Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 02:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please

Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please
2017-06-07, 22:14
RE: Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please
We've done the video tutorial and I'm waiting for a friend to add some graphics etc. Sadly not an area I'm familiar with:-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-06-08, 15:52 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-08 15:55 by Cymbiosis.)
This thread just reinforces from what I said on day one. Please get your dealer to fit your Tranquility if possible. If this is not possible, then the selling dealer should be happy and able to talk through the process on the phone.

It's fair to say that I have run up against a few issues with fitting the Tranquility to some LP12s over the months since launch and have always fed back as much information as I can to Roger so as he could make the necessary engineering adjustments as necessary. It is fair to say that all of the issues related to production variations outside of the Tranquility itself; Different 3rd party sub-chassis use requiring different neck lengths on the Tranquility and also the surface finish to the outside of the bearing on the early Cirkus bearings c.1993-4.

With all these external factors now known and overcome, I have developed a test rig/jig so as I can visualize and adjust any tranquilities exactly and for optimum performance without risk of the pads fouling when I have to supply mail order.
This rig has allowed me to 100% QC the Tranquilities I have received and keep a close eye on TP's production quality. All this for a product that sells for only £399.00 - YES! As it really matters!

Anyway, my advice still stands that a dealer/experienced person should install the Tranquility, as in a free LP12 suspension system, the arm-board and hence sub-chassis will drop a little when a tranquility weighing 175g is added to the sprung mass. It may only be a very small amount but we all want our LP12s 100% right so as to gain full benefit from the Tranquility's installation.

KR

Peter

P.S Roger I await the video!Big Grin

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-15, 20:20
Has a video been released yet ?
2017-07-15, 21:44
I'm beginning to think it's easier to return the Tranq and exchange for another product. Preferably one with intelligible instructions Big Grin

Oak LP12_Lingo1_Kore_Ittok III_nude Akiva | Unidisk 1.1/d | AKtuner
KK/2_AKontrol/0/d_KCT/d {Lejonklou K-200} 212 | 2250/d - 225 | AV5105 - Tukan | Sizmik 10.25 | Intersekt R4S5 | Isol-8 MiniSub Wave {Silvers}
+Technics SL1210s | Urei 1620 | Nakamichi System One | AV5125/d - Katan (Aktiv) | Roomamp 2i
2017-07-15, 22:05
Problem is, there is no "other product" that does what the Tranquility does Smile
Really worth getting this set up correctly as it does so much for peanuts...Get your deck to a dealer who is familiar with both LP12's and the Tranquility-well worth the effort imho.
ATB,
Mark

Source 1: Cymbiosis Sondek- CH Fluted Ebony plinth,Karmen,Aro w/ Skale, Linn Kandid,Urika, TP Tranquility, Chord Music IC, Vulkan shelf
Source2: Cymbiosis Sondek- CH Macassar Ebony plinth,Khan,Aro w/ Skale,DV Xv1-s,Whest Titan Pro, TP Tranquility, Chord Music IC, Vulkan shelf.
2017-07-15, 22:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-15 22:39 by moog_man.)
(2017-07-15 22:05)varyat Wrote:  Problem is, there is no "other product" that does what the Tranquility does Smile
Really worth getting this set up correctly as it does so much for peanuts...Get your deck to a dealer who is familiar with both LP12's and the Tranquility-well worth the effort imho.
Mark, I appreciate that it may be peanuts for you, but a lot of money for me, unfort.
And, if they can't even write an instruction sheet that makes sense, then I'd prefer to direct my funds elsewhere.

I got caught up in the initial excitement, over on the main Tranq thread, and, noticing that a few dealers were offering it mail order, figured that it was a plug n' play product. Apparently not. Had I known this, I wouldn't have bought it.
When I next have a reason/ funds to travel up to Cymbiosis, maybe I can revisit the idea, safe in the knowledge that someone more capable than I will fit it correctly. Until then, I'd prefer a refund.

Oak LP12_Lingo1_Kore_Ittok III_nude Akiva | Unidisk 1.1/d | AKtuner
KK/2_AKontrol/0/d_KCT/d {Lejonklou K-200} 212 | 2250/d - 225 | AV5105 - Tukan | Sizmik 10.25 | Intersekt R4S5 | Isol-8 MiniSub Wave {Silvers}
+Technics SL1210s | Urei 1620 | Nakamichi System One | AV5125/d - Katan (Aktiv) | Roomamp 2i
2017-07-16, 16:47
I've also been hoping the now long promised video would surface.

I might spring for a Tranquility were I more comfortable with the exact details of fitment.

The pobability of getting a demo here falls somewhere between 0 and epsilon.

Just listen .... or not
2017-07-16, 23:24
I bought a Tranquility in the US after a demo at Accent on Music in Mt. Kisco, New York, a northern New York City suburb.

I did have to drive over 200 miles to get there from the Washington, DC region, however. I brought my son and David was very generous in giving him a detailed and practical introduction to high fidelity.

(My son was very enthusiastic about the the aphorism that, "Youth must be served." but he distorted the message to construe this to mean, "Serve your youth.")

At the same time I had the McDonald Keel Clone installed. Notwithstanding a curious and unresolved problem (Thanks anyway, Glyn.) with an arm rebound at the end of a side, the sound is magnificent.

This week I'm going to install a preamp upgrade from a a Nad C 216 to a Krell KRC 3.

I'll let the forum know the result but I can hardly imagine how the sound could be much better.

John Hirsch
2017-07-17, 13:13 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 13:16 by Andy.)
(2017-07-15 21:44)moog_man Wrote:  I'm beginning to think it's easier to return the Tranq and exchange for another product. Preferably one with intelligible instructions Big Grin

Possibly, the problem is not with the instructions ... but with your comprehension ability? So I'll try and make it easy for you.

To fit is quite easy:
1. Wind the lower part of the Tranqu (which has the black plastic threaded insert) "up" so that the threaded insert doesn't project past the top of the lower ring.

2. Press the plastic collar at the base of the lower part of the Tranqu down onto the top of the subchassis. The Cirkus bolts should fit into the 3x semi-circular cutouts on the Tranqu base. The magnet ring is upper-most.

3. Fit the upper part of the Tranqu to the underside of the inner platter. This magnet ring is lower-most.

4. Put the bearing stub on the inner platter into the bearing (making sure there is an appropriate amount of oil in the bearing).

5. When it has sunk down as far as it will go ... switch on the motor.

6. If you followed #1 to the letter ... you will hear the 2 magnet rings grinding against each other (as the lower magnet ring is riding too high).

7. Remove the inner platter and wind the black plastic threaded insert in 1 revolution (which lowers the lower magnet ring).

8. Repeat 4 & 5.

9. If you hear 'grinding', repeat steps 4-8 until you no longer hear 'grinding'.

Andy

(2017-07-16 23:24)John Hirsch Wrote:  This week I'm going to install a preamp upgrade from a a Nad C 216 to a Krell KRC 3.

I'll let the forum know the result but I can hardly imagine how the sound could be much better.

John Hirsch

One's sound can always be made better! Big Grin

Andy
2017-07-17, 17:42 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 17:44 by Happy Listener.)
Andy - I would suggest there's an easier way at P4/5 & onwards.

i.e. re-install the inner platter and, with due care (using tissue/dry towel to prevent marking the outer platter - this should be done throughout), put the outer platter on upside down and carefully try and spin it. I would not re-engage the belt & motor given that there's oil about and the need for careful handling, plus you need ultimately to check the ability for the bearing/Tranq to spin freely. I also cinched the locking ring as I tested towards the rubbing point i.e. as a clear calibration point (see on).

When I did mine, I also weighted the inverted outer platter with the mat + 180g of (LP) weight (just to be sure).

Once the vital rubbing point has been found (in the way you outline), I released the locking ring slightly via twisting the thread, turned the locking ring 1 turn with a slot screwdriver (mine is very tight), and re-tightened via a simple twist of the thread.

Re-install the platters again (outer platter upside down and weighted) and it should spin very freely. We can debate how much the locking ring needs to be twisted to establish the optimum spacing - I settled at one turn.

But then I had to re-set my suspension, which was a bit of a faff given the differing spring compressions and change in the centre of mass - thankfully I have a jig to assist.

I would submit, as has been said above, this isn't a DIY fit for a lot of people given the need to re-set suspensions in many cases. In my case, I would say, the tasks weren't far off 50/50 time-wise.

I have sympathy with Moog, as I too found the instructions a tad confusing at the outset.