Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 03:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Music / Live Music / Red Hot Chilli Peppers Concert Last Night

Red Hot Chilli Peppers Concert Last Night
2017-03-20, 02:33
Red Hot Chilli Peppers Concert Last Night
The Red Hot Chilli Peppers played a concert last night in Vancouver, and it was excellent.

The concert was sold out, but Red Hot Chilli Peppers is one of my favourite bands and I decided I would buy the tickets on the day of the event, even though I knew I would get clobbered by the ticket resellers.

I did not buy the tickets until 1:00 pm on the day of the concert, but I thought I might pick up a good seat if there was a single available seat in a good section of the concert venue.

I got very lucky and ended up with a seat in row 3, off the floor, just to the right of the stage. My seat was exactly lined up with row 1 of the floor seats and I was just 20 feet from the stage. Bonus.

First act was a solo performance by the very first drummer for Red Hot Chilli Peppers, decades ago.

Next up was an amazing band called Trombone Shorty, whom I had never heard of before. These guys were spectacular and their musicianship and entertainment was top notch. They got the crowd going in a frenzy.

They alone were worth the price of the ticket, and I was so entertained by their performance, I would have bought the ticket just to see them. Sound quality was excellent.

Here is a sampler of Trombone Shorty from YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRhacGLGEs

This second video shows their current lineup of band members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nicIamsDdU

Then with great anticipation, came the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

I was maybe 50 feet from the centre of the stage, so had a fantastic view of the whole show. Flea would come over to our side of the stage on occasion to whip the crowd into a frenzy.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers played hit after hit of many of my favourite songs from them. However, I was so close to the sub-woofers that the bass over shadowed some of the music. It was so loud, it measure well over 115-120 dB, and at times, my ears were so overwhelmed with sound, it sometimes took me a minute into the song to figure out which song they were playing.

Many of the songs did not follow the studio recordings versions that closely, but often erupted into jam sessions.

They played a good cross section of music from their many albums and the crowd went wild whenever they played their hits.

I ended up dancing and singing along through much of the RHCP music. Everyone was standing throughout the show, so it was the best way to get into the music.

The only downside was that Anthony, the lead singer had injured his foot at a previous concert and did not dance around in his usual manner along with the other band members.

I walked home a very happy bunny, having had a great time and the ear wax in my ears was sonically removed.

So the show had great value for my heart, soul and an added bonus of cleaning my ears. Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-20, 09:20
RE: Red Hot Chilli Peppers Concert Last Night
Good write up, Paul. Nice that you were lucky with the ticket. Good that you liked Trombone Shorty (although I was surprised they were supporting RHCP), I saw them at the Sarasota Blues Festival in 2010 and again in New Orleans about 4 years ago. A wonderful live act.

'troll
2017-03-20, 17:23
RE: Red Hot Chilli Peppers Concert Last Night
Thanks 'troll

You really get around to the concerts it seems. Big Grin

I know that Flea, the bass guitar player in Red Hot Chilli Peppers, plays trumpet, and perhaps that is part of the connection they have with Trombone Shorty?

Absolutely terrific entertainment value!!!

With regards to the ticket resellers though, that is another story.

These ticket sellers, Ticket Master and Live Nation must be run by a bunch of crooks?

When the tickets first go on sale officially, the Ticket Master have other divisions of their company, based out of the US, that buy up most of the tickets, using computer bots, so the group sells out in minutes.

They will grab one third or more of the tickets and then resell them at a high profit.

Then the reseller sites sell them on their own US website at a substantial profit, add on exorbitant handing fees, and then charge in American dollars.

So for example, my ticket may have had a face value of $125 Canadian when sold on the Ticket Master website, but those tickets are all sold to the reseller site.

They mark up the price to $154 USD, add on a $42 USD handling fee, and then it is paid in US dollars.

My cost, $250 Canadian. Sad

This is highway robbery.

I expect a markup in cost, but not like that.

They have been investigated, but because the resellers are based in the US, our legislation can't touch them.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels