Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-22, 21:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Opinions on Kan MK1

Opinions on Kan MK1
2017-07-08, 06:23
Opinions on Kan MK1
Hello all, I have a chance to buy a pair of Kan MK1 and Kan stands for $700Cdn, the guy will even deliver them to me! I currently have a pair of lndex II being driven by a Majik Integrated. I listen mostly to vocal jazz in a medium sized room. Any opinions on whether or not I should jump on these?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-08, 09:44
RE: Opinions on Kan MK1
You asked this same question last week and got a good spread of views. Can you be more specific in your question? What are you still concerned about?

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-07-08, 09:53
The Linn Kan, especially the MK I is THE Marmite speaker!

I love them and would never be without them, the fastest most engaging speaker when set up correctly. They really need a solid wall behind them.

They can produce more bass than many people think, they work great with Naim amps and a LP12 up top.

I'd go for them, their real strength is their mid range which absolutely shines with female vocals, right up your alley. They are also streets better than your current speakers!!

Regards,

Mark
2017-07-08, 10:53
(2017-07-08 06:23)SanAla71 Wrote:  Hello all, I have a chance to buy a pair of Kan MK1 and Kan stands for $700Cdn, the guy will even deliver them to me! I currently have a pair of lndex II being driven by a Majik Integrated. I listen mostly to vocal jazz in a medium sized room. Any opinions on whether or not I should jump on these?
Selling my Kans ( Mk 1s Ihad from new) was the silliest thing I ever did. The better the amp, the better the sound. Not for everybody, and I'd check the sound on the end of the Majik.
2017-07-08, 18:30
(2017-07-08 09:53)Tangerine Audio Wrote:  The Linn Kan, especially the MK I is THE Marmite speaker!

I'm not going to comment on The Kan because it's years since I've heard a pair.

However, I do not like Marmite. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
2017-07-08, 19:24 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-08 19:25 by Ant_61.)
I am setting up a second system , my speakers.......a second set of Kan MK1’s (says it all for me)
They do need a powerful amp to sound their best, and as said before a solid wall.
Sitting on the Kan stands is the best way, get the stands as close to the wall as you can.

I dislike marmite but luv my kan’s

Main system, Lp12 tranquility , trampoline 2 , Cirkus bearing and sub chassis, lingo 3, Black Ittok LV11, Kairn Pro, Linto, LK280/Spark x2, Kudos. Kan11’s, silvers.

Lounge, Sneaky DS, kan’s

Kitchen, Kinekt room amp, sweetspot speakers. Streamed via Tidal.
2017-07-09, 01:49
Thanks for the feedback, I am asking because I have not heard them in 20 years and wanted to make sure that my memory of them is correct! I love sweet mid range and from what I remember they had that in spades.

The pair I am buying are in great condition and come with the Kan stands too. How do you think they will sound with the Majik Integrated?
2017-07-09, 02:39
I had a pair of kans for over 30 years in both small then medium sized rooms. The sound was perfect: musically / tonally accurate and fast, with plenty of bass. They had to be mounted with the proper stands and hard up against the wall. The system was an LP12, ekos, Klyde fronted by naim then LK amps (very "wife unfriendly"). When the domestic pressure got too much I sold the LP12 and went cd, all the music and bass disappeared, then the kans also had to go.

If you get them get ready to spend more £/$ later. They can be musically very rewarding, but I learned they were best suited to an vinyl based system. If you do change format and upgrade with them you will hear big differences but they are unforgiving if you don't. And if your Mrs like the way they look; then you will be a luckier man than me!!
2017-07-09, 10:25
(2017-07-09 01:49)SanAla71 Wrote:  Thanks for the feedback, I am asking because I have not heard them in 20 years and wanted to make sure that my memory of them is correct! I love sweet mid range and from what I remember they had that in spades.

The pair I am buying are in great condition and come with the Kan stands too. How do you think they will sound with the Majik Integrated?

What is the source?

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-07-09, 16:44
I have a Mimik CDP and a laptop through an Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable to a Schiit Modi 2 DAC.