Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 17:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please

Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please
2017-08-06, 13:22 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-06 13:31 by Peer Gynt.)
RE: Fitting a Tranquillity - Idiot's How To guide, please
Shows what we know. I thought Afrikaans was the language of South Africa.

It has often been said that England and the USA are separated by a common language though.

I had a cousin who rose to become president of a seminary/college in Capetown.

He's retired and home now. Some of his stories curl my hair.

Edit: POM is not a term I've ever seen in US English. So I googled to discover that it appears to be a derogatory term from Australia, referring to persons of English heritage who are immigrants.

So ... it was my error to think this might refer to South Africans.

Just listen .... or not
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-06, 19:41 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-07 06:04 by Glyn Ruck.)
The etymology is not clear. TOMMIES, POMMIES, REDCOATS AND LIMEYS as terms for the British hark back to conflicts in the mid 1700's onward.

South Africa has 11 official languages with English being the most commonly spoken after local African languages.

The British call us Saffers. South Africans, Aussies & New Zealanders (Kiwis) tend to call the British Poms.

The South Africans have a heritage that is nothing to be proud of but neither do the British, Germans, Australians, US, Japanese, Spanish, Dutch etc.etc. Read up on British concentration camps during the Anglo Boer War as an example.

e.g. Colonisation & all it's ills, is a perspective related to time.
2017-08-06, 23:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-06 23:47 by Peer Gynt.)
All countries have their moments of pride. And it is admirable when they also acknowledge their moments of shame. But both pride and shame are in eyes of the beholder.

What I found (and I acknowledge that it might not be true) is that Pom is short for pomegranate. Supposedly, recent immigrants colored up like ripe pomegranates or something.

I had never heard the term before this use.

And, back to the post by TPA, is there a video coming, or not?
Pushy American is one view ... the other is "what's up with the video?"

Just listen .... or not
2017-08-07, 00:38
(2017-08-06 23:45)Peer Gynt Wrote:  What I found (and I acknowledge that it might not be true) is that Pom is short for pomegranate. Supposedly, recent immigrants colored up like ripe pomegranates or something.

That's a cute invention by a linguist, I think - as an Aussie, I've never come across it. As Glyn wrote - 'Pommie' goes back a long way. My understanding is that early convicts were called "Prisoners of Mother England" - then the 'E' was dropped ... to leave POM.

And it's not really a derogatory term for Brits - simply a nickname. If we want to be derogatory we would say "whining Pom" or "ten pound Pom" - terms which sprang up because too many of the early English migrants who came out to Oz on assisted passages (they had to pay 10 pounds ... the Australian Government paid the rest) decided that the new country wasn't like the old country ... so they whined about its disadvantages all the time. Big Grin

Andy
2017-08-07, 05:41 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-07 05:49 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2017-08-07 00:38)Andy Wrote:  
(2017-08-06 23:45)Peer Gynt Wrote:  What I found (and I acknowledge that it might not be true) is that Pom is short for pomegranate. Supposedly, recent immigrants colored up like ripe pomegranates or something.

That's a cute invention by a linguist, I think - as an Aussie, I've never come across it. As Glyn wrote - 'Pommie' goes back a long way. My understanding is that early convicts were called "Prisoners of Mother England" - then the 'E' was dropped ... to leave POM.

And it's not really a derogatory term for Brits - simply a nickname. If we want to be derogatory we would say "whining Pom" or "ten pound Pom" - terms which sprang up because too many of the early English migrants who came out to Oz on assisted passages (they had to pay 10 pounds ... the Australian Government paid the rest) decided that the new country wasn't like the old country ... so they whined about its disadvantages all the time. Big Grin

Andy

Whinging Poms in RSA Big GrinTongue ~ Also Govt. assisted here. Lived like kings compared with "back 'ome in the UK" & in a decent climate.
2017-08-07, 07:34
(2017-08-07 05:41)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  
(2017-08-07 00:38)Andy Wrote:  

Andy

Whinging Poms in RSA Big GrinTongue ~ Also Govt. assisted here. Lived like kings compared with "back 'ome in the UK" & in a decent climate.

Haha - yes, - and still they whinged!Tongue

Andy
2017-08-07, 13:15
Bringing the topic back to the OP's question, WOULD TPA STEP UP AND EITHER ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THERE WILL BE NO VIDEO, OR THAT ONE IS STILL IN THE WORKS?

Just listen .... or not
2017-08-08, 02:29 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-08 02:32 by Lexon.)
(2017-08-07 13:15)Peer Gynt Wrote:  Bringing the topic back to the OP's question, WOULD TPA STEP UP AND EITHER ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THERE WILL BE NO VIDEO, OR THAT ONE IS STILL IN THE WORKS?
If i was Roger I wouldn't bother replying to your belligerent and now shouting posts.Rolleyes
Its a great product and really easy to fit even if you have half a brain. Cool
2017-08-08, 03:11
He stopped responding to go pout long ago.

The definition of belligerent ranting is apparently different in your neck of the woods than in mine. Polite society here offers help.

One of these jokers said a video was forthcoming, and then left.

I swear it is hard to understand why Linn puts up with the near counterfeiting that some of you offer. I don't view the Tranquility mod as counterfeiting because it is off the beaten track. It's the one clever bit in a sea of "we're smarter than Linn" knockoffs.

Meanwhile, my sole interest here was to gently coax the "gentlemen" back to their position of offering help. Instead, perhaps they've sent you to blow it off for them.

At this point, no video is necessary. It would appear that none is forthcoming.

If some folks want turn their LP12 into a kludge, with TPA "enhancements," certainly it's their right.

At this point, I'm settled on the idea that I do not.

Just listen .... or not
2017-08-09, 17:38 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-09 17:41 by Lexon.)
(2017-08-06 19:41)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  The etymology is not clear. TOMMIES, POMMIES, REDCOATS AND LIMEYS as terms for the British hark back to conflicts in the mid 1700's onward.

South Africa has 11 official languages with English being the most commonly spoken after local African languages.

The British call us Saffers. South Africans, Aussies & New Zealanders (Kiwis) tend to call the British Poms.

The South Africans have a heritage that is nothing to be proud of but neither do the British, Germans, Australians, US, Japanese, Spanish, Dutch etc.etc. Read up on British concentration camps during the Anglo Boer War as an example.

e.g. Colonisation & all it's ills, is a perspective related to time.
Glyn,
You missed Portugal and Wales off your list.Big Grin