Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 16:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Opinions on Kan MK1

Opinions on Kan MK1
2017-07-12, 21:56
RE: Opinions on Kan MK1
Whether you should go down the Naim route is a moot point. The reason Linn started making their own amps is because they felt that they could do better. IMHO, they succeeded. The Naim amps were clear and dynamic, but not particularly tuneful (yet, still more tuneful than most other amps at the time, except the Creek CAS4140SII!). The Kairn is an excellent pre-amp for around £400 and works excellently with the LK280/Spark combo at about £800. The Kan/Kairn/280/Spark combo is fantastic and really gets to the heart of the music. TBH, I've had to go to Exakt Akudoriks to match the musicality of this combination (although the Akudoriks have a much better sound!).

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-15, 01:12
Many people hated the early Linn amps compared to the Naim. It was a far more laid back sound. The truth is that the Kan Mk1 was built by Linn using Naim amps to voice and develop them. One thing you ought to be aware of is that all the classic Linn speakers of the time including the Kan inverted the phase of the signal in the crossover. The LK1 preamp was built so that it inverted phase too , so the speaker was producing positive phase when wired correctly.

With all Naim amps you should reverse polarity at the speakers ( ie red banana in black socket ) to get the absolute phase correct. It is not a huge effect but on things like kick drum it sounds better when absolute phase is correct. If anyone disbelieves me , just try it and see.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-07-15, 11:48
(2017-07-15 01:12)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Many people hated the early Linn amps compared to the Naim. It was a far more laid back sound. The truth is that the Kan Mk1 was built by Linn using Naim amps to voice and develop them. One thing you ought to be aware of is that all the classic Linn speakers of the time including the Kan inverted the phase of the signal in the crossover. The LK1 preamp was built so that it inverted phase too , so the speaker was producing positive phase when wired correctly.

With all Naim amps you should reverse polarity at the speakers ( ie red banana in black socket ) to get the absolute phase correct. It is not a huge effect but on things like kick drum it sounds better when absolute phase is correct. If anyone disbelieves me , just try it and see.

The Kans were released in 1979 and went through a series of upgrades until 1988.

The LK1&2 were released in 1985, so the early versions would have been designed with Naim amps, as you say, and the later versions with the Linn amps.

My favourite Kan I's were produced after 1985 when the hf unit, lf unit, crossover and binding posts were changed. They should really be referred to as the "Kan II", because they're practically a different speaker to the original Kan I, but Kan I.1 would be more accurate I suppose.

2017-07-15, 11:51 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-15 11:51 by Mirage F1.)
(2017-07-15 01:12)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Many people hated the early Linn amps compared to the Naim. It was a far more laid back sound. The truth is that the Kan Mk1 was built by Linn using Naim amps to voice and develop them. One thing you ought to be aware of is that all the classic Linn speakers of the time including the Kan inverted the phase of the signal in the crossover. The LK1 preamp was built so that it inverted phase too , so the speaker was producing positive phase when wired correctly.

Spot on, all the highs on my LP12 calmed down to sweet and controlled highs- Kairn>>Klout. (I swapped the phase around)

Linn LP12- Cirkus, Ekos II, Tiger Paw Tranquility/Akula/Khan Troika- Linto- Lingo2- Kairn Pro- Klout- Kabers
Ikemi- Teddydac-Klout- Kabers
2017-07-15, 14:52
[/quote]

The Kans were released in 1979 and went through a series of upgrades until 1988.

The LK1&2 were released in 1985, so the early versions would have been designed with Naim amps, as you say, and the later versions with the Linn amps.

My favourite Kan I's were produced after 1985 when the hf unit, lf unit, crossover and binding posts were changed. They should really be referred to as the "Kan II", because they're practically a different speaker to the original Kan I, but Kan I.1 would be more accurate I suppose.
[/quote]

How can I determine which "version" mine are? Serial number is 029141. To my old ears, even with my modest gear, they sound amazing... But if I can have my local Linn guy (Aaron at Sound Hounds) upgrade them, that would be fantastic!

Thanks again
2017-07-15, 17:00

[/quote]

How can I determine which "version" mine are? Serial number is 029141. To my old ears, even with my modest gear, they sound amazing... But if I can have my local Linn guy (Aaron at Sound Hounds) upgrade them, that would be fantastic!

Thanks again
[/quote]

It looks like you've got one of the later pairs with updated hf, x/o, sockets but not bass unit. These appeared at s/n 33005/6. There was also another mod to the x/o at 39005/6.

2017-07-15, 18:16
(2017-07-15 17:00)spannko Wrote:  
(2017-07-15 14:52)SanAla71 Wrote:  

Thanks again
[/quote]

It looks like you've got one of the later pairs with updated hf, x/o, sockets but not bass unit. These appeared at s/n 33005/6. There was also another mod to the x/o at 39005/6.
[/quote]

In your opinion, are the bass unit upgrades and xo updates worth the cost? I do have a fantastic tech here.
2017-07-15, 20:23
(2017-07-15 18:16)SanAla71 Wrote:  
(2017-07-15 17:00)spannko Wrote:  
(2017-07-15 14:52)SanAla71 Wrote:  

Thanks again

[/quote]

In your opinion, are the bass unit upgrades and xo updates worth the cost? I do have a fantastic tech here.
[/quote]

Each of the upgrades took the Kans to another level, however, KEF stopped making the B110's many years ago and used or New Old Stock are rare and attract a premium and I'm not sure if the capacitors are still available either. Personally, I'd stick with what you've got, but definitely look out for a later pair and then sell yours. The cost of upgrading will be minimal because most people are not aware of the differences between the various versions of the Kan I's.

2017-07-17, 18:49

[/quote]

Thanks again
[/quote]
Good news is that both drive units used in the early Mk1 Kan are available from Falcon Audio. The Scanspeak tweeter D2008 851200 with ferrofluid damping and cooling and re-engineered fabric textured dome takes this tweeter to the next level. Highly detailed resolution and sweet neutrality plus amazingly open and dynamic. The first 50 hours are a real journey of discovery. Amazing. Fitted to my 1992 Briks and jaw droppingly good even at levels where the whole house seems to be moving.
Female vocals are to die for.

The Falcon Audio B110 is an exact reproduction of the original Kef B110. Same bextrene cone all remanufactured exactly to spec.
Here is what you can get, you could practically build a complete new pair.
Some enterprising soul could make a living here.
http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/drive-u...units.html

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-07-19, 10:26
(2017-07-17 18:49)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  ..., you could practically build a complete new pair.
Some enterprising soul could make a living here.
http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/drive-u...units.html

Go on then Eddie ...

...what are you waiting for Big Grin

[I agree with everything you said about Kans .
They still have a certain magic that sets them apart ]