Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 00:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Development v / Kazoo Server - can select but not play songs

Kazoo Server - can select but not play songs
2017-07-13, 10:35
Kazoo Server - can select but not play songs
Hi there - I am not able to play songs coming from a Linn Kazoo Server (latest stable version) running on a Mac mini with latest MacOS Sierra. On the streamer side I see the Server, I can browse the Songs and Albums (from iTunes; most ripped to ALAC) and the like but when I select a song there's not music. With other UPnP server this problem does not exist. Any hints? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-13, 12:24
RE: Kazoo Server - can select but not play songs
Well, Kazoo Server is not a UPnP Server. It is an OpenHome Server, OpenHome being a development of the UPnP AV standard. Which player/renderer are you using?

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-13, 13:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-13 14:32 by sunshine.)
Oh, I was not aware of that - my bad. Right now I am using a Naim ND5 XS and an Onkyo NR-646 as renderer (and hopefully a DSM in the future).

How could I use Linn Kazoo Server with the above mentioned renderers?

Edit: Added question
2017-07-13, 14:40
(2017-07-13 13:12)sunshine Wrote:  Oh, I was not aware of that - my bad. Right now I am using a Naim ND5 XS and an Onkyo NR-646 as renderer (and hopefully a DSM in the future).

Those devices are not AFAIK OpenHome compatible. You can however make them compatible using the misleadingly named BubbleUPnP Server, which is not actually a server at all, but a set of middleware, providing additional services and connectivity for UPnP devices.

If you want a music server that is more widely compatible and runs on a number of platforms, MinimServer would be my recommendation. It is the server software I use with my Linn DSMs.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-07-13, 14:44
David - thank you. I will certainly try both of them.
2017-07-14, 08:26
BubbleUPnP in combination with Linn Kazoo Server did not work for me - same problem as described above. Also tried MinimServer, Twonky and others - Asset seems to fit the bill for my use, though not being able to support iTunes playlists. I used to use Yazsoft's Playback which was a joy to use (really universal plug and play). But unfortunately it is not supported anymore. Is there something similar to Playback out there?
2017-07-14, 10:21 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-14 17:00 by DavidHB.)
(2017-07-14 08:26)sunshine Wrote:  BubbleUPnP in combination with Linn Kazoo Server did not work for me - same problem as described above. Also tried MinimServer, Twonky and others -

I'm a bit surprised that Bubble UPnP Server didn't provide a fix, as it usually seems to. But without knowing your system and hardware, there's not a lot more I can do.

I think it is important to be clear how things are supposed to work. UPnP (strictly UPnP AV in this context) is a protocol that assumes (and I'm simplifying things here) that the system has three main components, each of which will be some sort of software or app running on some sort of hardware. The three components are the server, the control point and the renderer or player, and those names pretty much define what each component does. DLNA uses the UPNP AV protocols, so for present purposes they can be regarded as the same thing.

Note also that you can have more than one component running on the same hardware. For example, I can have all 3 running on one of my PCs, and many commercially available streamers have built-in control point functionality. In that way, they can work in an analogous way to a CD player, with control on a built-in display from an IR remote.

Linn does things differently. It was the main sponsor of OpenHome, which is an open source development of the UpnP AV protocol. OpenHome, as it were, transfers the ownership of the playlist from the control point to the renderer. This not only makes gapless playback (which requires the player to be fetching the beginning of the next track while the current track is still playing) easier to implement, but it also means that you can shut down the control point, or transfer to another one, without interrupting playback. As the phones and tablets that are often used as controllers are typically designed to go into standby at the earliest opportunity, this is a significant advantage. Unfortunately, OpenHome has only been taken up by a relatively small number of manufacturers apart from Linn.

I hope that this explains in more detail the compatibility issues you have been seeing.

(2017-07-14 08:26)sunshine Wrote:  Asset seems to fit the bill for my use, though not being able to support iTunes playlists ... I used to use Yazsoft's Playback which was a joy to use (really universal plug and play). But unfortunately it is not supported anymore. Is there something similar to Playback out there?

The issue with the iTunes playlists is the classic problem of proprietary software versus open standards, which is the main reason why I gave up using iTunes years ago (before I even owned a streamer). I believe you can now export iTunes playlists to standard formats, so it might be worth checking what Asset supports in that respect (I know that MinimServer supports .m3u playlists).

Not being a Mac user, I wasn't aware of the Yazsoft application, but I see that there are a number of apps that claim to be replacements. Of course many such apps are designed to be simply local players, not network media streamers; the suitability of any particular app will depend on what platform you are using as a player, where and how you store your music files and what you want to use as a controller.

David

2017-07-14, 14:36
David - thank you for the thorough explanation. I shall look into the possibilities of exporting iTunes playlists while dreaming of Playback's comeback...