Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-18, 07:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Linn's Summer Promotion 2017

Linn's Summer Promotion 2017
2017-07-16, 23:43
RE: Linn's Summer Promotion 2017
(2017-07-16 20:52)Catweazle Wrote:  
(2017-06-09 13:58)Music at Home Wrote:  To paraphrase the opening post of this thread: https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=33682

Now that the small matter of the General Election is out the way, Linn owners can return to a question with far-reaching implications for the quality of their music life...

What will Linn's summer promotion be?

Now, as the ghost appears to be out of the bottle, I'm plagued by the question: Should I trade-in my obsolete pre-amp and put an Akurate Exaktbox between my KRDSM and C6100 / active Espekish AV5140? Going for a Klimax Exaktbox is by far out of reach budget-wise, and a Radikal to up my LP12 is apparently not eligible with this summer promo.
Any thoughts?

Cheers CW

You will never believe you are listening to AV5140s when they have been "ExaKted"...much more than "well worth it".

Victrola 1922 Floor model.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-10, 11:57
I'll see my trusted dealer tomorrow for a pre-Katalyst KDSM with and without Akurate Exaktbox demo. I'll happily report back to you guys.
2017-08-10, 14:13
That should be an interesting test. Colour me curious. Smile
2017-08-11, 19:04 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-11 19:07 by Catweazle.)
I'm just back from my dealer:

Actually I took my KRDSM there (it was not clear if the pre-Katalyst KDSM would still be available), and auditioned it in two configurations:
1. active Magic Isobarik driven by a Majik 6100 / Majik 2100 amps setup
2. same Magic Isobaric with identical amps, but through an Akurate Exaktbox in place of the active crossovers.

First of all: The Majik Isobarik is an astounding speaker in its own right (at least activated and driven by "enough" frotend), and I wonder why it has been discontinued by Linn?

Without the Exaktbox (config 1.) the speakers where playing very directly "into the face" building a wide soundstage.

With the Exaktbox (config 2.) the whole system changed character. The speakers sort of disappeared acoustically, and I actually had the feeling one could take them away without disturbing the sound. But my dealer promised this would not work, and I trust him :-)

The soundstage appeared to be narrower and the source appeared to be somewhere way behind the speakers, actually outside of the listening room.
I'd compare the effect with live music when you are very close to the stage and get the sound from the speakers at the left and the right side of the stage, versus standing well centered but a couple of rows backwards (more or less where the sound engineers like to set their booth up). You don't hear the individual speakers anymore, but a homogeneous soundfield.

Some of the "snappy effects" disappeared, but the music was much more coherent (as in: true). It was very interesting to go back from 2. to 1. because the re-appearing snapiness (which I admittedly was missing a bit, at first) now seemed to me somehow artifical and not really a part of the music.

After going back to 2. I listended through a wide spectrum of my favourites. Especially with more complex music like CAN's Ege Bamyasi album, the Exakted system got a better grip on the different threads, and managed to weave a fabric rather than jumping from one thread to another.

Some more mugs of coffee - and happy listening - and I finally decided to trade in my long time companion AV5103 system controller and go for the AEbox 6. Now it's time to wait for delivery, and hear how the box can handle my AV 5140 with Espec tweeters.

And of cause the decision would have been an easier one with some more info on the advent or non-advent of Katalysed AEboxes, and the respective upgrade options...

The thrill is *not* gone ... ;-)
2017-08-11, 19:31
This is where Tin comes in and says "You'll want a sub with that" Big Grin
However, he might have a point this time.
Your demo was with Misos, so no slouch in the bottom end to start with, but more importantly, the demo Exaktbox will have been an Exaktbox 10 and therefore would be running dual mono filters for the Misos. The Aebox 6 can't run dual mono at the moment (I believe it will when Katalyst comes), so there'll likely be less bass extension.
I'm not saying you'll be disappointed - Exakt is a fantastic upgrade! Just that your demo was perhaps not very representative.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-08-11, 22:30
Valid point @phino!
I did'nt mention my AV 5150 subwoofer, though. Current plan is to try it at the analog output of the KRDSM in parallel to the AEbox 6 and see how it goes. "Plan B" would be to get an Exaktbox Sub. Not such a big investment after all these years as a Linnie.
But this is something I can definitely try out at my home before making a decision. And going step by step has its merits in itself.
So: I'm not that much concerned about lack of seismic energy to engage my neighbours ;-)
2017-08-12, 00:22
(2017-08-11 22:30)Catweazle Wrote:  Valid point @phino!
I did'nt mention my AV 5150 subwoofer, though. Current plan is to try it at the analog output of the KRDSM in parallel to the AEbox 6 and see how it goes. "Plan B" would be to get an Exaktbox Sub. Not such a big investment after all these years as a Linnie.
But this is something I can definitely try out at my home before making a decision. And going step by step has its merits in itself.
So: I'm not that much concerned about lack of seismic energy to engage my neighbours ;-)

All is in-hand then I see Big Grin However, you can't hang the sub off the KRDSM I don't think, except perhaps for movies fed via hdmi (not sure about that, all that surround stuff if a mystery to me!) . With Stereo the analogue outs will be a bit ahead of the Exaktbox due to the time it takes to process Exakt. You should be able to daisy-chain the Sub to the line-out of the amp that feeds the bass driver of the speakers though.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-08-12, 08:51 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-12 08:53 by Tin.)
No need for me to start mentioning subs I think. It's all under control. Big Grin
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qCbYHZ5DrCY

Interesting description of Exakt though. Gives me something to think about while having no funds fot Exakt. Wink
2017-08-12, 15:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-12 15:20 by Music at Home.)
(2017-08-12 00:22)phino Wrote:  With Stereo the analogue outs will be a bit ahead of the Exaktbox due to the time it takes to process Exakt. You should be able to daisy-chain the Sub to the line-out of the amp that feeds the bass driver of the speakers though.

As I understand it, when the DSM is configured to run Exakt links and analog outputs simultaneously, the analog outputs are delayed by the DSM by an appropriate amount. That has to be the case as otherwise although Konfig allows the option to assign the analog outputs as sub, centre or surround channels, they wouldn't actually be usable as such. So I think even in pure stereo mode, the analog outputs will be fine to drive a sub.

ADS/3 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-08-12, 15:30
I'm not so sure if that works. Originally the DSMs could only add delays for HDMI sources if I remember correctly, and this page suggests the same: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Surround_Sound