Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 01:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Linn Events v / Record Store Day

Record Store Day
2017-04-10, 19:22
Record Store Day
Record Store Day

Just a reminder for those interested.

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-10, 21:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-10 21:49 by Moses.)
RE: Record Store Day
grim,
Myself Paul Weller and lots of other artists and bands lost faith with RSD years ago.
Like many things, It started off as a good thing but got polluted and corrupted years ago by people not interested in music just trying to make money out of it.Rolleyes
Its become its own worst enemy with all the special limited editions.
Before the record shop doors open around the world you see the Records on well known auction sites going for silly money.
People getting paid to stand in line over night outside shops with lists by dealer scum just like concert ticket touts.
Safe to say RSD holds no interest from me whats so ever.
2017-04-10, 22:00
While i'm at it Pledge music is another that started off as a good thing for people with little money to get music out there.
The bum got ripped out of that with artists and bands that have loads of money taking the pish.Rolleyes
2017-04-11, 00:21
I hear you'll be able to buy special edition cassettes this year too - get queuing, you'll be able to feature on the forum background...

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-04-11, 04:07
If you have a cassette deck that needs feeding ?
This brilliant album is available on cassette [Image: 81DzLf2jjcL._SL1200_.jpg]
2017-04-11, 11:42
(2017-04-10 21:45)Moses Wrote:  grim,
Myself Paul Weller and lots of other artists and bands lost faith with RSD years ago.
Like many things, It started off as a good thing but got polluted and corrupted years ago by people not interested in music just trying to make money out of it.Rolleyes
Before the record shop doors open around the world you see the Records on well known auction sites going for silly money.
People getting paid to stand in line over night outside shops with lists by dealer scum just like concert ticket touts.

Each to there own. Over the years, I have been to Piccadilly Records in Manchester and got a number of items that I have been very pleased with. Others may be disappointed and some, as you indicate simply use it as a money making activity (though I have never been sure what, if legal, is wrong with making money).

Some may be interested, which is why I posted, some may not. That is their opinion.

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
2017-04-12, 09:44 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-12 09:48 by Fitter Stoke.)
(2017-04-10 21:45)Moses Wrote:  grim,

I share your reservations, though I doubt that most independent record shops would agree that RSD is its own worst enemy given the increased revenue they receive from it every year. Unfortunately the patronage of those of us who frequent those shops throughout the year isn't usually sufficient to keep them open long term, and RSD for all its shortcomings (and my, has it some shortcomings) does give them a serious business boost. For that alone it should be tolerated even if, like me, you choose to steer well clear of it.

My own main gripe with RSD is the high cost of the records by the shops themselves, never mind the touts. £10+ for 7" singles and £25+ for LPs is the norm, with many priced even higher than that. I still reel at the £16 I stupidly handed over for a pink vinyl copy of "See Emily Play" several years back. That, coupled with hours of wasted time queuing for titles that had sold out, been held back by store staff for themselves, or never even stocked in the first place, led me to give RSD a wide berth thereafter. My choice.

My life hasn't suffered. In fact, many RSD releases I desired in past years remained in the racks of my local shops for months afterwards. I bought some of them at reduced prices as a result.

This year the only thing that really appeals to me in the link kindly provided by Grim is that Bowie triple live album from 1974. However, even if I was "lucky" enough to find one, I doubt I'd want it enough to shell out the £70 plus that the shops will be charging for it based upon past form. Again, my choice. Others will have different priorities, and as always with things like this, the laws of supply and demand apply.

KDS/3 - KK/1 - KCT/1 - SME 20/12 with V/12 - Krystal - Uphorik - Sugden Masterclass PDT-1 - Akudoriks
2017-04-13, 20:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-13 20:26 by pdcman.)
What's happened to Moses? Why did he get banned??
2017-04-14, 11:48
(2017-04-13 20:12)pdcman Wrote:  What's happened to Moses? Why did he get banned??
It's only a guess, but he had a similar writing style to a previously banned member, who was prolific, especially in recommending music.

Oak LP12_Lingo1_Kore_Ittok III_nude Akiva | Unidisk 1.1/d | AKtuner
KK/2_AKontrol/0/d_KCT/d {Lejonklou K-200} 212 | 2250/d - 225 | AV5105 - Tukan | Sizmik 10.25 | Intersekt R4S5 | Isol-8 MiniSub Wave {Silvers}
+Technics SL1210s | Urei 1620 | Nakamichi System One | AV5125/d - Katan (Aktiv) | Roomamp 2i
2017-04-14, 12:15
(2017-04-14 11:48)moog_man Wrote:  
(2017-04-13 20:12)pdcman Wrote:  What's happened to Moses? Why did he get banned??
It's only a guess, but he had a similar writing style to a previously banned member, who was prolific, especially in recommending music.

Ahh. Big GrinBig Grin Wet brown dirt and a walking aid implement?