Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 14:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please

Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please
2017-05-28, 20:52
Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please
Had a great Saturday, returning home with two Tiger Paw products.
The sKale was easy enough to fit and its advantages were immediately obvious; particularly in the lower end. Great, cool for school, etc.

Not so the Tranquillity, which has now been removed and, right now, is in danger of being slung out with the trash. The instruction sheet is probably fine for someone who likes to fiddle about with his Sondek over the weekends, but I just got frustrated and gave up after an hour trying to decipher what it all means.

"Replace the outer platter and check that it is rotating freely." Manually rotate? Because the platter isn't doing anything when I click the speed switch.
On first fitting, I don't hear any noise or scraping. Is that good, then? Because, two paragraphs later, the instructions say, "if you [...] do not hear any scraping sound then you need to raise the lower disc until you reach the point that they make contact when the platters are both in place."
I don't get this. Why not make it fit closer in the first place. There's a huge gap between both magnetic discs. Probably more than the grooved spindle cover on the lower disc can accommodate. Is there really that much variance between one LP12 and another?
"One turn". What is that, a full 360 rotation, or...
Incrementally adjusting it by one turn each time is going to take a long time. Can't it be spun up closer to the upper disc, and then work down?

I'm trying to understand here...
Now, we need to get the two discs physically rubbing against each other? The first paragraph of the instruction sheet starts by telling us to "keep both parts separate [...] keep them well apart". Grrrr, it's confusing...

If anyone can offer a simpleton's guide to fitting the Tranquillity, I'd be most grateful

Oak LP12_Lingo1_Kore_Ittok III_nude Akiva | Unidisk 1.1/d | AKtuner
KK/2_AKontrol/0/d_KCT/d {Lejonklou K-200} 212 | 2250/d - 225 | AV5105 - Tukan | Sizmik 10.25 | Intersekt R4S5 | Isol-8 MiniSub Wave {Silvers}
+Technics SL1210s | Urei 1620 | Nakamichi System One | AV5125/d - Katan (Aktiv) | Roomamp 2i
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-05-29, 12:47 (This post was last modified: 2017-05-29 12:55 by Happy Listener.)
RE: Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please
(2017-05-28 20:52)moog_man Wrote:  Had a great Saturday, returning home with two Tiger Paw products.
The sKale was easy enough to fit and its advantages were immediately obvious; particularly in the lower end. Great, cool for school, etc.

Not so the Tranquillity, which has now been removed and, right now, is in danger of being slung out with the trash. The instruction sheet is probably fine for someone who likes to fiddle about with his Sondek over the weekends, but I just got frustrated and gave up after an hour trying to decipher what it all means.

"Replace the outer platter and check that it is rotating freely." Manually rotate? Because the platter isn't doing anything when I click the speed switch.
On first fitting, I don't hear any noise or scraping. Is that good, then? Because, two paragraphs later, the instructions say, "if you [...] do not hear any scraping sound then you need to raise the lower disc until you reach the point that they make contact when the platters are both in place."
I don't get this. Why not make it fit closer in the first place. There's a huge gap between both magnetic discs. Probably more than the grooved spindle cover on the lower disc can accommodate. Is there really that much variance between one LP12 and another?
"One turn". What is that, a full 360 rotation, or...
Incrementally adjusting it by one turn each time is going to take a long time. Can't it be spun up closer to the upper disc, and then work down?

I'm trying to understand here...
Now, we need to get the two discs physically rubbing against each other? The first paragraph of the instruction sheet starts by telling us to "keep both parts separate [...] keep them well apart". Grrrr, it's confusing...

If anyone can offer a simpleton's guide to fitting the Tranquillity, I'd be most grateful

Moog - have sent you a private message.

Suggest also reading back the other thread - with the steps guide although this may not be fully instructive. Start at the last page and work back.
2017-05-30, 04:38
Without wanting to spend two weeks reading everything on the forum, my local Linn dealer thought they were "ambiguous" instructions, to say the least, as did I and that's why I took it to them.

Sondek, Hammond, Leslie, Rhodes and Moog.
2017-05-31, 00:17
Im surprised no one has made a youtube video as of yet .
2017-05-31, 16:08
You are right, we should have done a how to video, it is something that several dealers mentioned would be helpful. I'll try and get something done this weekend:-)
2017-05-31, 20:24
(2017-05-31 16:08)TPA Wrote:  You are right, we should have done a how to video, it is something that several dealers mentioned would be helpful. I'll try and get something done this weekend:-)

I installed mine with little trouble, and I'm not a tweaker. Result is more listenable music on a variety of LPs. I can't be more specific. But a video would be excellent, jus to be sure I've got it optimized. Thanks.

LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/EkosSE/sKale/Kandid; DS3 Katalyst; Unidisk 1.1; Klimax Kontrol; Solos; Tannoy Kensington SE/ST200 on Townsend iso stands; Sound Application SA1 power conditioner; Luminous Synchestra Ref ICs; LFD Grainfree Biwire spkr cables w/silver jumpers; Morph power cords
2017-06-01, 07:12
Roger, I will add that eventually we got there, quite possibly more by luck than judgement? Both gents at my dealership were quite intrigued, chins were stroked with abandon as they absorbed the concept! They probably still are but I'm listening to the music Smile
DD

Sondek, Hammond, Leslie, Rhodes and Moog.
2017-06-04, 13:44 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-04 13:46 by moog_man.)
Thanks to all that have posted, and apologies for the slooooow response... just logged back in today.

I'll give this another go and hope for an improved outcome.
Whilst I do appreciate there is a 'mother' thread on the Tranq, let's not go there. Lost the will to live, let alone follow it after it devolved into a hornet's nest of the usual, My Belief System is Better Than Yours, blah. I'm just after a simple solution to fit the thing.
As others have indicated, it's difficult to know if we're doing it right. Then I can decide if it's as impressive as it sounded in the dealer's showroom.

(2017-05-31 20:24)Chaucer Wrote:  
(2017-05-31 16:08)TPA Wrote:  You are right, we should have done a how to video, it is something that several dealers mentioned would be helpful. I'll try and get something done this weekend:-)

I installed mine with little trouble, and I'm not a tweaker.
Perfect. This is where I'm at.
Could you elaborate more on how you installed it, please Smile

Oak LP12_Lingo1_Kore_Ittok III_nude Akiva | Unidisk 1.1/d | AKtuner
KK/2_AKontrol/0/d_KCT/d {Lejonklou K-200} 212 | 2250/d - 225 | AV5105 - Tukan | Sizmik 10.25 | Intersekt R4S5 | Isol-8 MiniSub Wave {Silvers}
+Technics SL1210s | Urei 1620 | Nakamichi System One | AV5125/d - Katan (Aktiv) | Roomamp 2i
2017-06-05, 22:32
[/quote]

I installed mine with little trouble, and I'm not a tweaker.
[/quote]
Perfect. This is where I'm at.
Could you elaborate more on how you installed it, please Smile
[/quote]

I pretty much just followed the written instructions. I made the adjustments to the bottom plate after removing it from the bearing. That just seemed sensible. I also made surer that the platter spun without resistance--without the belt, of course. I'm not sure if I've really reduced the distance between top an bottom plates as much as possible, but I did raise the bottom plate a couple of times before deciding that I'd done enough. I'm sure that the video instructions will give us more tips, but I'm OK for now.

LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/EkosSE/sKale/Kandid; DS3 Katalyst; Unidisk 1.1; Klimax Kontrol; Solos; Tannoy Kensington SE/ST200 on Townsend iso stands; Sound Application SA1 power conditioner; Luminous Synchestra Ref ICs; LFD Grainfree Biwire spkr cables w/silver jumpers; Morph power cords
2017-06-06, 20:06

No joy yet :-(.

I have been reluctant to try this magnetic mod and could be moved to make the leap if a good video of how it is installed were available.

Just listen .... or not