Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-12, 09:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Akudorik and Akubarik Exakt with Katalyst!

Akudorik and Akubarik Exakt with Katalyst!
2017-10-06, 19:02
RE: Akudorik and Akubarik Exakt with Katalyst!
Sounds very nice Jeff. Really hope the katalyzed Akurate exaktboxes will arrive sooner than later...

ADSM, A Exaktbox 10, A4200*2+A2200, Akubarik, Harmoni rack, LS NAS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-06, 20:18
(2017-10-06 19:02)Linncredible Wrote:  Sounds very nice Jeff. Really hope the katalyzed Akurate exaktboxes will arrive sooner than later...

Yes, hopefully they'll come out soon. It's quite a bit better. Jeff

KDSM/1, KLP12, Exakt/k Dorik Stands, Exaktbox Sub, 212s v.1, 221, Audience AR6
2017-10-13, 09:03
(2017-10-06 18:55)Jeff R Wrote:  As for Katalyst Doriks using my 212s, I'm happy I ordered the upgrade. While my units are not entirely burnt in, I can offer this... the upgrade is - very - worthwhile. I'm primarily a vinyl guy and that's always my go to reference. For the last week, I've been steaming exclusively from my NAS. Digital with Katalyst is far more organic. There's more detail, yes, but in the end, the digital I'm streaming is coming closer to my KLP12. My overall impression is that Katalyst digital is approaching the more refined analog realm; it sounds more lifelike and real. I'll listen to some vinyl this weekend as well and report on the improvement. Jeff

Hi Jeff

Any thoughts on vinyl via your Katadoriks? I agree that digital is rendered more organic by Katalyst (for me via Katabariks), but IMO vinyl still has the edge.

vincent

LP12 (Klimax Radikal/Urika, Keel, Chord SSA, Ekos SE, Lyra Kleos; TP Vulkan, Khan, TranQ, Skale); Klimax Exakt DSM, Exakt Akubariks.
2017-10-13, 14:13
My sound preference is vinyl. I’ve been able to spin a few LPs after the Katalyst upgrade. Yes, I believe it’s better. I hear better positioning of the instruments and a little more detail. That said, the larger improvement comes with streaming straight digital. The LP 12 is definitely better, but my rips have never sounded this good. Jeff

2017-10-18, 19:42 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-18 19:46 by Jeff R.)
I have concluded after several days of listening... whatever Katalyst is doing with my rips, it sounds substantially better. I can say that for sure. On the other hand, after the upgrade, I'm now questioning if my vinyl is better sounding or not. After a solid week of listening (some days quite a bit) the vinyl has been a toss up with some of my rips (it wasn't like this before, vinyl pretty much always won out); of course, mastering plays into this, its not apples to apples. The vinyl sounds great, but I have to say the straight digital is giving analog a run for its money. Does anyone know if Linn rejiggered the two chips used for converting analog to digital with the KDSM upgrade to Katalyst? I'm really enjoying the sound of my 212s with the Katalyst Upgrade. Jeff

2017-10-18, 20:13
(2017-10-18 19:42)Jeff R Wrote:  I have concluded after several days of listening... whatever Katalyst is doing with my rips, it sounds substantially better. I can say that for sure. On the other hand, after the upgrade, I'm now questioning if my vinyl is better sounding or not. After a solid week of listening (some days quite a bit) the vinyl has been a toss up with some of my rips (it wasn't like this before, vinyl pretty much always won out); of course, mastering plays into this, its not apples to apples. The vinyl sounds great, but I have to say the straight digital is giving analog a run for its money. Does anyone know if Linn rejiggered the two chips used for converting analog to digital with the KDSM upgrade to Katalyst? I'm really enjoying the sound of my 212s with the Katalyst Upgrade. Jeff

Great report Jeff, thanks.

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-10-18, 20:48
(2017-10-18 19:42)Jeff R Wrote:  I have concluded after several days of listening... whatever Katalyst is doing with my rips, it sounds substantially better. I can say that for sure. On the other hand, after the upgrade, I'm now questioning if my vinyl is better sounding or not. After a solid week of listening (some days quite a bit) the vinyl has been a toss up with some of my rips (it wasn't like this before, vinyl pretty much always won out); of course, mastering plays into this, its not apples to apples. The vinyl sounds great, but I have to say the straight digital is giving analog a run for its money. Does anyone know if Linn rejiggered the two chips used for converting analog to digital with the KDSM upgrade to Katalyst? I'm really enjoying the sound of my 212s with the Katalyst Upgrade. Jeff

The story seems to be no update to ADC.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-10-18, 21:57
My guess would be different digital filters and better power-supply.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-10-19, 00:40
Interesting... no change to the ADC. I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying straight digital. It’s really good. I was thinking about going back to analog. Nope not on this system.

2017-10-19, 11:22
It’s taken 35 years, but it finally sounds as though “digital” has delivered something near its true potential. Hopefully, this is just the beginnings of a new era in music reproduction too, as Linn develop Katalyst even further and help chip manufacturers to design even better ADC’s and DAC’s. It feels like Katalyst is a fundamental step forward in digital playback which makes the future feel very exciting! No more so than in the very near future when I get my Katalysed Akudoriks back from the factory. I’m really excited, Christmas has come early Smile

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)