Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / Sneaky DS - good start to streaming?

Sneaky DS - good start to streaming?
2017-07-15, 00:12
Sneaky DS - good start to streaming?
First off, thanks to everyone who has been with my upgrade path. I have been offered a mint condition Sneaky DS at a fair price, is it a worthwhile step up from my laptop & dac combination? If so, can I connect my hard drive directly to it and control from my Android device? Can the Sneaky connect wirelessly to my stored music?

I apologize if I have posted in the wrong section or if these topics have been covered already.

Thanks
Alan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-15, 06:44
RE: Sneaky DS - good start to streaming?
You can connect any DS with a UTP network cable to your network.
If you have the music on your laptop, you need to control the music using your laptop, but if you copy the music to a NAS you can use your laptop, phone and/or tablet to control the music. (*)

I am sure it would be a very worthwhile increase in musical performance. I wan't to bet it will make you shake your head in disbelief and/or keep you giggling for a while.

*) This is the most practical answer to your question.
You could add a WiFi repeater close to the DS, to it would be sort of wirelessy, and there are possibilities control the music from a phone while the music is stored on your laptop.
But as you want to have a backup of your music in case the laptop fails anyway, it is worthwhile adding a NAS to your network anyway. So do yourself a favour and add a NAS to your wishlist too. Wink

Tin can telephone system.
2017-07-15, 07:00
Basically, as Tin said, a DS can only be 'wiredly' connected to a network. After that, it can access your music that is also connected to the network by using a music server, which your laptop can host.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-15, 11:26
Not so sure the Sneaky DS is a great match with the Kans, I would want to try that before buying. Maybe you can find a Majik DSi at a good price...

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM1/Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Kudos /2 x C6100-D/Akubarik (active bass).
2017-07-15, 15:10
(2017-07-15 06:44)Tin Wrote:  You can connect any DS with a UTP network cable to your network.
If you have the music on your laptop, you need to control the music using your laptop, but if you copy the music to a NAS you can use your laptop, phone and/or tablet to control the music. (*)

I am sure it would be a very worthwhile increase in musical performance. I wan't to bet it will make you shake your head in disbelief and/or keep you giggling for a while.

You could add a WiFi repeater close to the DS, to it would be sort of wirelessy, and there are possibilities control the music from a phone while the music is stored on your laptop.
But as you want to have a backup of your music in case the laptop fails anyway, it is worthwhile adding a NAS to your network anyway. So do yourself a favour and add a NAS to your wishlist too. Wink

The good news is that I do have a NAS drive on my network already as a backup to my music so maybe I can get my laptop out of the chain. I do not have a network jack in my listening room but I found a wireless "booster" that also has a "wired" cat 5 output... Am I correct in assuming that I could plug the DS directly into that? Then use my phone with Kazoo as controller?
2017-07-15, 15:17
(2017-07-15 11:26)Tendaberry Wrote:  Not so sure the Sneaky DS is a great match with the Kans, I would want to try that before buying. Maybe you can find a Majik DSi at a good price...

There are not many DS units for sale on the used market in Canada,and then there is my very limited budget... Sad. I was asking about the Sneaky because I found one in mint condition for a reasonable price, so although not optimal, I am hoping to it gets me into streaming. I am being forced out of my music room (damn kids!) and back into the family room, so I am also looking for an elegant solution for my wife with reasonable sound output.
2017-07-15, 15:25
(2017-07-15 15:10)SanAla71 Wrote:  
(2017-07-15 06:44)Tin Wrote:  You can connect any DS with a UTP network cable to your network.

The good news is that I do have a NAS drive on my network already as a backup to my music so maybe I can get my laptop out of the chain. I do not have a network jack in my listening room but I found a wireless "booster" that also has a "wired" cat 5 output... Am I correct in assuming that I could plug the DS directly into that? Then use my phone with Kazoo as controller?

You could but you'd be relying on the WiFi between the NAS and the DS. I'd suggest a good quality gigabit powerline adapter such as devolo. Get WiFi out of the loop too.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-15, 15:38 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-15 15:40 by SanAla71.)
(2017-07-15 15:25)timster Wrote:  
(2017-07-15 15:10)SanAla71 Wrote:  

You could but you'd be relying on the WiFi between the NAS and the DS. I'd suggest a good quality gigabit powerline adapter such as devolo. Get WiFi out of the loop too.

Tim's terms, you are bloody brilliant! I have never heard of it Majik before... Sounds way smarter then WiFi!! And, although the brand you mentioned is not available over here on the west coast of Canada, there does seem to be similar products! THANK YOU!

Meant to read Timster not Tim's terms... Damn autocorrect!!
2017-07-15, 15:47
You miswrote 'brittle' as well, it came out as 'brilliant'. Smile

Tin can telephone system.
2017-07-15, 16:28
(2017-07-15 15:47)Tin Wrote:  You miswrote 'brittle' as well, it came out as 'brilliant'. Smile

I just spit up my coffee...

But seriously, thanks to people like you, this forum is both fun and educational!