________________________
86 Afro-Fluted LP12/Cirkus/Majik Standard Sub-Chassis/Lingo2/Ittok LVII/T-kable/KlydeB/Linto/Tramolin2/Mimik/AV-5103/AV-5125/Aktiv Ninka/Sizmik10.25/K400/Silver

86LP12, 2015 Cirkus, Lingo2, Aluminum Sub-chassis/5-layer laminate arm-board/Ittok LVII/Soundsmith rebuilt Troika/T-Kable/Tramp2/Linto/AV5103Processor/AV5125D Power Amp x 2/Ninka x 2/Trikan/Komponent 104 x 2/Sizmik10.25/Silvers/Blacks/K400s/K20s
Find all posts by this user
2017-03-20, 20:28
Okay I mean the same "for people looking for tips that will offer the best bang for the buck". For example I will update my Akubarik cost ca. 10.000 my new LP12 cost 2.120,-. That the Reason why I write this here.

2017-03-20, 21:48 (This post was last modified: 2017-03-20 21:54 by LD100.)
(2017-03-20 20:28)JPO2005 Wrote:  Okay I mean the same "for people looking for tips that will offer the best bang for the buck". For example I will update my Akubarik cost ca. 10.000 my new LP12 cost 2.120,-. That the Reason why I write this here. Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)

No need to apologize for your English, I was born and raised in Chicago so I can barely speak any language.Tongue

But I think language may be have a hand in this discussion, as an owner of a original 1978 LP12 with no upgrades, I did not accept your referencing old LP12s as making "noise", however, I would accept the phrase that there will be a "night and day" difference between my LP12 and a brand spanking new top of the line 2017 version of a LP12.

Would I like the new version's sound better...I would think so.
But having said that, I love what has been called on this forum the "soft, warm comfy slipper" sound of the original 70s version of the LP12.

The bottom line is everyone has their own preference when it comes to sound and one of the great things about a LP12 is that you can tailor that sound by changing (upgrading) parts to what sounds best to you. Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-03-21, 06:39
Okay I see. I have felt this way but it is certainly better to write that the new LP12 makes much more music. It is much more sophisticated without sounding technical. It is softer without losing information. The players stand in the room and stand by when you pass the boxes. You just hear more.

2017-03-21, 06:55
(2017-03-20 18:25)kiko65 Wrote:  for people looking for tips that will offer the best bang for the buck.

I know a lot of possibilities to improve the sound, but also cost nothing. It is only difficult to post this here because there is equally argued against ridiculous arguments. I will however times make a list which one can improve everything and in my opinion must also. Perhaps one admits to me times some experience with Linn products too.

To my story.
- I've been with Linn for over forty years and have since then also an LP12.
- I worked for a long time at Linn Germany and was also in Glasgow for training
- I had a shop for musical hi-fi systems with predominantly Linn products
- Then I have made large-scale events and partly supervised studios
- Developed one of the best guitar cases with patent. This is easy if you use what you learned at Linn.
- Today I do computer engineering and create shops, websites and more.

My focus in the Linn devices is in the power supply, I have so far refined the even Linn dealers are intressiert, since the sound improvement is really immense.

2017-03-21, 19:58
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us , the LP12 has become a world class player that can hold its own against many of the high end heavyweight big hitters out there, without giving anything away in musical satisfaction. It looks gorgeous in a purely "form dictating function" sort of way and still has the ability to look chic and "now" in the right setting. It sets a reference standard for all others to beat in the way it engages the listener with the music.
A tough act to follow.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-03-22, 19:20 (This post was last modified: 2017-03-23 18:50 by kiko65.)
(2017-03-21 06:55)JPO2005 Wrote:  
(2017-03-20 18:25)kiko65 Wrote:  for people looking for tips that will offer the best bang for the buck.

I know a lot of possibilities to improve the sound, but also cost nothing. It is only difficult to post this here because there is equally argued against ridiculous arguments. I will however times make a list which one can improve everything and in my opinion must also. Perhaps one admits to me times some experience with Linn products too.

To my story.
- I've been with Linn for over forty years and have since then also an LP12.
- I worked for a long time at Linn Germany and was also in Glasgow for training
- I had a shop for musical hi-fi systems with predominantly Linn products
- Then I have made large-scale events and partly supervised studios
- Developed one of the best guitar cases with patent. This is easy if you use what you learned at Linn.
- Today I do computer engineering and create shops, websites and more.

My focus in the Linn devices is in the power supply, I have so far refined the even Linn dealers are intressiert, since the sound improvement is really immense.

I hope that you didn't find my comments offensive. I was simply trying to state the obvious. The age of the LP12 should not dictate the level of performance. Most important is the sum of the parts and how well these are combined and set up properly.

Agreed (from the beginning) that, all things being equal, the newer LP12 will sound more on point and cohesive than an old one.

The same way that, all things being equal, the table with the best PS will always win.

Interesting to hear that your focus is in the PS and that you have been able to refine it. Please tell us more Wink

86LP12, 2015 Cirkus, Lingo2, Aluminum Sub-chassis/5-layer laminate arm-board/Ittok LVII/Soundsmith rebuilt Troika/T-Kable/Tramp2/Linto/AV5103Processor/AV5125D Power Amp x 2/Ninka x 2/Trikan/Komponent 104 x 2/Sizmik10.25/Silvers/Blacks/K400s/K20s