Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 16:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Next month Hi-Fi+

Next month Hi-Fi+
2017-03-29, 11:51
RE: Next month Hi-Fi+
(2017-03-29 10:54)Martin H Wrote:  
(2017-03-29 10:25)Komri Wrote:  Hope the system review is similar to that which Martin Colloms did for Hifi Critic a few years ago ie. he had the system at home for a long period and was able to get a measure of its use and performance. Alan Sircom reviewed the Klimax DS/3 last Autumn largely from a listening session at Linn HQ which from a review point left much to be desired. From HiFi+ staff, I'd be more interested to hear Roy Gregory's take on it.

Unless he is still listening and writing as we post I suspect it's more likely to be another listening session job but I agree with you. Thinking about it - how likely is it that they would ship 50-60k's worth of gear of that size to someone's private address?

It's been done in other reviews-see Martin Colloms' review above.

Fidelity UA4 alumnus. Exakt skeptik.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-29, 11:58
When I clicked the link it took me to the app store. The 2nd mag in the list had a headline "B&W 803 D3 leads our quest to hifi excellence" . I thought that one is interesting.... The 350..... dont really care a lot. Wrong approach in speaker design needs lots of electronics to sound good. A bit of dissappointment on my side , had hoped for Linn to come with a new top end speaker. Only good I had not waited too long and jumped on the 803s.

KK/1/D, KDS/3, 2xKCTs/D into B&W 803 D3, Oppo 105, QNAP 439 Pro II
Find all posts by this user
2017-03-30, 10:28
(2017-03-29 11:49)Tin Wrote:  Let's find out.

@Linn; hereby I volunteer to accept 50-60k worth of Linn equipment to be sent to my house.

@Martin-H; when can we expect your review?

And when could we expect it back? I imagine for a true and proper listening session you will need a decent amount of time - say 5 years? Big Grin

Just as an FYI, the review is by Alan Sircom. Smile

That Linn marketing guy.
2017-03-30, 10:51
(2017-03-30 10:28)craigb Wrote:  

@Linn; hereby I volunteer to accept 50-60k worth of Linn equipment to be sent to my house.

And when could we expect it back? I imagine for a true and proper listening session you will need a decent amount of time - say 5 years? Big Grin

Craig, I suspect that you can answer the question rather than us guess. Was the review based on AS having the kit at home/office over a period of time or was it a prolonged session(s) at Linn premises/home?

Komri - I looked at that article but couldn't spot where it says that he had the system for a period of time. Maybe I missed it, or maybe it was promoted like that elsewhere?
2017-03-30, 19:47
Article not published until next month saw it when I read the current publication with the taster of what to expect next month

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2017-03-30, 22:23
(2017-03-30 10:51)Martin H Wrote:  Komri - I looked at that article but couldn't spot where it says that he had the system for a period of time. Maybe I missed it, or maybe it was promoted like that elsewhere?

Martin it was just Martin Colloms' review of the Klimax 350 system made a couple or so years ago which was an extended home trial.
I'll have to dig out my original to find you chapter and verse but it's there.

Fidelity UA4 alumnus. Exakt skeptik.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-03-31, 00:04
(2017-03-30 22:23)Komri Wrote:  
(2017-03-30 10:51)Martin H Wrote:  Komri - I looked at that article but couldn't spot where it says that he had the system for a period of time. Maybe I missed it, or maybe it was promoted like that elsewhere?

Martin it was just Martin Colloms' review of the Klimax 350 system made a couple or so years ago which was an extended home trial.
I'll have to dig out my original to find you chapter and verse but it's there.

Ok thx. No need to dig it out though. I agree it is the best way to get a quality review. Fingers crossed.
2017-03-31, 08:44
(2017-03-30 10:28)craigb Wrote:  

I was going for 10, as good testing beats decent testing, but I'll settle for 5. Wink

I only need a pair of 350s and an Exaktbox sub mind you, my ADSM will perform fine and I'll buy an Oppo myself. I don't want to look greedy. Wink

Tin can telephone system.
2017-03-31, 09:28
(2017-03-30 10:51)Martin H Wrote:  Craig, I suspect that you can answer the question rather than us guess. Was the review based on AS having the kit at home/office over a period of time or was it a prolonged session(s) at Linn premises/home?

We had Alan up here in Glasgow.

We started off with a listen of the previous version of the system and ran through his choice of tracks so that he was 'attuned' to the room.

He then spent almost a full day listening to the new Klimax System (Klimax Exakt DSM & Klimax 350 speakers), carrying out A/Bs with the old system (minus Katalyst).

As a side note, one of the things we have constantly fed back to us, and I must agree personally (and not because I'm a Linn employee), is that the difference the Katalyst upgrade makes to the Klimax System is immediate, akin to taking a punch in the face from Mike Tyson.

Extensive listening is always nice but the Katalyst upgrade isn't a minor update merely highlighting subtle nuances, it's a full step up in performance that is recognisably more musical from the very first note.

That Linn marketing guy.
2017-03-31, 10:08
(2017-03-31 09:28)craigb Wrote:  
(2017-03-30 10:51)Martin H Wrote:  Craig, I suspect that you can answer the question rather than us guess. Was the review based on AS having the kit at home/office over a period of time or was it a prolonged session(s) at Linn premises/home?

We had Alan up here in Glasgow.

We started off with a listen of the previous version of the system and ran through his choice of tracks so that he was 'attuned' to the room.

He then spent almost a full day listening to the new Klimax System (Klimax Exakt DSM & Klimax 350 speakers), carrying out A/Bs with the old system (minus Katalyst).

As a side note, one of the things we have constantly fed back to us, and I must agree personally (and not because I'm a Linn employee), is that the difference the Katalyst upgrade makes to the Klimax System is immediate, akin to taking a punch in the face from Mike Tyson.

Extensive listening is always nice but the Katalyst upgrade isn't a minor update merely highlighting subtle nuances, it's a full step up in performance that is recognisably more musical from the very first note.

I have to agree. I had completed the comparison of the Klimax non-Exakt a couple of times and it was significant and very obvious. The Katalyst upgrade to the 350s (I have heard 'before and after' twice now) is ...... errr, I think the correct term is gobsmacking Smile can't blame him for stretching out for the whole day though.

Thanks for confirming.