Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:25 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Fitting a sKale into Ittok w. nude Akiva

Fitting a sKale into Ittok w. nude Akiva
2017-04-25, 17:42
Fitting a sKale into Ittok w. nude Akiva
hello All,
I recently purchased a sKale for my Ittok III. It is fitted with a de-shelled Akiva, which is consequently quite a bit lighter. The existing counterweight seems fine, although extremely close to the main bearing house - I'd like to see if the Tiger Paw can bring anything new to the party Cool
That said, I'm somewhat nervous about fitting it; no instructions were supplied. How exactly should the orange rubber rings be inserted within the counterweight, for example. Is there a particular method to fitting the sKale onto the arm. Is there any advantage attaching the extra weights, given the Akiva is lighter than usual? Etc.

Also. Prof Peter has indicated:
(2014-11-13 12:44)Cymbiosis Wrote:  As for the Tiger Paw Skale, you all know that I'm a major advocate of the scale for Ittok, Ekos, Ekos Se, Aro and Roksan Nima. Mass adjustable and lowered COG all works well if correctly set up.

Setting enough load on the Linn arms rotary force dial to keep the spring tensioned, and then applying the remainder of the weight by re-positioning the back weight nearer the fulcrum, and using an external force gauge to achieve the correct overall stylus force, is another way and it also works well plus it costs nothing!

The deck's suspension will require a small adjustment to allow for the greater mass of any heavier counterweights used acting upon it.

How "small" an adjustment? Another trip to a dealer ?

Your considered thoughts appreciated...

Fluted Oak LP12_Keel_Lingo 4_Ittok III_Akiva_Linto | Oppo UDP-205 | Ak Tuner
KK/2_KCT/d {Lejonklou K-200} Ak 212 | 2250/d - Ak 225 | AV5105 - Tukan | Sizmik 10.25 | Intersekt R4S5 | Isol-8 MiniSub Wave {Silvers}
+Technics SL1210s | Urei 1620 | Nakamichi System One | AV5125/d - Katan (Aktiv) | Roomamp 2i
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-26, 10:32
RE: Fitting a sKale into Ittok w. nude Akiva
I used to run a 'nude' Akiva for a while. I honestly can't remember what weights were used, but to be fair this was with an Ekos SE and Ekos, so I'd imagine it would be slightly different to the Ittok anyway. I would not expect you to have to make a suspension adjustment as the additional 20 or 30 gm of mass (if used) as a percentage of the overall mass of the platters, sub chassis and arm is a very small fraction. Of course it is positioned a long way from the centre of mass so it will have more effect but even so it should be OK and no adjustment will be necessary.

If you drop me an email I will be happy to send over some set up instructions.
2017-04-26, 11:21
A friend of mine tried a sKale on his Ekos SE with naked Akiva a few years ago.
He found the SE's weight got as close as possible so didn't need the sKale.
I can't comment on the Ittok with naked Akiva.
2017-04-26, 11:49 (This post was last modified: 2017-04-26 11:49 by moog_man.)
Thanks, Both
I'll weigh the Ittok counterweight later - maybe we could start from there...

KK/2_KCT/d {Lejonklou K-200} Ak 212 | 2250/d - Ak 225 | AV5105 - Tukan | Sizmik 10.25 | Intersekt R4S5 | Isol-8 MiniSub Wave {Silvers}
+Technics SL1210s | Urei 1620 | Nakamichi System One | AV5125/d - Katan (Aktiv) | Roomamp 2i
2017-04-26, 12:16
MM,
Do you have a decent set of cartridge/stylus scales?
I have never seen a Ittok yet thats accurate.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/stylus-...auges.html
2017-05-18, 00:08
Is there an instruction sheet to fitting the sKale, please. Alternatively, would anyone like to offer their tips - I'm nervous to mess this up !

Disappointed with the production quality... broke the seal today and the counterweight is marked in four places Sad

2017-05-18, 14:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-05-18 14:16 by Cymbiosis.)
(2017-04-25 17:42)moog_man Wrote:  hello All,
I recently purchased a sKale for my Ittok III. It is fitted with a de-shelled Akiva, which is consequently quite a bit lighter. The existing counterweight seems fine, although extremely close to the main bearing house

Also. Prof Peter has indicated:
(2014-11-13 12:44)Cymbiosis Wrote:  As for the Tiger Paw Skale,

The deck's suspension will require a small adjustment to allow for the greater mass of any heavier counterweights used acting upon it.

How "small" an adjustment? Another trip to a dealer ?

Your considered thoughts appreciated...

You will not need any of the extra mass rings for the Skale in this situation (the rings are meant for heavy cartridges- Not nude Akivas) as the basic Skale is very close in weight when compared to the later Ittok counterweight so in theory for you, no need for suspension adjustments.

Re; marks on counterweight, please refer to your dealer directly or Tiger Paw. Or if you wish just post a picture here and I'll take a look.

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980 and member here since 2008
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user