Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 03:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Akudorik and Akubarik Exakt with Katalyst!

Akudorik and Akubarik Exakt with Katalyst!
2017-05-25, 14:09
RE: Akudorik and Akubarik Exakt with Katalyst!
I have just been to my dealers and he says things like this aren't announced until after the September 'conference' Linn have with the dealers every year. But he also confirmed that Autumn is the time for AkuKat Smile AkuExaktboxes by end of year too.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-05-25, 16:23
(2017-05-25 08:21)Tin Wrote:  I really prefer taller showers. Short showers only get to my belly button. Wink

And reheating food? Reeeeaaaaally? Eat fresh!

I try!!!

(2017-05-25 10:44)Donald Wrote:  So why does this not appear in the Announcements sub-Forum which is supposed to be for Linn Announcements - Product News, Promotions, Events, Technical Bulletins - or did we all miss this??

We only get to hear about it thanks to helpful Forum member Mongo who noticed it on a Swedish Linn dealers website!

I'm already saving up for my Akurate Exaktbox 10 Katalyst upgrade but hopefully I won't need to be as frugal as Paulssurround!

I have Akubariks and 2 Exaktboxs to upgrade.

So I have to really save up.

Ah yah!!!

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
2017-05-25, 18:03
(2017-05-25 12:50)vincent Wrote:  
(2017-05-25 12:05)DavidHB Wrote:  Secondly, Linn have said that there will be Akurate level Katalyst.
David
Have they? Direct questions on this have tended to be met with a more cautious response ...

I am sure that a statement along the lines of "there will be Akurate Katalyst, but not in the immediate future" was made when Katalyst was launched. In any case I agree with Tin that Linn, like all developers of high end items, are on a product improvement treadmill, and it would be astonishing if the the investment in Katalyst were not put to use throughout the range. The original architecture and DAC chip were first launched in 2007, after all.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-05-25, 20:22
(2017-05-25 18:03)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-05-25 12:50)vincent Wrote:  
(2017-05-25 12:05)DavidHB Wrote:  Secondly, Linn have said that there will be Akurate level Katalyst.
David
Have they? Direct questions on this have tended to be met with a more cautious response ...

I am sure that a statement along the lines of "there will be Akurate Katalyst, but not in the immediate future" was made when Katalyst was launched. In any case I agree with Tin that Linn, like all developers of high end items, are on a product improvement treadmill, and it would be astonishing if the the investment in Katalyst were not put to use throughout the range. The original architecture and DAC chip were first launched in 2007, after all.

David
I'm still worried that you agree with me, but there is now a second worry as well; if I remember correctly you wrote several times that you wouldn't upgrade your setup anymore. Tongue

Tin can telephone system.
2017-05-25, 20:32 (This post was last modified: 2017-05-25 20:34 by sunbeamgls.)
(2017-05-25 12:05)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-05-25 10:44)Donald Wrote:  So why does this not appear in the Announcements sub-Forum which is supposed to be for Linn Announcements - Product News, Promotions, Events, Technical Bulletins - or did we all miss this?? ... We only get to hear about it thanks to helpful Forum member Mongo who noticed it on a Swedish Linn dealers website!

Firstly, the only reasonable working assumption is that it isn't true until Linn themselves say it's true. Secondly, Linn have said that there will be Akurate level Katalyst. Thirdly, there is enough time between now and the autumn for the (unannounced) schedule to slip for one of a myriad of reasons, so Linn's caution and reticence are understandable. Fourthly, marketing people do like to get their ducks in a row before making announcements. ...

All in all, this is interesting noise (and I'm saving up, too), but as yet it's still noise.

David

Yes, this.

(2017-05-25 16:23)Paulssurround Wrote:  
(2017-05-25 08:21)Tin Wrote:  I really prefer taller showers. Short showers only get to my belly button. Wink

And reheating food? Reeeeaaaaally? Eat fresh!

I try!!!

(2017-05-25 10:44)Donald Wrote:  So why does this not appear in the Announcements sub-Forum which is supposed to be for Linn Announcements - Product News, Promotions, Events, Technical Bulletins - or did we all miss this??

We only get to hear about it thanks to helpful Forum member Mongo who noticed it on a Swedish Linn dealers website!

I'm already saving up for my Akurate Exaktbox 10 Katalyst upgrade but hopefully I won't need to be as frugal as Paulssurround!

I have Akubariks and 2 Exaktboxs to upgrade.

So I have to really save up.

Ah yah!!!

Just the one Exaktbox for now Paul, you're Majikally getting ahead of yourself!

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-05-26, 08:19
Soon I will be eating tree skin again.

Akurate LP12 + Akubarik Exakt
2017-05-26, 08:38
(2017-05-26 08:19)1kevin Wrote:  Soon I will be eating tree skin again.
It will do wonders for your bowel movements. Wink

2017-05-26, 09:47
(2017-05-25 20:22)Tin Wrote:  I'm still worried that you agree with me, but there is now a second worry as well; if I remember correctly you wrote several times that you wouldn't upgrade your setup anymore. Tongue

As to my agreeing with you, you'll just have to live with it ... Smile

I have no immediate plans to upgrade my system; I am enjoying it too much. But if Katalyst brings the degree of improvement at the Akurate level that seems to have occurred with the Klimax products, it would be foolish not to try it out. If I do that, I ought at least to have the funds in place for a purchase. So my upgrade intentions are contingent rather than firm.

There is also the fact, that, unlike Paul, I would (I hope) not have as much cash to find as for my two previous upgrades. I have no plans at all to change the amplifiers or the speakers, and I doubt that there would be much point in upgrading the DSM in an Exakt system. So that leaves only the Exaktbox to upgrade. I'm hoping that Linn will follow previous practice where upgrades are concerned. The Exaktbox 10 is currently priced a little lower than the ADSM, for which the upgrade price is currenly, IIRC, £2,700 at UK prices. If Linn follows previous pricing practice, the Exaktbox 10 upgrade cost ought to be in the same ballpark.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-05-26, 10:21
(2017-05-26 09:47)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-05-25 20:22)Tin Wrote:  I'm still worried that you agree with me, but there is now a second worry as well; if I remember correctly you wrote several times that you wouldn't upgrade your setup anymore. Tongue

I have no immediate plans to upgrade my system; I am enjoying it too much. But if Katalyst brings the degree of improvement at the Akurate level that seems to have occurred with the Klimax products, it would be foolish not to try it out. If I do that, I ought at least to have the funds in place for a purchase. So my upgrade intentions are contingent rather than firm.

There is also the fact, that, unlike Paul, I would (I hope) not have as much cash to find as for my two previous upgrades. I have no plans at all to change the amplifiers or the speakers, and I doubt that there would be much point in upgrading the DSM in an Exakt system. So that leaves only the Exaktbox to upgrade. I'm hoping that Linn will follow previous practice where upgrades are concerned. The Exaktbox 10 is currently priced a little lower than the ADSM, for which the upgrade price is currenly, IIRC, £2,700 at UK prices. If Linn follows previous pricing practice, the Exaktbox 10 upgrade cost ought to be in the same ballpark.

David
So it would be a £2500 upgrade with a potential huge effect. I can understand the attraction.

For me the ADSM upgrade would be more logical; I can't afford going Exakt Surround but -if- the ADSM upgrade is huge, it might be worth it. I'll figure that out when the summer is over. If Linn would do an upgrade-majik-amps-to-akurate-summer-sale, that would be attractive for me as well. Wink
Or I might try to find a second sub, see if that is capable of moving the air in my room. That would be worth it as well.

Ah, decisions, decisions...

2017-05-26, 10:43
(2017-05-26 09:47)DavidHB Wrote:  

David

Logically speaking (not that logic ever had much play at Linn Marketing Wink just kidding):
The current UK upgrade price for the Klimax Exaktbox to Katalyst is £3400 (on a £10850 initial price). That is a 6-channel box, and that's a 31% increase. So the upgrade price for the AEBox6 may well also be 31% which is £1190. But - how many DACs is that? 3 or 6?
If it's 6, and if it's number of DAC's dependent, the AEBox10 upgrade would have to be slightly higher than 31%.
Logically speaking.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user