Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-04-24, 00:26 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Phono issues after software upgrade

Post Reply 
Phono issues after software upgrade
2017-04-16, 19:26
Post: #1
Phono issues after software upgrade
I am using an Akurate DSM/1, and have recently upgraded the software to 4.55.172. I am using neither Exakt nor Space Optimisation; I am running Silvers to an A4200 that is passively bi-amping a pair of AV5140 speakers. Playlist and Radio sources function normally, but the Phono source has an intermittent problem -- severe distortion occurs in the right channel, whilst the left channel produces much lower output with no distortion. I am using a moving magnet cartridge (Linn K18II).

I tried swapping out the DSM for an older preamp, and phono playback was normal. When I reinstalled the DSM, the problem recurred. I restored factory defaults, reconfigured the DSM, and tried again -- still, the problem persisted. I switched briefly to another source to confirm that the DSM was functioning normally with that source, and indeed it was. When I switched back to Phono, the distortion had disappeared; all was well again.

For a few weeks.

The problem returned within the last few days. I had played one side of a record without any issues, but when I flipped it over to play the 2nd side, playback was distorted as before. To confirm that the problem was not related to an intermittent turntable/arm/cartridge issue, I reversed the L/R connectors from the tonearm to the DSM -- the distortion persisted in the right channel as before. I changed the L/R phono connectors to the DSM again, confirmed that the distortion was present on the right side only, and then miraculously, the distortion disappeared midway through the selection being played.

The Volume Offset, Input Level, and Digital Features options in Konfig do not affect the problem. I suspect that if I revert to 4.54.135 the problem with disappear. However, I am curious as to whether anyone else is experiencing this problem, and whether the problem occurs with both moving magnet and moving coil cartridges.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-20, 19:43
Post: #2
RE: Phono issues after software upgrade
Hi Richard,

I have almost the same configuration but no problem like yours.

To me it looks like a spurious hardware problem that is not related to the sw update. As the phono preamp is a separate module hooked to the main board I would suggest to open the ADSM and check if the phono board is correctly fitted and/or the contacts are ok. It might be worth unmounting and remounting the module. Contact your dealer if you are not familiar with electronic stuff.

ADSM/0, NAD Masters M22, KEF R700
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-21, 12:54
Post: #3
RE: Phono issues after software upgrade
Thank you for your suggestion, Hagen. I recall having to rotate the phono board to engage the MM stage when I first purchased the unit almost two years ago, as it came from the factory configured for moving coil. I will unmount and remount as you suggest to ensure that proper contact is being made. Since the issue is so intermittent, it may take awhile to confirm if this was, in fact, the source of the problem. Nonetheless, I shall report back in due course.

Thanks again!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)