Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 05:19 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Fine Tuning SPACE Optimization, To Get The Best Out of Davaar 173 Through To 185

Fine Tuning SPACE Optimization, To Get The Best Out of Davaar 173 Through To 185
2017-06-08, 17:57
RE: Fine Tuning SPACE Optimization, To Get The Best Out of Davaar 173, 174 and 175
I am thinking that if some Linn owners were to post on this thread, pictures of their listening room, their room dimensions showing their room features, such as windows, doors, room openings, bay windows and so on, and their SPACE optimization settings, both calculated and your current SPACE optimization tweaks, for each room mode frequency, gain and bandwidth.

Please describe as best you can if you are having issues with boomyness, harsh vocals, shoutyness, lack of depth and dimension, muddied vocals and so on.

I will take a look and perhaps make some recommendations.

Please understand that it would not take long to be overwhelmed with requests, but given some time to get to your post, I will try to address each request. Please be patient!!!

I would like to emphasize that I may not be able to make any improvements to your system, without being able to hear your actual system, but I am hoping that this will be a tool to help guide you and others from this exercise.

My hope is that this becomes an instructive exercise. Big Grin

Oh Lordy, what have I done??? Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-06-08, 18:53
RE: Fine Tuning SPACE Optimization, To Get The Best Out of Davaar 173 Through To 177
(2017-06-08 17:57)Paulssurround Wrote:  I am thinking that if some Linn owners were to post on this thread, pictures of their listening room, their room dimensions showing their room features, such as windows, doors, room openings, bay windows and so on, and their SPACE optimization settings, both calculated and your current SPACE optimization tweaks, for each room mode frequency, gain and bandwidth.

Please describe as best you can if you are having issues with boomyness, harsh vocals, shoutyness, lack of depth and dimension, muddied vocals and so on.

Please understand that it would not take long to be overwhelmed with requests, but given some time to get to your post, I will try to address each request. Please be patient!!!

I would like to emphasize that I may not be able to make any improvements to your system, without being able to hear your actual system, but I am hoping that this will be a tool to help guide you and others from this exercise.

This should help with getting the SO setup. The filenames are a bit obscure but if you match the modification time to the modification time shown in Konfig for your current profile you won't go far wrong. For most people I expect the current profile is probably the most recent.
http://phino.gnarx.de/index.php?d=link1&...name=link1

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-06-08, 19:38 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-08 20:38 by Paulssurround.)
RE: Fine Tuning SPACE Optimization, To Get The Best Out of Davaar 173 Through To 177
(2017-06-08 18:53)phino Wrote:  
(2017-06-08 17:57)Paulssurround Wrote:  I am thinking that if some Linn owners were to post on this thread, pictures of their listening room, their room dimensions showing their room features, such as windows, doors, room openings, bay windows and so on, and their SPACE optimization settings, both calculated and your current SPACE optimization tweaks, for each room mode frequency, gain and bandwidth.

This should help with getting the SO setup. The filenames are a bit obscure but if you match the modification time to the modification time shown in Konfig for your current profile you won't go far wrong. For most people I expect the current profile is probably the most recent.
http://phino.gnarx.de/index.php?d=link1&...name=link1

Thanks Phino,

Please highlight your latest settings for me, so it will be easier for me and others to see your current settings. Thanks.

I'll take a look this evening

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
2017-06-08, 21:01
I think you misunderstand... the link will allow people to display their SO settings in a browser window which they can then either screen-dump and upload here or create a pdf or something.
Don't worry, your favourite SO profile isn't being sent to the internet, it's all done locally in your browser.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-06-09, 14:41
(2017-06-08 21:01)phino Wrote:  I think you misunderstand... the link will allow people to display their SO settings in a browser window which they can then either screen-dump and upload here or create a pdf or something.
Don't worry, your favourite SO profile isn't being sent to the internet, it's all done locally in your browser.

Hi Phino,

Thank you for your contribution.

It looks impressive, and must have taken many hours to develop. Big Grin

Hopefully we can have Linnies post their SPACE settings on here, with other relevant information, and make suggestions about adjusting their SPACE settings to potentially get better sound quality?

Cheers
Paul

Exakt Surround 5.0:
2017-06-09, 14:51
Tempted... let's see if I find the time this weekend.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-06-09, 14:59
(2017-06-09 14:51)mcgillroy Wrote:  Tempted... let's see if I find the time this weekend.

Sounds good.

Let's see if we can get some better results for you? Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
2017-06-09, 15:29 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-09 15:35 by JPO2005.)
Lol

[Image: Room_for_Paul.jpg]

Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)
Hörland - Over 40 years LINN
Open Source Seite: http://www.jpo-aktuell.de/OpenSource.php

New LP12, Radikal, Urika, Kore, Ekos SE, Kristal / QNAP 569 Pro / RME UCX
Akurate Exakt DSM2 / Kinsky (Minim) - Sneaky
Akubarik with Amp Stands / Silvercable - Unik / K200
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-06-09, 16:19
(2017-06-09 15:29)JPO2005 Wrote:  Lol

[Image: Room_for_Paul.jpg]

Thanks Jorn,

No guarantees this will work, but lets give it a try?

It should be a good starting point, and is just a suggestion, without the benefit of having the ability to listen to your system.

Create a new profile stored under a new name, "Jorn's Experiment" so you can revert back to your original profile settings if it doesn't work.

Change room mode 1 at 28.89 Hz(Calculated) to a gain of -32.54 and bandwidth of 0.069619

Change room mode 2 at 42.82 Hz(Calculated) to a gain of -32.33 and bandwidth of 0.043716

Change room mode 5 at 66.36 Hz(Calculated) to a gain of -0.0

Change room mode 6 at 71.41 Hz(Calculated) to a gain of -0.0

Create a custom room mode 1 at 21.5 Hz (For Akubariks), with a gain of -11.12, and a bandwidth of 0.014427

Create custom room mode 2 at 63.5 Hz, gain -5.82, and bandwidth of 0.014427

Create custom room mode 3 at 74.3 Hz, gain -8.32, and bandwidth of 0.029864

Toe-In your speakers 2.5-3.0 cm.

These are starting values, and of course would benefit from both you and I being there to listen and adjust.

As you are an experienced Linn dealer, you will know what to listen for in your reference tunes. Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
2017-06-09, 16:44
Hi Paul,

what is "Toe-In your speakers 2.5-3.0 cm"?

Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)
Hörland - Over 40 years LINN
Open Source Seite: http://www.jpo-aktuell.de/OpenSource.php

New LP12, Radikal, Urika, Kore, Ekos SE, Kristal / QNAP 569 Pro / RME UCX
Akurate Exakt DSM2 / Kinsky (Minim) - Sneaky
Akubarik with Amp Stands / Silvercable - Unik / K200
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user