Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Hercules, very quiet hum @ 45

Hercules, very quiet hum @ 45
2017-04-08, 14:01 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-08 14:16 by Moses.)
RE: Hercules, very quiet hum @ 45
(2017-04-08 13:46)allthingsanalogue Wrote:  
(2017-04-08 13:40)bettermusic Wrote:  
(2017-04-08 13:28)allthingsanalogue Wrote:  
(2017-04-08 12:19)bettermusic Wrote:  The hum is not because the motor is being driven outside the 60hz range. A Lingo will drive it with the same frequency for 45rpm and the motors don't hum with a Lingo. All Lingo supplies require the 21mm motor pulley.

Faulty Hercules then? As it's dead silent at 33. If you touch the pulley on 45 without a belt on it just stops but continues to vibrate.

The Lingo and Axis are the same way, (except there is no hum) at 45rpm they require the platter to be on or it just stops when the circuit goes to low voltage or if you touch the pulley. These circuits both reduce the voltage to the motor once up to speed as this reduces the motor noise and they need the platter inertia to keep going. Could be the Hercules doesn't provide quite enough torque at 45rpm or the sinewave at 45rpm isn't quite as clean. I've had a few Hercules supplies in here but don't recall the 45rpm behaviour. Maybe some Hercules users could chime in here and tell us if they get a similar hum on 45rpm.

Thanks Gary.

I've now put myself on the list for a Lingo 2 with Cymbiosis, unless I decide to buy a brand new Lingo 3Big Grin
I would ask Cymbiosis if they have a Ex Dem Lingo 3?
If you don't want to wait for a 2 to turn up?
I bought a Ex Dem Lingo 2 from them many years ago and saved a few quid.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-08, 14:14
(2017-04-08 13:46)allthingsanalogue Wrote:  
(2017-04-08 12:19)bettermusic Wrote:  The hum is not because the motor is being driven outside the 60hz range. A Lingo will drive it with the same frequency for 45rpm and the motors don't hum with a Lingo. All Lingo supplies require the 21mm motor pulley.

Faulty Hercules then? As it's dead silent at 33. If you touch the pulley on 45 without a belt on it just stops but continues to vibrate.

The Lingo and Axis are the same way, (except there is no hum) at 45rpm they require the platter to be on or it just stops when the circuit goes to low voltage or if you touch the pulley. These circuits both reduce the voltage to the motor once up to speed as this reduces the motor noise and they need the platter inertia to keep going. Could be the Hercules doesn't provide quite enough torque at 45rpm or the sinewave at 45rpm isn't quite as clean. I've had a few Hercules supplies in here but don't recall the 45rpm behaviour. Maybe some Hercules users could chime in here and tell us if they get a similar hum on 45rpm.

Thanks Gary.

I've now put myself on the list for a Lingo 2 with Cymbiosis, unless I decide to buy a brand new Lingo 3Big Grin

That will be a really nice upgrade!

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-04-08, 15:31 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-08 15:48 by Moses.)
Allthings,
Just incase you haven't already ?
If you have a preference ?
Make sure you stipulate what colour Lingo 2 box you want.
Silver or Black.
2017-04-09, 20:18

My Hercules does not hum on 45rpm. Perhaps a weak motor or a rattling topplate?
2017-04-09, 21:54
Neither does mine, never has in years.
DD

Sondek, Hammond, Leslie, Rhodes and Moog.
2017-04-10, 00:50
I have not connected my Mose Herc II PSU yet as I'm rebuilding my table from scratch but I have questioned a friend with one & he does not experience motor noise/hum at 45 RPM.
2017-04-10, 01:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-10 01:30 by Edmund.)
Well, I just conduct a little test before writing this message.

We missed the crucial point, how old is the motor?

The question is there are many vintage Sondel LP12 running, some AC synchronous motors are over 35 years.

I tested a vintage motor about 30 years old, yes, it did a little wobbling at 45 rpm, 33.3 is very quiet.

Then I tested a brand new Sondek Linn LP12 motor from Linn dealer, it is quiet at both 33.3 and 45 rpm.

Both motors are being driven by the same Hercules board.

If you have the earliest type AC motor with a big cap, the grease dried up and became a friction to the motor, a very good writing from our member in this forum.

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=10584
2017-04-10, 02:00 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-10 02:40 by Edmund.)

Lingo has one PTC (Positive Temperature coefficient resistor, resistance low when cold, vice visa) in series with AC mains, When it is cold starts, the resistance is low, so higher voltage when starting up, around 95 V AC to help motor start spinning easier under the load of a very heavy platter. After few seconds, the PTC resistor temperature going up, so does the resistance, voltage drop to around 65 V AC, certainly less wobbling running at a lower voltage.

The sinewave cleanliness depends on the quality of components being used, especially the output capacitor reproduce the sinewave through charging and discharging process on and on. Power supply board does not provide torque, the motor does. Newer the motor, higher the torque.

Hercules using the top notch components and the output capacitors are Vishay from Netherland. And that kind of capacitors has the life expectancy, if the electrolyte dried up , the output sinewave seriously distorted. For instance , Valhalla, people complaints the Valhalla fired up, because the 3 capacitors are dried up and leakage, so became a low resistance to AC mains and draw higher current to the board. Some Lingo are very old too, hard to believe that 3 capacitors are still healthy like new to reproduce a perfect sinewave . Unless you replace the capacitors with new high quality capacitors.

The photo below shows the output sinewave from Hercules board.

[Image: 06020026.jpg]
2017-04-10, 09:48 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-10 09:51 by allthingsanalogue.)
(2017-04-10 01:18)mooto Wrote:  Well, I just conduct a little test before writing this message.

We missed the crucial point, how old is the motor?

The question is there are many vintage Sondel LP12 running, some AC synchronous motors are over 35 years.

I tested a vintage motor about 30 years old, yes, it did a little wobbling at 45 rpm, 33.3 is very quiet.

Then I tested a brand new Sondek Linn LP12 motor from Linn dealer, it is quiet at both 33.3 and 45 rpm.

Both motors are being driven by the same Hercules board.

If you have the earliest type AC motor with a big cap, the grease dried up and became a friction to the motor, a very good writing from our member in this forum.

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=10584

Hello

The deck and psu was brand new last March.

I'll get in touch with my dealer.
2017-04-10, 10:01 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-10 10:03 by allthingsanalogue.)
Thanks for everyones input,

Now I know it's not normal I've asked to try another psu first.