Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-06-28, 02:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Linn Kairn Pro Power Supply v Serial Number

Linn Kairn Pro Power Supply v Serial Number
2017-06-19, 08:21
RE: Linn Kairn Pro Power Supply v Serial Number
(2017-06-17 14:55)Tendaberry Wrote:  
(2017-06-16 20:05)dazza2355 Wrote:  Hi Guys.

Linn confirm that my Kairn Pro is a 2000 vintage with slimline brilliant power supply fitted. Its not been back to them for service but I'm not bothered as its obvious this unit has been well looked after. It is in short immaculate. Just a few stubborn fingerprint marks and thats it.
I've now had a chance to test my Kairn Pro. There are no ERR messages on power up. The unit just reverts to its previous volume setting. I'm guessing this means battery is fine. I might open it to find out but for now I'll assume all is ok. Gotta say the Kairn is mouse quiet.
I'm using AUX 1 for LP12/LINTO. Tried AUX 2 & spookily preferred AUX 1. Not sure if thats a reality but hope it is. Sounds it to my ears anyway.
If i have one small concern it is this. Vinyl sounds a tad slow. It is incredibly detailed with a bigger deeper soundstage. Musicians are well positioned and separation is a joy. I use Mk 1 Kans (with Mk2 tweeters) on Mk 2 Stands and I've not heard my Kans sound like this before. Bass is taught and its all there. Kans are never going to knock your block off but wow, they sound good. I except they are an acquired taste but I love them.

So. All is good. Very good in-fact except for this one itch i'm trying not to scratch.....any thoughts?

System - LP12/Ekos/AT-F7 with Linto, Linn Kairn Pro, LK140.....& a Linn Classik K used for its Tuner & CD functions only and Linn Kans. Interconnects - Linn Blacks throughout. Speaker cable is Naim NACA4

Maybe a recap could do wonders? Those who have done it are very excited about the results.
Oh, and have you inverted the polarity?

Ooops. No. I've not inverted the polarity. Thanks T.
.........But whats a recap?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-06-19, 14:59
(2017-06-19 08:21)dazza2355 Wrote:  

Linn confirm that my Kairn Pro is a 2000 vintage with slimline brilliant power supply fitted. Its not been back to them for service but I'm not bothered as its obvious this unit has been well looked after. It is in short immaculate. Just a few stubborn fingerprint marks and thats it.
I've now had a chance to test my Kairn Pro. There are no ERR messages on power up. The unit just reverts to its previous volume setting. I'm guessing this means battery is fine. I might open it to find out but for now I'll assume all is ok. Gotta say the Kairn is mouse quiet.
I'm using AUX 1 for LP12/LINTO. Tried AUX 2 & spookily preferred AUX 1. Not sure if thats a reality but hope it is. Sounds it to my ears anyway.
If i have one small concern it is this. Vinyl sounds a tad slow. It is incredibly detailed with a bigger deeper soundstage. Musicians are well positioned and separation is a joy. I use Mk 1 Kans (with Mk2 tweeters) on Mk 2 Stands and I've not heard my Kans sound like this before. Bass is taught and its all there. Kans are never going to knock your block off but wow, they sound good. I except they are an acquired taste but I love them.

So. All is good. Very good in-fact except for this one itch i'm trying not to scratch.....any thoughts?

System - LP12/Ekos/AT-F7 with Linto, Linn Kairn Pro, LK140.....& a Linn Classik K used for its Tuner & CD functions only and Linn Kans. Interconnects - Linn Blacks throughout. Speaker cable is Naim NACA4

Maybe a recap could do wonders? Those who have done it are very excited about the results.

Recap is the replacement of the electrolytic capacitors. The electrolyte tends to dry up with age - after 10 - 20 years, depending on quality. It can make quite a big improvement on some occasions, less so on others. I recapped my 40 year old Naim NAC 12S, NAP 160 and HiCap about three years back and was surprised (and a bit annoyed, because of the 800 € cost!) to discover that I didn't hear any difference. Whether that had anything to do with the fact that the system had been boxed and not used for the previous 15 years, or whether during that time my hearing had deteriorated / my ability to listen critically had been lost, I have no idea.

Cheers

Roy

Main System: 1976 LP12 (with some updates till 1985), DV20X2L, ADSM Renew, Kaber Active X-over + 3x LK140, K600, Kabers, (Naim CD 5SI, no longer actively used)
Reserve System: Naim NAC 12S (with MC boards), HiCap, NAP 160, NAC4, Linn Sara 9s
2017-06-26, 11:19
(2017-06-19 14:59)RMA Wrote:  
(2017-06-19 08:21)dazza2355 Wrote:  

Recap is the replacement of the electrolytic capacitors. The electrolyte tends to dry up with age - after 10 - 20 years, depending on quality. It can make quite a big improvement on some occasions, less so on others. I recapped my 40 year old Naim NAC 12S, NAP 160 and HiCap about three years back and was surprised (and a bit annoyed, because of the 800 € cost!) to discover that I didn't hear any difference. Whether that had anything to do with the fact that the system had been boxed and not used for the previous 15 years, or whether during that time my hearing had deteriorated / my ability to listen critically had been lost, I have no idea.

Cheers

Roy

Thanks T

Polarity inverted. Can't say I've noticed a difference though!

However, before I did that I played a few album tracks to convince myself the sluggish sound I was hearing wasn't imagined. Gotta say I must have been having a bad day as the system sounded super. I'm a happier now. Much happier.

I've a favour to ask the forum.
Can someone please point me in the direction of a used Linn Kairn remote control unit. I'd like to purchase one
I'm using my Linn Classik K remote. It does most of what is necessary but I'd reallly like a Kairn remote. I recently missed one on eBay but these are are beasts.
A heads up would be much appreciated

Thanks
Dazza
2017-06-26, 16:44 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-26 16:46 by mcgillroy.)
This is a very nice system. The Kairn is great and always amazing to hear how it transforms a chain. Add some silvers and NACA5 eventually and it is almost endgame Wink

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - LK280/Spark - Kaber