Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-22, 21:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Linn Events v / Munich High End Show. May 2017

Munich High End Show. May 2017
2017-05-20, 08:59
RE: Munich High End Show. May 2017
Linn was there for the last time in 2014. They had a very small booth down in one of the exhibition halls showing just a LP12 and an Exakt ADSM plus speakers. When I recall their presence I believe it is a good move to stay home in Scotland. To me they either need to invest in a larger booth upstairs in the auditorium like Devialet, Burmester, T+A, Elac, Quadral, Naim, McIntosh (just to name a few) did or they should keep staying away. Obviously Linn came to the same conclusion for 2015 and the following years...

In that particular year I was seeking for a new Hfi Systems and I was very disappointed by their presence and Demo. And it just did not sound good. And I'm quite sure it was due to the cheap and small booth with thin walls and a lot of surrounding noise in one of the exhibition halls. They even referred for a Kiko Demo to one of the steaming services that were also present.

If they ever should decided to come back to Munich they have to have a presence in the atrium outside the exhibition halls.

Thomas

Electronics: Linn Akurate DSM | 2x Linn Akurate 2200 | T+A CD2000 AC | T+A P2000 AC | T+A A2000 AC | Marantz NR1604
Loudspeaker: I.Q Trend 3 | Elac 310 CE | Elac Sub 2030
NAS: Synology DS1512+
Media Server: Synology MediaServer | MinimServer
Network: AVM Fritz!Box 7490 | AVM Fritz!Box 7390 | 3x Cisco SG300-10
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-05-20, 11:12
(2017-05-20 08:59)at021971 Wrote:  Linn was there for the last time in 2014. They had a very small booth down in one of the exhibition halls showing just a LP12 and an Exakt ADSM plus speakers. When I recall their presence I believe it is a good move to stay home in Scotland. To me they either need to invest in a larger booth upstairs in the auditorium like Devialet, Burmester, T+A, Elac, Quadral, Naim, McIntosh (just to name a few) did or they should keep staying away. Obviously Linn came to the same conclusion for 2015 and the following years...

In that particular year I was seeking for a new Hfi Systems and I was very disappointed by their presence and Demo. And it just did not sound good. And I'm quite sure it was due to the cheap and small booth with thin walls and a lot of surrounding noise in one of the exhibition halls. They even referred for a Kiko Demo to one of the steaming services that were also present.

If they ever should decided to come back to Munich they have to have a presence in the atrium outside the exhibition halls.

Thomas

I think Linn some time ago realised that Demo's at Hi Fi shows were somewhat counterproductive. It is almost impossible to adhere to the Linn Demo principles at these shows. In years gone by, Linn had some large Demo rooms at shows that were well set up, but even then lots of people milling around and talking did not show Linn Products at their best. They did try having set Demos with people getting Tickets to reserve a seat at them. Usually the seats were filled by Linnites anyway so it was preaching to the converted.

Nobody casually buys Linn Products and the only way to have things Demo'd properly is at a Linn Dealers.

In the 70's and 80's most Demo's by manufacturers used an LP12's (pre CD days of course) and I think that was more likely to introduce people to Linn Products.

Shows can be fun, but are more visual experiences rather than audio experiences. Certainly shows in "Hotel Bedrooms" are very "restrictive". They can be useful for peripheral equipment, such as RCM's, Racking Systems etc.etc., rather than reproductive equipment (not sure I can say that Rolleyes ).

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
2017-05-20, 12:38 (This post was last modified: 2017-05-20 12:41 by sunbeamgls.)
The proper dem rooms at Munich are rather good. SPACE should sort anything else out.
There are some very good sounding systems at this show. The rooms are no excuse.
Using a booth on the Hall floor is no way to approach this show - it makes you look like a bit player or a start up.
If Kudos can afford a full size demo room, I'm sure Linn could.
This is more than a hifi show, its the European industry event.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-05-20, 14:22
I think the question really is what the kind of public is that comes to Munich.
I can't answer that question but when watching the pictures that SunbeamGLS made, for me it looks more like a SciFi convention than a music thing.

For Linn only potential new customers could be a valid reason to come over, and I doubt that there will be many of those in Munich. There will probably be plenty of seasoned Linn owners and even more people who are wowed by all the shiny stuff, but a lot of people who prefer understated esthetics and have not ever heard of Linn? I doubt it.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-05-20, 18:48
(2017-05-20 14:22)Tin Wrote:  For Linn only potential new customers could be a valid reason to come over, and I doubt that there will be many of those in Munich. There will probably be plenty of seasoned Linn owners and even more people who are wowed by all the shiny stuff, but a lot of people who prefer understated esthetics and have not ever heard of Linn? I doubt it.

Did you miss the bit about it being the European industry event Tin? Its only partially about punters coming through the door - its more about distributors, press and dealers communing together. Perhaps some brands expect the mountain to come to Mohammed?

Many of the punters will be happy to pay their 14 Euros per day just to be able to have a listen to the stuff on offer and are unlikely to ever afford it, but brand awareness has great value. Also, look more closely and you'll see some tasteful gear in there, amongst the bling and cable lifters.

One brand there was having discussions with a customer last year who has consequently placed an order for 5 pairs of speakers. At 440k per pair. I'm not sure how any European manufacturer can afford not to be at that kind of event.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
2017-05-20, 19:10
Days 2 and 3 pictures now posted.

For any of you who know ukandrewf, you'll realise just how big some of the speakers are...

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk/...ays-2.html

2017-05-20, 20:03
As I can see from your pictures you made the right choice for having a beer. The Augstiner beer is the best you can get when visiting Munich. 'Augustiner Bräu' is the oldest existing brewery in Munich (founded 1328).

By the way Hofbräu (founded 1589) is of cause the most famous Bavaria brewery and known all over the world but it is by far not the best.

If you prefer a pale lager you should go for 'Augustiner Edelstoff' instead of the normal 'Augustiner Lagerbier Hell' = 'Helles'. Alternatively you could give a wheat beer 'Augustiner Weissbier' a try. If I had a choice I would prefer the latter one.

Thomas

Electronics: Linn Akurate DSM | 2x Linn Akurate 2200 | T+A CD2000 AC | T+A P2000 AC | T+A A2000 AC | Marantz NR1604
Loudspeaker: I.Q Trend 3 | Elac 310 CE | Elac Sub 2030
NAS: Synology DS1512+
Media Server: Synology MediaServer | MinimServer
Network: AVM Fritz!Box 7490 | AVM Fritz!Box 7390 | 3x Cisco SG300-10
2017-05-20, 23:11
Sunbeam - having gone through the latest photos I am thinking the 350s could be reclassified as bookshelf speakers now then by comparison.

There is one half of my brain that is really keen to hear what some of them sound like but the other half is very scared, just in case they sound amazing.
2017-05-20, 23:35
(2017-05-20 23:11)Martin H Wrote:  Sunbeam - having gone through the latest photos I am thinking the 350s could be reclassified as bookshelf speakers now then by comparison.

There is one half of my brain that is really keen to hear what some of them sound like but the other half is very scared, just in case they sound amazing.

You have very little to fear Martin

2017-05-22, 11:47
What Linn is showing on the show?

Akurate LP12 + Akubarik Exakt