Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 21:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Next month Hi-Fi+

Next month Hi-Fi+
2017-03-31, 11:34
RE: Next month Hi-Fi+
I don't want to be punched in the face by anyone, let alone Tyson. Could he at least use a feather pillow? Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-31, 11:49
Don't worry, only the first hit hurts a little. After that it is just blissful ignorance.
And bliss is what we're aiming for, right?

Tin can telephone system.
Find all posts by this user
2017-03-31, 15:03
(2017-03-31 09:28)craigb Wrote:  
(2017-03-30 10:51)Martin H Wrote:  Craig, I suspect that you can answer the question rather than us guess. Was the review based on AS having the kit at home/office over a period of time or was it a prolonged session(s) at Linn premises/home?

We had Alan up here in Glasgow.

We started off with a listen of the previous version of the system and ran through his choice of tracks so that he was 'attuned' to the room.

He then spent almost a full day listening to the new Klimax System (Klimax Exakt DSM & Klimax 350 speakers), carrying out A/Bs with the old system (minus Katalyst).

As a side note, one of the things we have constantly fed back to us, and I must agree personally (and not because I'm a Linn employee), is that the difference the Katalyst upgrade makes to the Klimax System is immediate, akin to taking a punch in the face from Mike Tyson.

Extensive listening is always nice but the Katalyst upgrade isn't a minor update merely highlighting subtle nuances, it's a full step up in performance that is recognisably more musical from the very first note.

Craig I take it you have taken a punch in the face from Mike Tyson to verify this Big Grin
Bt I agree

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2017-03-31, 15:40
(2017-03-30 10:51)Martin H Wrote:  Craig, I suspect that you can answer the question rather than us guess. Was the review based on AS having the kit at home/office over a period of time or was it a prolonged session(s) at Linn premises/home?

We started off with a listen of the previous version of the system and ran through his choice of tracks so that he was 'attuned' to the room.

He then spent almost a full day listening to the new Klimax System (Klimax Exakt DSM & Klimax 350 speakers), carrying out A/Bs with the old system (minus Katalyst).
>>

That's a pity. Whilst we all would like a positive review, such HQ based reviews lose the value of familiarity and context of the reviewer's reference system. A comparison with another unfamiliar system is not the same. Similarly time constraints of even a full day's listening do not compare with living with a system for weeks or longer.

Fidelity UA4 alumnus. Exakt skeptik.
2017-04-20, 14:08
Is the review out by now? Has anybody seen it?
2017-04-20, 14:57
(2017-03-31 15:40)Komri Wrote:  

>>

That's a pity. Whilst we all would like a positive review, such HQ based reviews lose the value of familiarity and context of the reviewer's reference system. A comparison with another unfamiliar system is not the same. Similarly time constraints of even a full day's listening do not compare with living with a system for weeks or longer.

Ideally, the reviewer would be able to audition the system in their home, but it would be quite a lot of work to do a listening session, then swap out the 350's Exakt modules for Exakt Katalyst modules and then try to remember what you have heard.

The other factor is that if the reviewer is not familiar with setting up SPACE optimization, it may not give the full potential of the sound quality of the systems, if not set up properly.

With the reviewer coming to Linn headquarters, that variable can be controlled better, IMHO.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-04-20, 15:25
The magazine is released beginning of May

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2017-04-26, 16:49
It's out today. Just received my subscription copy. Will read it later when I have more time.

2017-04-27, 04:33
Wow the review is everthing and more to say he liked the system is putting it mildly
Essentially discussion of the impressive nature of Katalyst option but a huge endorsement of Linn and its place in audiophile nirvana

Exakt 5.1
2017-04-27, 10:01
(2017-04-27 04:33)nrwatson Wrote:  Wow the review is everthing and more to say he liked the system is putting it mildly
Essentially discussion of the impressive nature of Katalyst option but a huge endorsement of Linn and its place in audiophile nirvana

I would agree with most of this assessment although I found the review somewhat enclosed(as are most reviews of Linn), lacking any comparative context with the wider audio firmament. Whilst praise was high indeed for Katalyst in comparison to Sircom's previous experience of the DS/3 I felt it was made within its own audio framework. Saying as he does that it asks questions about what we want from a good system, he leaves this same question unelaborated and hanging.
Sircom also did little to try to pinpoint the sound of the system using meaningless phrases such as:
"authentic sense of the amount of work and practice and musical skill that went into making the performance" That's just cheap, unverifiable padding.
Still it's good copy for Linn.