Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 01:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Space optimisation problem

Space optimisation problem
2017-07-14, 13:43
RE: Space optimisation problem
I think their research may have found that the opposite is actually the case.
But I do agree when it comes to carpet or not. That would seem huge. But then, sometimes what seems obviously the case turns out not to be so.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-14, 13:51 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-14 13:56 by Baba Yaga.)
Deleted, wrong thread
Find all posts by this user
2017-07-14, 21:56
Regarding carpets vs. structural materials, don’t forget that SPACE is concerned primarily with counteracting the unwanted effects of modal frequencies below 100Hz. In an enclosed resonant chamber such as a room, the absorption and dissipation of these lower frequency energies, and the subsequent remaining amount of resonant energy that has to be managed, is more dependent on wall, floor and ceiling construction materials than it is on the surface material properties. Coverings such as carpets, curtains, cushions, etc. are more relevant to higher frequency absorption, and hence reverberation time (i.e. affecting whether the room tends towards sounding live or dead).

It’s worth noting, though, that the bandwidth (rather than amplitude) of resonance modes varies inversely with reverberation time. It stands to reason that compensatory modal cuts, however they are applied, should have correspondingly broader or narrower bandwidths in accordance with reverberation times. To generalise, if your room is scantily clad, it might be worth experimenting with further narrowing the default calculated SO bandwidths, and vice versa.
2017-07-15, 06:46
That's interesting Fred. Without knowing why, that is exactly what I did with Paul. Narrow bandwidths - scantily clad room. So now I have the logic behind it Smile

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-15, 08:18
(2017-07-15 06:46)timster Wrote:  That's interesting Fred. Without knowing why, that is exactly what I did with Paul. Narrow bandwidths - scantily clad room. So now I have the logic behind it Smile

Thanks from me too, Fred. As timster said, your explanation makes things a lot clearer.

The other side of the coin is that we should always bear in mind that Space Optimisation is a heuristic procedure - that is, good enough to do the job and hopefully capable of progressive improvement, but not necessarily the pinnacle of perfection. Strictly speaking, the term 'optimisation' is a misnomer in this context. Though, as far as I know, Linn is the only company that has implemented such a procedure entirely in software, and in such a way that it can be used in legacy as well as current products. And that is far more important than the dictionary definition of the name.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-16, 12:54
Having played around with SO on both my systems I will chip inShy

My main room is rectangular so relatively easy to enter the SO criteria.
This led to an immediate improvement getting rid of obvious resonances.

My second system is in an L shaped kitchen/dinning room with very oddly positioned speakers due to wifey constraints.
SO here still sounded a bit "odd" ,although better than without.

Lacking Paulsurrounds magic ears I then went through a HiFi test disc (Hi Res). Listening to the lower frequency tones up to about 200Hz showed lots of issues in the L shaped room. So I added custom filters to 'equalise' the test tones (by trial and error).
That improved things massively.
Good way to while away a few hoursTongue

Any way the result is musical happiness.Big Grin

KDSM3/Aktive Akubariks/Innuous Zen11
LP12/Ekos/Dynavector XX2/Lingo/Cirkus/Kore/Rega Airia
Kitchen-MDSM/PMC DB1
2017-07-16, 13:13
Great result Dave - thanks for sharing. ISmile

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-07-16, 22:47
Quote:Lacking Paulsurrounds magic ears I then went through a HiFi test disc (Hi Res). Listening to the lower frequency tones up to about 200Hz showed lots of issues in the L shaped room. So I added custom filters to 'equalise' the test tones (by trial and error).

Can you provide more info about the test disc please?
2017-07-17, 12:42
(2017-07-16 22:47)MeaCulpa Wrote:  
Quote:Lacking Paulsurrounds magic ears I then went through a HiFi test disc (Hi Res). Listening to the lower frequency tones up to about 200Hz showed lots of issues in the L shaped room. So I added custom filters to 'equalise' the test tones (by trial and error).

Can you provide more info about the test disc please?

Hi sure,
http://www.hdtracks.co.uk/audiophile-hi-res-system-test

KDSM3/Aktive Akubariks/Innuous Zen11
LP12/Ekos/Dynavector XX2/Lingo/Cirkus/Kore/Rega Airia
Kitchen-MDSM/PMC DB1
2017-07-17, 14:29
(2017-07-16 12:54)Dave W Wrote:  Having played around with SO on both my systems I will chip inShy

My main room is rectangular so relatively easy to enter the SO criteria.
This led to an immediate improvement getting rid of obvious resonances.

My second system is in an L shaped kitchen/dinning room with very oddly positioned speakers due to wifey constraints.
SO here still sounded a bit "odd" ,although better than without.

Lacking Paulsurrounds magic ears I then went through a HiFi test disc (Hi Res). Listening to the lower frequency tones up to about 200Hz showed lots of issues in the L shaped room. So I added custom filters to 'equalise' the test tones (by trial and error).

Managing L-shaped rooms is difficult.

Managing Wifey constraints is very difficult.

Managing L-shaped rooms combined with Wifey constraints is pretty much impossible. Good luck.