Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please

Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please
2017-07-17, 21:28
RE: Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please
(2017-07-17 17:42)Happy Listener Wrote:  Andy - I would suggest there's an easier way at P4/5 & onwards.

i.e. re-install the inner platter and, with due care (using tissue/dry towel to prevent marking the outer platter - this should be done throughout), put the outer platter on upside down and carefully try and spin it. I would not re-engage the belt & motor given that there's oil about and the need for careful handling, plus you need ultimately to check the ability for the bearing/Tranq to spin freely. I also cinched the locking ring as I tested towards the rubbing point i.e. as a clear calibration point (see on).

When I did mine, I also weighted the inverted outer platter with the mat + 180g of (LP) weight (just to be sure).

Once the vital rubbing point has been found (in the way you outline), I released the locking ring slightly via twisting the thread, turned the locking ring 1 turn with a slot screwdriver (mine is very tight), and re-tightened via a simple twist of the thread.

Re-install the platters again (outer platter upside down and weighted) and it should spin very freely. We can debate how much the locking ring needs to be twisted to establish the optimum spacing - I settled at one turn.

But then I had to re-set my suspension, which was a bit of a faff given the differing spring compressions and change in the centre of mass - thankfully I have a jig to assist.

I would submit, as has been said above, this isn't a DIY fit for a lot of people given the need to re-set suspensions in many cases. In my case, I would say, the tasks weren't far off 50/50 time-wise.

I have sympathy with Moog, as I too found the instructions a tad confusing at the outset.

A good 'tune-up' of my methodology, HL. Wink

Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-18, 00:20
(2017-07-17 13:13)Andy Wrote:  Possibly, the problem is not with the instructions ... but with your comprehension ability? So I'll try and make it easy for you.
'Andy' - do you always preface your advice with such belligerence? Some may agree that it's amusing - but only because you invalidate such a "well-meaning" response by your arrogance.
For a genuinely helpful response, see the post immediately following yours. He didn't feel compelled to belittle anyone. Instead, a recognition that, as others have established on the main Tranq thread, the instructions aren't that straightforward.
And, guess what? I already admitted I don't have much clue in the thread title. Duh..

If you'd been following this thread, you will have realised that this case was closed over the weekend. The Tranq is being returned for store credit.

Oak LP12_Lingo1_Kore_Ittok III_nude Akiva | Unidisk 1.1/d | AKtuner
KK/2_AKontrol/0/d_KCT/d {Lejonklou K-200} 212 | 2250/d - 225 | AV5105 - Tukan | Sizmik 10.25 | Intersekt R4S5 | Isol-8 MiniSub Wave {Silvers}
+Technics SL1210s | Urei 1620 | Nakamichi System One | AV5125/d - Katan (Aktiv) | Roomamp 2i
2017-07-18, 00:27
(2017-07-18 00:20)moog_man Wrote:  'Andy' - do you always preface your advice with such belligerence? Some may agree that it's amusing - but only because you invalidate such a "well-meaning" response by your arrogance.

Point taken.

(2017-07-18 00:20)moog_man Wrote:  If you'd been following this thread, you will have realised that this case was closed over the weekend. The Tranq is being returned for store credit.

Having returned the Tranqu, you appear to be proud that you are missing out on the substantial improvement in SQ which the Tranqu delivers?

Andy
2017-07-18, 00:43
(2017-07-18 00:27)Andy Wrote:  Having returned the Tranqu, you appear to be proud that you are missing out on the substantial improvement in SQ which the Tranqu delivers?
How can I be proud if I haven't managed to experience what the Tranq will do for my deck?
Again, read the thread... next time I have an opportunity to travel up to Cymbiosis, I will revisit the idea. because, at least then, someone better qualified than I can fit it.

Oak LP12_Lingo1_Kore_Ittok III_nude Akiva | Unidisk 1.1/d | AKtuner
KK/2_AKontrol/0/d_KCT/d {Lejonklou K-200} 212 | 2250/d - 225 | AV5105 - Tukan | Sizmik 10.25 | Intersekt R4S5 | Isol-8 MiniSub Wave {Silvers}
+Technics SL1210s | Urei 1620 | Nakamichi System One | AV5125/d - Katan (Aktiv) | Roomamp 2i
2017-08-02, 13:12
(2017-06-07 22:14)TPA Wrote:  We've done the video tutorial and I'm waiting for a friend to add some graphics etc. Sadly not an area I'm familiar with:-)

Has this project been abandoned?

It would be helpful, and at one time you appeared to be on board.

Just listen .... or not
2017-08-04, 02:04
bump to push the question back to the fore

Surely it could be answered .... we've abandoned the video, or it will be out in the Fall, or whatever.

It's sort of a courtesy, no?

Just listen .... or not
2017-08-06, 02:41 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-06 02:46 by Lexon.)
(2017-08-04 02:04)Peer Gynt Wrote:  bump to push the question back to the fore

Surely it could be answered .... we've abandoned the video, or it will be out in the Fall, or whatever.

You bloody Americans just keep going on and on.Rolleyes
Dont eat the Salmon mouse.Big Grin
2017-08-06, 02:52 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-06 05:44 by Andy.)
(2017-08-06 02:41)Lexon Wrote:  
(2017-08-04 02:04)Peer Gynt Wrote:  bump to push the question back to the fore

You bloody Americans just keep going on and on.Rolleyes

Not everyone outside Blighty has to be a Yank! I believe GR is from South Efrika. (And I am from Oz. Big Grin ) Not sure where PG is from (Scandinavia, by the moniker? Big Grin ).

Andy
2017-08-06, 02:57
(2017-08-06 02:41)Lexon Wrote:  You bloody Americans just keep going on and on.Rolleyes

I missed the Salmon Mouse.

I'm avoiding the Salmon Mousse.

It smells funny.

Just listen .... or not
2017-08-06, 05:39 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-06 05:39 by Glyn Ruck.)
Poms & Yanks = 2 nations separated by a, so called, common language.