Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:04 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Opinions on Kan MK1

Opinions on Kan MK1
2017-10-03, 15:21 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-03 15:21 by Briain.)
RE: Opinions on Kan MK1
A 140 should sound very nice!

When I was in school 6th year, I had a Rega 3, Nytech amplifier and Mission 710s. When I started work, I saved up for a LP12, then saved up for some Kans. I one of the chaps in the Linn dealership (Mike, who became a good friend and is very sadly no longer with us) amusingly said 'I bet changing from the Missions to the Kans was a little like crawling out of a sewer' which was highly amusing (and alarmingly accurate, too)! Smile

Of course, I eventually ended up with a Naim 12s and 250 to drive the Kans (and an LP12 Ittok and Asak feeding into that lot made a wonderfully musical sound), then after a few years, I bought the shops ex-demo Isobariks which sounded fabulous (though I was still living at home at the time; needless to say, my parents didn't share my enthusiasm for Isobariks) but even though I loved the Isobariks (and all that bass) I did miss the 'immediacy' of the Kans; they really were remarkably musical when you fed them from decent kit (though they could sound pretty poor when fed by junk).

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-03, 19:20
(2017-09-28 16:41)SanAla71 Wrote:  So, I have been listening to the Kan MK1 for about a month now and really enjoying them. At this point they are being driven by a Sneaky. Should the phase be inverted on the speakers?

The Kan crossover inverts phase ( as does the Sara too and the Isobarik ).
If you have the Neutrik type XLR speaker sockets it is quite involved ie resolder to reverse the polarity but it is worth doing. You can check the absolute phase by connecting a small 1.5 volt AA battery to the + and - pins of the speaker socket. You will find the bass cone moves backwards when it should move forwards. Linn amps such as the LK1 were phase inverting to correct this anomaly, so the speakers were then in absolute phase.
If your Sneaky does not invert phase you should rewire the XLR sockets.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-10-04, 02:10
(2017-10-03 19:20)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  
(2017-09-28 16:41)SanAla71 Wrote:  So, I have been listening to the Kan MK1 for about a month now and really enjoying them. At this point they are being driven by a Sneaky. Should the phase be inverted on the speakers?

If you have the Neutrik type XLR speaker sockets it is quite involved ie resolder to reverse the polarity but it is worth doing. You can check the absolute phase by connecting a small 1.5 volt AA battery to the + and - pins of the speaker socket. You will find the bass cone moves backwards when it should move forwards. Linn amps such as the LK1 were phase inverting to correct this anomaly, so the speakers were then in absolute phase.

Thanks for the idea... But how the hell do I get to see the drivers? I have never tried to take off the grills?

Thanks
Alan

Sneaky DS, LK140, Kan MK1, K20
2017-10-04, 02:50
(2017-10-03 19:20)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  

Hi Dr Eddie,

Can I ask, on a set of Kans with banana plugs are you saying that driven from the a Naim 250 the red (positive) from the 250 should go to the black (negative) banana socket on the back of the Kans?

Cheers

John

(Main Room - Lejonklou Kikkin 2.2 - Majik DS - 2250D - Akurate 212's - Quad PA-One - Sennheiser HD800s ) ( TV Room - Auralic Aries Mini - Naim Headline - Beyerdynamics DT880's ) ( Tidal - ReadyNas Duo - Kazoo ) ( Linn mains cables, Kimber 8TC speaker cable, Mogami interconnects ) ( LP12-Ittok-Karma -retired!! )
2017-10-05, 17:19
So, I am happy to report that the LK 140 is enroute and should arrive next week. I am excited to hear the Kans with a bit more muscle driving them!

Sneaky DS, LK140, Kan MK1, K20